android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > iRiver

Old 05-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up iRiver gives customers the choice of switching off DRM

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/05/26...s_custome.html
http://www.iriver.com/mtp/

Quote:
iRiver makes several digital music players that come loaded with an operating system that obeys Microsoft's crippling "Plays for Sure" specification -- which ensures that the device obeys big music companies instead of its owner. Hackers have fixed this for months by providing an unauthorized firmware for the device that turns it into a real MP3 player, and now the company has taken the hint and released an official version.

This is an object lesson in how DRM fails in the marketplace. iRiver's customers don't want DRM -- it makes their device less valuable. They want a device that obeys their wishes, and they're willing to void their warranties to get one.

iRiver can respond by locking down their devices further, but that's just declaring war on their customers. Instead, they did the smart thing and abandoned their Plays For Sure certification (which is meaningless, since Plays For Sure devices are notoriously incompatible in the field, prompting some former customers to call them "Plays For Shit"). They're giving their customers what they demand: legal devices that work as well as the company can make them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-27-2006, 10:02 AM
ABI Founder

Just tried it for the Clix... wont work... =|

Old 05-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, the iRiver site says that it's only available for T10-30, U10 and N12 at the moment.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Default Too bad...

Sorry about being off topic, but how does enzoten pay for ALL those mp3 players.

cheer up - damn emo kid

Old 07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @za
Sorry about being off topic, but how does enzoten pay for ALL those mp3 players.
He's with the Mafia...

Old 07-10-2006, 04:32 AM

Hmmmm... Mafia huh. He does good re-views so i wont put him in. Lol.
Im Aussie and Proud!

cheer up - damn emo kid

Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Buddy

Okay, so I'll jump in here and bite. Probably at my own peril too...

In the interests of clearing up any mis-information - how exactly does PlaysForSure "cripple" a device?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Ah, now you've gone and dun it...

A ton of luddite anti-DRM karma is headed your way, so you better duck!

Obviously, "crippled" is an exaggeration. But there's no doubt that PlaysForSure adds a level of complexity (ironic, given its intentions and those of MTP vs. MSC) that a lot of users, esp. ye ol' "power users," resent. For example, I attached my clix today for the first time in more than 30 days to sync some new music I had just ripped in WMP 11 beta. I'd been listening up until today to a number of tracks that I downloaded from URGE during my free trial subscription (expired 6/17), and some others I had bought a la carte. As our resident PFS expert, can you guess what the seemingly neverending series of errors/freeze-ups and general SNAFUs were, and in what order they occurred?

OK, go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS
Okay, so I'll jump in here and bite. Probably at my own peril too...

In the interests of clearing up any mis-information - how exactly does PlaysForSure "cripple" a device?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited by DLF; 07-18-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Buddy

Default Figured as much...

Hi DLF:

Ya, I figured I'd be in for it - but I genuinely want to open up this debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF
Obviously, "crippled" is an exaggeration. But there's no doubt that PlaysForSure adds a level of complexity (ironic, given its intentions and those of MTP vs. MSC) that a lot of users, esp. ye ol' "power users," resent.
I don't understand this. What requirement of PlaysForSure is of a technology that device makers wouldn't implement anyway? What PlaysForSure does is ensure uniformity of implementation (so devices and services work better together) while allowing vendor differentiation. Where is the complexity?

Let's not confuse PlaysForSure with the inherent complexities involved in supporting subscription content. I absolutely believe that without PFS, you'd have some devices working better with some services than others - and no uniformity of experience. Now, is the experience today perfect? Heck no. But, with the new slew of PlaysForSure v2.0 devices that we'll see around holidays - the subscription experience across the range of devices on the market will be substantially better. Would that be the case without PlaysForSure? I absolutely think not.

And then there's the time old argument of power users vs. average consumers. I agree that power users have completely different needs from average users - but what about PlaysForSure inhibits the power user experience (remembering that a vendor decision to not support MSC is not due to PlaysForSure requirements)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF
For example, I attached my clix today for the first time in more than 30 days to sync some new music I had just ripped in WMP 11 beta. I'd been listening up until today to a number of tracks that I downloaded from URGE during my free trial subscription (expired 6/17), and some others I had bought a la carte. As our resident PFS expert, can you guess what the seemingly neverending series of errors/freeze-ups and general SNAFUs were, and in what order they occurred?
Hmm, I think I'm doomed to failure no matter what my guess. But - I'm sure that your subscription content you downloaded from Urge expired. That's expected behaviour. The a la carte downloads should still play and your ripped content should have transferred.

So - do tell, what happened?

Cheers, Dave.