android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Sony SRS-BTX300 NFC Bluetooth Speaker Review

Fed up with non-working Bluetooth adaptors for my elderly Teac dock, I wanted something that worked (and sounded as good); this does both. It features NFC compatibility, Bluetooth, plus contains a rechargeable battery with which you can charge a DAP or phone whether the Sony is plugged in or not. Battery life is around 8 hours but although it comes with a nice case, it is pretty heavy to lug around unless it's just around the house.

This thing is solid and substantial - amazingly well built and sleek; it's a world apart from cheaper Bluetooth speakers. Those hinges are metal.

The sound quality is very good using the aptX codec, as good as my Teac, possibly better.. There are presets (Megabass, Megabass plus a stereo widening feature and off. I'm inclined to leave the sound as flat and just adjust the EQ using whatever device if it's necessary. But the new Bluetooth sounds very good - at least to my ears, and a world away from what was around 5 years ago. Bass is present but not overpowering; mids and highs are good. It also goes pretty loud without distorting.

I can just tap either of my phones or tablet to the NFC tag and pairing is instant.

It will accept a 3.5mm line in for non BT devices.

It also works fine with my Chromebook - this is the answer to my audio problems for now - I don't always want to be listening to my phones or iems, and when I'm film watching on my tablet or Chromebook I can just stream the audio to the Sony. Plus there's something amazingly cool about selecting new music from Google Play on my tablet, whatever my online friends on Soundwave are listening to, hitting play and having the music fill the room.

Here's the Amazon page for the specs, unusually, I didn't research this before buying; it just felt like the best one in the shop.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRSBTX300...831209-0590057

Last edited by Jeven; 03-24-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos and photos

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Just to add..it doesn't sound quite as good on the Moto G as the Sony Xperia SP or Nexus 7 (but still pretty good) as I suspect it's not using aptX.

I'm impressed, though, streaming Google Play at the highest setting on my tablet sounds amazing. The NFC function obviates having to go into Bluetooth settings. Tap to play, not tap to pay.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Very nice . I saw it on sale at Target a little while ago. I just picked up a JBL Charge. I wanted something a little more portable. I think it sound pretty good.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I also have a Creative D100
What i like about this one is that uses AA batteries in addition to ac power

Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 AM

I paid 100 for the Sony, and it's well worth it in my opinion. Am selling the Teac today for 50. It's quite a competent dock, has USB playback, remote control, DAB/FM, AUX in, and a dock for 30 pin I devices. The lack of streaming was annoying me though.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I heard the Sony when i was shopping around and it does sound good. Does it have a built in battery? or is is just AC

Old 03-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I heard the Sony when i was shopping around and it does sound good. Does it have a built in battery? or is is just AC
According to the Sony Canada site, it has a "Built-in battery for up to 8-hours playback".

http://store.sony.ca/bluetooth-wirel...lorCode=000000

Steve

Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This thread makes Bluetooth Bruce happy.

I noticed Cowon make a portable BT (apt-x) speaker, wonder how it stacks up..

Old 03-26-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
It has an internal L-ion battery which charges when on AC - an LED glows orange until charged, then green when you're operating the speaker using the battery.

Like I said, there is a supplied case for the Sony, but it's a heavy device, very dense for its size, which is probably why it sounds so good, ie. decent speaker units inside.

But I wouldn't want to take it out of the house anywhere. Fine if you have a garden or verandah though.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks pretty cool. Could see myself taking that from room to room, like out into the garden or in the garage for a few hours. I specifically bought a TDK A73 for that kind of purpose, but the bluetooth is incredibly broken, looses signal and then have to pair it again, just terrible. It's still a great speaker, and works great outdoors, which is why I got it. Just annoyed I have to use a wire for it, or a Sony Bluetooth receiver which is just... -_-

Oddly enough I bought another TDK blueooth speaker product, I guess I just like their aesthetics. Its the Q35 wireless charging speaker cube, which works great as an alarm clock wireless charger next to my bed. Got really annoyed with the tinny sound from my Note 3, also hate plugging that thing into the charger every night. With this, it's just turn it on, place it on top. No NFC though, but you don't really need it if you've paired it once. It pairs automatically when you turn it on, but understandably multiple devices would get a bit difficult.

This thing is also "portable" in the sense that it actually has a battery in it, but being a heavy cube it's not something I would want to carry distances.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM

Some more pictures.

The top left side showing battery charging:

The rear, on the right is an USB charging socket.

The unit can stay in Bluetooth standby indefinitely and pairing is almost instant as soon as you fire up the music on your phone, tablet etc. The front LED is blue when connected and white whilst disconnected, turning off after 20 minutes.

Another view of the right side. Green means Megabass is employed, it actually sounds quite good with some music:

There is a purple LED too, but I don't know what that means yet.