android
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 AM

Default Anyone interested in the e100 series?

Is it dead?

Hi guys, I'm a new member and (gasp!) I do own an iPod.

BUT, I'm also a past user of the Creative Muvo TX FM (great case!) and a present user of a Sandisk E140.

Here are a few highlights, then I'll see if anyone has interest in discussing these.

- Was $99 CDN at Costco, for 1 GB, that's crazy cheap.
- After some firmware hacks to get v2 firmware, it plays nice with SD cards (used to burn through batteries too quickly).
- Found a decent skin for it at Staples (got lucky, they are a bit rare).
- Comes with nice in-ear headphones that look a lot like re-badged v-moda Bass Freq headpones ($50 US).
- While not a brilliant player, one of the best values I have come across so far for the basic market.

Sorry, I'm just quite pleased about it sinice I already had 2GB SD cards for photography (nice price to get 3 GB).

Anyone interested? If not, I'll just go back into the woodwork and see what happens with the e200 series (looks nice, wonder if I'll ever see them in Canada).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-29-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunga
Is it dead?

Hi guys, I'm a new member and (gasp!) I do own an iPod.

BUT, I'm also a past user of the Creative Muvo TX FM (great case!) and a present user of a Sandisk E140.

Here are a few highlights, then I'll see if anyone has interest in discussing these.

- Was $99 CDN at Costco, for 1 GB, that's crazy cheap.
- After some firmware hacks to get v2 firmware, it plays nice with SD cards (used to burn through batteries too quickly).
- Found a decent skin for it at Staples (got lucky, they are a bit rare).
- Comes with nice in-ear headphones that look a lot like re-badged v-moda Bass Freq headpones ($50 US).
- While not a brilliant player, one of the best values I have come across so far for the basic market.

Sorry, I'm just quite pleased about it sinice I already had 2GB SD cards for photography (nice price to get 3 GB).

Anyone interested? If not, I'll just go back into the woodwork and see what happens with the e200 series (looks nice, wonder if I'll ever see them in Canada).

My wife has one and really loves it and will hold onto it until it blows up.

Old 05-04-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
(looks nice, wonder if I'll ever see them in Canada).
Funny you should ask, I just ordered and received an E250 from a Canadian retailer. With the CAD $20 discount e-coupon I had, the selling price was CAD $183. The E250 is just about perfect for what I wanted it for, I'm now watching for an armband so that I can work-out with it.

On the E130 front, I recently got my spouse one (via E-Bay) and it's a fine unit for music playback and FM radio listening. It's lighter than the E250, takes SD cards, and comes with an armband. Also, it takes a more standard USB cable and can use NMH rechargeable AAA batteries.

So, for the time being, it's work-out using the E130 and commute using the E250.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:01 PM

Sounds good.

How do you like the e250?

I ended up with a 60GB Video iPod (Gasp) because it was the nicest high capacity player at the time and I wanted to try it out. Quite nice, but limit at times.

You can buy any accessory you could ever want for it tho.

The Sansa e140 has been a pretty nice value for a good cheap player for workouts and such. Much better than a shuffle and cheaper than a nano. Just a bit hard to find accessories in Canada.

I like the SD card slot, great way to add a couple Gigs of music. Make sure you update the firmware to v2, may need to do some hacks to get this. It helps with battery life and start up speed. Battery life is much better with an SD card as long as you use v2.

Oh well, just thought I'd chime in because it seems to be an overlooked player in the cheap market. I think it may be discontinued, so grab em while you still can!

Old 05-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I like the SD card slot, great way to add a couple Gigs of music. Make sure you update the firmware to v2, may need to do some hacks to get this. It helps with battery life and start up speed. Battery life is much better with an SD card as long as you use v2.
I just got the E130 and am using a fast 1GB SD card with it. I really like it even though I have more expensive players.

I am interested in how to get my v1 firmware up to v2 firmware. Would you direct me to the proper website?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:36 PM

Heya,

here is the review with the info on upgrading firmware. Take a look at posts around 100 in the comments section. I've copied some info for you. The main thing is that you will likely need Sigmatel drivers (from Creative Site), frimware for your region (from Sandisk) and need to put the player in recovery mode (see below).

http://www.livedigitally.com/?p=277

Here's some of the relevant info:

Firmware version 2.0.0.01a is recently updated on Sandisk site:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1295.

---

Here's how to update the firmware, put it in recovery mode first:

"Simply with device turned off, push and hold menu button and plug in the USB cord while still holding the menu button pushed. After a few seconds (5-15) the computer says that found a device in recovery mode. After that just run the firmware upgrade and the updater will show that you are going to fresh up the firmware in a recovery mode and it will ask you to allow formatting the device. After that the new firmware is loaded to the device and after this ends just turn on and try Information…my shows firmware 2.0.001 E. The startup speed is faster than before and my NiMH 1000mAh accu is still in the device from last Friday. Without this update I was not able to turn it on the second day with the same accu thanks to using external SD card. But now it’s fine."

Note that there is firmware for different region (ie Americas, Europe etc).

Here's the info on the Sigmatel drivers. You will need these to upgrade the firmware. I got them from the creative site as stated in this comment:

"I too got a 1.0 -> 2.0 update to work. The key is to get the SigmaTel STMP3500 recovery mode driver installed. (I got mine from the mass storage drivers install of Creative’s Muvo TX FM’s support page, which apparently uses the same main processor)."

Also, if you have issues, you can put the device in recovery mode and reload v1 firmware.

I've been using v2 for a few weeks now and like the player much more. Works much better with the card.

Enjoy!

Mike

Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM

Thank you for the information.

Following your directions and the ones on Livedigitally, I was able to upgrade to v2; however, I discovered some issues. I had upgraded to the latest v1 and it was fairly fast in boot (4 secs and 10 secs with 1gb Corsair SD). After upgrading to v2, the boot time changed to 6 secs and 12 secs. However, the worse problem was that my Acer notebook would no longer see the e130 properly. It took forever to recognize the drives. The USB connection would always timeout. But two other PCs (one XP and one 2000) worked fine with the e130 v2.

So I tried to downgrade to v1 with the v1 mentioned in Livedigitally from Sandisk. I was able to flash the firmware in recovery mode but the e130 would not power on. I was able to reflash v2. I wanted v1 so I tried my own hack by tweaking the winnt\temp\downloader directory. I copied the v1 software directory into the v2 directory and fired up the firmwareselector program. (Deleting the v2 directory did not work). Now I was able to flash the v1 software and the e130 now worked again with my Acer notebook.

It now appears that there must be a hardware difference between E100 series flash players. My E130 seems to work better and more reliably with v1.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM

Sorry about that.

My player is very slow with a 2 GB Sandisk Ultra 2 (or Ridata 150x) card installed. It is much faster with v2 firmware.

My numbers are much slower than yours, about 10 - 20 seconds each time. It often would not even start with v1 firmware, taking a minute or more.

As for use with laptop, I use an Acer laptop and Asus MB on a homehbuilt system. They both worked fine with v2 firmware.

Sorry bout that. I know that newer e100 series players come with v2 firmware, but not the older ones (?) we got.

In any case, glad you were able to revert back to v1.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 PM

Hey guys...

Thanks for the info on upgrading to the v2 firmware. I managed to get my e140 updated after struggling a bit with trying to get it to boot into recovery mode. So far the new firmware seems to boot a little faster, and the weird noise the player made when paused has stopped. Besides that this doesn't seem to be a very major upgrade (I haven't been running it long enough to notice if the battery life is any better with my 1GB SD card).

The e140 is adequate for playing back music or listening to the radio, but I'm thinking about replacing it. My three biggest pet peeves are:

1) It's basically unusable for audiobooks, podcasts, or anything else involving long files. I don't mind the playlist thing so much since it can play an album via id3 tags (though I'd like to be able to play my own compilations in it), but there's no way I'm going to spend the time awkwardly fast-forwarding through a 60+ minute file to get back to where I was when I turned the player off (or trying to remember what the timestamp was, for that matter). Why is this so hard to do? It's like one filename and an integer... I wouldn't even mind that it doesn't have bookmarks if it could start playing the latest song from where it left off.

2) This is nitpicking, but I tend to listen to my music on shuffle. In between adding new songs to the player, every time I select Play Music / Play All Music, the player will sort the files in the exact same order! Why can't it re-randomize the list? I end up hearing the song it puts on the beginning of the list every time I choose that option. (What I usually do is just go from the radio to Modes / Audio Playback, so I just gradually go through the whole playlist instead, but even then after a while I know that the first few songs won't get played anytime soon, which is hardly random.)

3) Even more nitpicking, but I'd like to be able to mute the radio quickly by hitting the front button (or something). I can just turn it off, but that takes a while and then I need to boot the player to start again. I never thought this would be a useful feature until I stopped being able to use it.

All three of these are features that my late lamented Rio Chiba had. In retrospect I think it was one of the best-designed players I've used, at least in terms of the hardware and firmware UI. Unfortunately, the Rio Music Manager software you needed to use to upload music to the thing was really awful. I really like the no-software USB MSS interface of the Sansa.

Wow, for some reason that turned into a rant. Anyways, I'm open to suggestions for my next mp3 player, and thanks again for the info.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM

in my opinion the e100 series is a waste of money.the only good feature was the speakers you can connect it to.i own a e260 and and a e240 and if im not
mistaken the e240 costs about the same as the e100.and its smaller and light weighted.i would recomend a e240,but thats just me.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Thumbs up Perhaps you should check your numbers

The sandisk e200 series starts at $200 and is a Nano equivalent.

The e100 series runs at about $70 and is a shuffle equivalent.

I assume you mean the m200 series. If you don't, you should check your info before you post.

In any case, if you mean m200 series, I disagree with your opinion because:

- The e100 series comes with MUCH better headphones. I'd actually use these stock phones. Look at a vmoda bass freq and you will understand.
- The e100 series is expandable with common sd cards. Very few, if any, modern players use sd. Micro SD yes, but not standard SD. I use the 2 GB I had for my camera. I will likely get more for my camera too...
- I like the e100 shape better than the m200 shape.

Overall, most of the features are the same, I would hardly call the m200 superior. In any case, I'm guessing the e100 will be discontinued anyways.

It's far from perfect, with a few annoying quicks, but it's cheap and does what I want.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:17 PM

Default ...Couldn't Get an E ... had to settle for an m

I tried for more than 8 months to get an e-series at a decent sale price at any local retailer but they never had them in-stock when they offered them at a decent price. More often than not, I was told that it was a discontinued series. Wheather they had a display item or not, every retailer said they wouldn't count on getting anymore in-stock. That went on since before November of 2005.

The SD media feature of the e-line is GREAT!!
I wish I could have gotten one.
I finally had to settle for an m240 for $40.