android
Old 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM

Default is UMS is more linux friendly then MTP?

The clix is MTP only, and requires windows media player to work.

The U10 player is available w/UMS, which does not require windows.

Choice seems straight forward to me...am I missing something?

you've probably figured out I don't run windows

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 AM

It is a missunderstanding that MTP "requires" Windows Media Player, there are many players that also have MTP support, for example the latest WinAMP beta.

MTP support was added with WMP 10 in Windows, for a long time it was the only player that supported it, however that doesnt mean it's required for MTP to work.

As for Linux I don't know, I'm sure you can find some player that have support for it, there seem to be a open source library for MTP named "libmtp" however you still need to find some app that implement it.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 AM

Well I just converted my iriver T20 to UMS so I could use it with my Kubuntu system as well as my XP, I think you should choose the U10 over the clix, if U10 already has documented UMS support. I couldn't get Kubuntu to mount the T20 as a USB drive when it was MTS. (Both OSs do now that its a UMS device)

Old 08-12-2006, 06:23 PM

sweet
thanks for the info...

Old 08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezidentchimp
Well I just converted my iriver T20 to UMS so I could use it with my Kubuntu system as well as my XP, I think you should choose the U10 over the clix, if U10 already has documented UMS support. I couldn't get Kubuntu to mount the T20 as a USB drive when it was MTS. (Both OSs do now that its a UMS device)
Of course by choosing a U10 over a Clix, you're giving up a ton of cool useability and device features, speed, album art, etc... Sure I'm biased having worked on the Clix, but I'm always amazed when I read comparisons between the U10 and Clix that suggest getting a U10 "because of UMS (mass storage - or MSC)".

I dunno, maybe mass storage support is SO important for some people - but for my money, a beautiful device that looks, works and draws attention better than an iPod is worth its' weight in gold.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 AM

Hi prezidentchimp,
I saw your post from last year:

"Well I just converted my iriver T20 to UMS so I could use it with my Kubuntu system as well as my XP, I think you should choose the U10 over the clix, if U10 already has documented UMS support. I couldn't get Kubuntu to mount the T20 as a USB drive when it was MTS. (Both OSs do now that its a UMS device)"

I have a T30 (two of, both UMS) and they came formatted as FAT16 filesystems in "sda" NOT "sda1"

Did you "re-partition" your T20 or did Kubuntu just "mount" it automatically ?

My linux distro looked for a partition table on my T30 (saw it as a UMS device at "sda") and correctly stated that the partition table had problems.

To get Linux to successfully "mount" the T30 into the Linux file structure I had to use this command:

"mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/sda"

when I knew that if the T30 had a partition table present, it should have done the same thing with this command instead:

"mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1"

Please could you send me an E-Mail reply, as I do not normally frequent this forum - would really appreciate any of your iRiver-Linux experience/observations :-)

thanks in advance - Peter,
<d4cnobby bigpond com>

Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 AM

I have a Zen VP which is MTP only (not counting the bit of flash you can declare as a UMS 'memory stick' for data only).

It works fine with Amarok in Kubuntu 7.04 with the Amarok & libmtp packages from the repository.

Kubuntu 6.10 required a build from source to work.

When plugged in, KDE wants to treat the MTP device as a camera - cancel the pop-up & start Amarok. Choose Amarok's Devices tab & click Connect.