android
Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Location: avondale arizona.. better then where i use to live..
Default Captain Ødegård's new led show

that is cool man.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0ekekltts
i want to create a led equlizer.. you know.. left is the bass and further you go right it goes into the higher notes.. i think it would be sweet to have like a 10 band equalizer and have it acutally work like one! but then again.. i dont know how it would work.. you seem too have much more electronic smarts then me.. i dont know the big words or anything, but i can get it to work if there were a schematic and a parts list.. i have some led's but i would probably use some other ones.. like square ones.. when you have time. i think it would come out awesome!
newest member is a Sansa Express 1GB

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Already posted it myself :S
Anyways, if you knew just how that thing works you wouldn't be calling it "smarts", it's more or less crap put together in new ways
The VU meter on that thing is a DIY kit from ebay, have another that is still in pieces... I think i know what you're after, but it's not possible the way I make stuff like this.... I use a transistor, it activates the LED's every time the music hits 0.7V. This is usually the bass, however if run straight out of a mp3 player it wont work because it wont reach 0.7V, so i used one of these (or at least some of it) to amplify the signal, then a resistor to adjust it to fit as it came out too high and didnt have a volume control. apparently it filters out bass to prevent speaker from going bananas, hence why that one reacts to higher freqs
anyhoooooooooo
i have SOME idea how to tdo what i think you mean... You basically want 10 stereo VU meters like i use on that thing, each one for a different frequency? thats a matter of filtering out the other frequencies, and i have (almost) no idea how to do that. you can filter out higher freqs using a capacitor between left/right channel and ground, but what you really need is a way to filter exactly

Old 03-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Maybe hooking up 10 cheap EQ circuits in between?

Old 03-31-2007, 02:07 PM

I thought of that... EQ's only enhance/lower frequencis, doesnt remove them totally... you'd have to set the EQ to enhance the frequence you wanted max, and lower all others, but wouldnt be perfect

Old 03-31-2007, 02:09 PM

Yeah, you'd need some higher end 24dB/octave (or better) filters for really isolating single bands... that's not going to be cheap.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:42 PM

what? hmm i do kinda understand what your saying.. well.. if i cant make one from scratch.. you know of anything i can get and make it work? http://www.wristdreams.com/archives/2006_05.html something like this.. would be perfect.. on a larger scale.. there was this equilizer for a computer.. but i cant remeber what it was called.. it took up 2 drive bays.. and had i thing 100 or so leds on it and they were a circle with none in the middle.. you pluged into either you sound card or the sound out.. and i belive it was powered by just one molex connector.. if anything.. ill find that and buy it.

EDIT
wow.. found something that looks like it would work.. but its like dutch to me.. http://sound.westhost.com/project60.htm theres that.. and http://www.discovercircuits.com/V/vu-meter.htm alot of stuff here... as i said.. i have no grasp on this stuff... at all!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:45 PM

um what are you going to do with a 10 band eq anyhoo? Easiest thing would prob be controlling the leds through serial interface with pc, no idea how and frankly this isn't a beginners project or even lcose :/

Old 03-31-2007, 05:00 PM

im not a beginer when it comes to wireing and stuff... i can do that.. i just dont understand all the little symbols.. and why would i want this? cause im always listing to music.. and i would like to have a little light show going on.. that represents certain frequencies of sound.. i dont want a mic in it.. just inline with my sterio..

Old 03-31-2007, 05:24 PM

well this is a giant project, thats for sure, and NOT cheap if you really want 10 band. Ive just ordered 100 UV leds and 20 color changing leds for making more sound to light, love that stuss, its so purty $)

Old 03-31-2007, 05:34 PM

lol.. http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES2965 what about something like this? or these http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/category/11560

i wish i knew of this site years ago...

Last edited by Drekon; 03-31-2007 at 05:45 PM.