android
Old 05-28-2014, 04:16 PM

Question Transcend MP870 any reviews?

Transcend MP870

I kinda stumbled upon this at a local store and it looks nice. They're selling it for more or less US$60 here in my area. What I like about this gadget is that it has tactile buttons, I can watch videos, read ebooks, store pics and of course play music.

I've owned several players with almost all those functions that's why I'm kinda thinking of buying one.

3 Creative Zen Neeon 2s(one got replaced after just a day, one got replaced after just a day again, 3rd one, I sold it.)
2 Creative Zens(one got stolen, one died because of the WSOD)
Cowon S9(damn power button got broke)

Is the Transcend MP870 any good in terms of SQ?
Does it have a stable firmware?
Any problems with the gadget?

Just wanna make sure before buying the product.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Transcend's players fall into the "lesser know brands" category where cheap, generic, throwaway players live. I'm not saying for certain that makes the Transcend MP870 an absolute piece of junk, but it does mean you'll probably have a hard time finding anyone here who's used one. These days, abi tends to be populated mostly by longtime regulars who stick to more reputable brands (e.g. Cowon; SanDisk; Sony; Samsung; and, yes, Apple -- though even some of those have begun to falter in the dwindling DAP market). There's not a lot of venturing out into no-name territory to be found here.

I can issue a warning that many of the cheap, generic players that people here have used have proven to be buggy devices with poorly implemented software and fragile hardware, as it seems their makers are more interested in getting a lowest-possible-cost product on the shelves than ensuring it operates well. That usually equates to lousy quality control, cheap parts, bad firmware, and no after-sales support whatsoever.

Last edited by epithetless; 05-28-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Administrator

There was a thread a while back about the Transcend MP860. There's comments there about the MP870. From that I concluded that it wasn't bad but didn't interest me enough to get one.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There was a thread a while back about the Transcend MP860. There's comments there about the MP870. From that I concluded that it wasn't bad but didn't interest me enough to get one.
I was reading that one awhile ago...I thought the two were different players...but it was mentioned that their hardware are the same.

I actually wanna gamble on this one...I can't live without a dedicated music player(kinda sucks listening through my phone)

I'll probably wait for more replies...a day or two before deciding on whether I should go for this player or not.

I kinda like the clip+ or the clip zip but here in my area it's also priced at about US$60 and it's just the 4gb variants...the MP870 is priced the same but with more features and it's 8gb and the memory is expandable too.

If somebody can confirm that the SQ is better than an ipod...I'll buy it.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator

More replies from where? I was able to locate that thread easily because it's the only one here about that player. It's possible that someone may google and find this thread but you might have to wait quite a while.

Anyone that tells you it sounds better than an iPod is going to be full of it. The sound quality on the last several generations of iPods is as good as it gets. You may or may not like the EQ presets but the base sound quality is very good.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
More replies from where? I was able to locate that thread easily because it's the only one here about that player. It's possible that someone may google and find this thread but you might have to wait quite a while.

Anyone that tells you it sounds better than an iPod is going to be full of it. The sound quality on the last several generations of iPods is as good as it gets. You may or may not like the EQ presets but the base sound quality is very good.
Thanks...I've decided to buy it...will post a review soon for other people who like me are also looking for a review for this gadget.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Look forward to seeing it. Unless something has changed you won't be able to post it in the review section directly. If not just post it up and a staff member will take a look to see if it fits there.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 AM

I'd personally stay well away from it - even though it's cheap.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Look forward to seeing it. Unless something has changed you won't be able to post it in the review section directly. If not just post it up and a staff member will take a look to see if it fits there.
I bought it...I haven't thoroughly played with it yet but so far I'm liking it very much. I wasn't really expecting a lot coz it's cheap but I played some tracks(rock, metal, hip hop, pop, ballads etc.) and I used my el cheapo pioneer iem's and it sounds great, way way better than what I was expecting.

While I was browsing for more info about the Transcend MP870, I stumbled on a Russian forum(Thanks to Google Chrome the whole site got translated to English...hehe)...TransEdit. Apparently you can download a software there where you can edit the firmware code for a bunch of stuff and it's like dedicated to transcend players not just the MP870. While browsing the site, I saw some good stuff too like a playlist maker etc. I think Transcend players are popular in Russia and that should explain why there's a lot of Russian reviews about the MP870 on youtube(which I didn't bother checking out since I can't understand Russian)

Overall I have no regrets buying it. I might consider buying another one for spare just in case...hehe

I'll go ahead and play with it a little bit more then I'll post a review here.

Thanks!

Last edited by bigbadwolf; 05-29-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 PM

I am looking forward to your review also! I'm always curious about the lesser-known brands.

Tags
dap, pmp, sq, transcend mp860, transcend mp870