android
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM

Question way to sync clix without WMP?

Hey all,

I just got the clix yesterday and I love it. I was looking for an easy way to sync the clix without WMP (I don't use WMP at all).

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and was trying to link the clix's /albums folder to my /podcasts folder using a batch file, except I can't get a handle on the clix because it doesn't have a drive letter.

Any advice/help? Here's what I was working on, but it doesn't work, of course...

I'm just trying to find an automatic way to have all of my podcasts put onto the clix in their own respective folders, and since I don't use WMP, I didn't want to start now...

sync_clix.bat
-------------
@echo off
echo.
echo ** Moving Pocasts **
echo from: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music
echo to: My Computer\iriver clix\Media\Albums
move /y "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music" "My Computer\iriver clix\Media\Albums"
echo ** Podcasts Moved **
echo.
pause

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 PM

I guess, Microsoft and iriver did there best so that you can use WMP only.

Maybe there's an option to batch WMP - but I doubt that this can be done easily.

U10 2GB would be the better choice for you, offered as UMS model only.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM

nah, I really like the clix interface. I tried using HappyFish to deposit downloaded podcasts directly into the device, but the 'OK' button is grayed out. It seems like there is some sort of lock on the folders that makes the non-write-able when you access them from a non-WMP 'browse' button.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:15 PM

ah HA - just noticed the U10 is the same...is it? I mean, the menu and navigation and everything? I might return the clix for a U10, WMP is unbearable.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:27 PM

No, U10 and clix are not identical: clix has a faster cpu which takes more power -> shorter battery life. Clix got a different firmware which should be better to use and which boots faster.

Clix is a kind of iRiver USA - Microsoft cooperation.
U10 2GB is more the universal iRiver Korea UMS style.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 PM

ok, so Im not so concerned about the boot time or processor speed, as long as it doesn't mess with audio or video playback. Has anyone noticed that it messes with the audio-video sync or anything?

and it looks like the U10 has exactly the same features as the clix, except more battery time.

I definitely agree that going with a UMS device is the way to go - not tied to Windows Media Player, and connects like a normal USB device, so I'll be able to script a batch file, maybe even an autorun file on the device to have it auto-sync to my media folders. I'll have to check it out!

Old 07-12-2006, 03:47 AM

Unfortunately, you'll need a sophisticated batch for the U10. Although you may put any files on it, you'll have to rebuild the database in order to regocnize the files for playing.

For U10 this can be done either by iriver plus software or by open software such as pmplib.

When you check the Meizu M6 (kind of a clix clone), they put the database update function within the firmware. I feel that this would be a rather simple task - but since there's no docu about hard- and software, only iriver themselves would be able to integrate this function.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:18 AM

Hmm... So if I were to move files to the M6 via the filesystem, they would be automatically re-catalogued, whereas the U10 does not do this... yes, that is important. Also, I see the Meizu M6 has a 4GB model and all the features of the clix/U10!

Finding an M6 for a reasonable price in the US is going to be rough I think. I'll search around... looks like that's what I'll have to do if I want a device that just syncs with a folder on my machine, instead of dealing with WMP, iTunes, etc.