android
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

<giggles>

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Had you read da1writer's thoughts a couple months after his initial review? There may have been some advances since then but a quick look over at xda developers didn't turn up a custom rom to bring it past Gingerbread.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nah i hadn't read that. I only started reading some stuff about it a couple days ago really, initial impressions seemed good. It's interesting how peoples view change over time (i know mine has on many occasions).
It just struck me that it might be the only Android DAP with dedicated tactile buttons on the market thats worth a look at, but not at that asking price.
I hope 2014 brings a small smartphone with dedicated tactile media buttons.
If Cowon want to survive they have to start making phones.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What about this?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That Sony is fantastic, if you can afford it. The pricing makes me pass on it.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Default Sony F series video walkman

Bruce, Thank you for the post.

A very nice device. Size and price wise more like the ipod touch than the nano, but it makes me optimistic that someone will make a similar, smaller device.

Cheaper would be good as well - it would be great if something came out with a Nexus label and Nexus-like value. My son wants something to take to swim meets, so it needs to be tiny and significantly cheaper.

I looked at the system requirements for Android 4.0. Android does specifically support screen sizes as small as 2.5" diag.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The thing about that Sony android player is it's still not a replacement for a phone, so in reality many of us would carry a smartphone in addition to this which then defeats the purpose.
Right now I have a 'smartphone' and I use my i9+ for music. The i9+ weighs 40g so I don't feel it intrudes too much on pocket space etc, but this sony player prolly would.

Some smartphone company (hopefully Sony) need to develop a fairly decent handset (like the size and weight of this android DAP) with those dedicated media buttons.
But even still that wouldn't persuade me as I put camera functionality ahead of music capabilities in what i look for in a smartphone. Maybe by 2016 there are decent AIO's...

Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 AM

you just aren't going to find an elite level DAP that is also a phone right now. Maybe in the future but I wouldn't count on it. You need the size for the battery to drive the better electronics and better headphones.

This one fits the bill as a quality Android-based DAP, but it's neither small (based on the Galaxy S3 form) nor cheap.

http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=78

Tags
android, crap phone, dream on, nanex, small, wifi