android
Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Default Mp3 player and speaker dock suggestion?

I am looking into getting a mp3 player to listen to my music at home. I mostly listen my music through my laptop speakers but I do not want my laptop on all the time. So what's a good Mp3 player and good speakers/docking station to go with it. I want one that will charge and play my music, preferably with an alarm clock and remote. I would like to try to get both for under $100 or maybe a little bit more. Any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

With the exception of Apple products speaker docks never really took off. The manufacturers that tried making docks to match their MP3 players gave up quickly when they couldn't sell enough to justify producing them.

What I've seen people doing now is to get an inexpensive no contract smartphone and use it along with a Bluetooth speaker dock like this one. They also have one with a AUX in jack that lets you connect using an audio cable. That line of speakers is an example, not a recommendation. I've no experience with it so I've no idea how it sounds or how well it's built. It's just the first results at a decent price that came up when I searched Amazon using the terms "bluetooth speaker docks".

No contract smart phones like this one can be very good audio sources. I max the volume on mine and play it through my computer speakers when I'm doing processor intensive things on the PC that sometimes causes the audio to crackle. I have to turn up the speakers another notch to get the same volume as my on board card but the sound is clear and undistorted. When I use it a a stand alone music player it sounds as good, if not better, as any dedicated MP3 player I have.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony has produced some player/dock combos in recent years. Don't think any are a current product at the moment. Looks like all of Sony's dock only work with iPods (on the Canada site anyway).

Steve

Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM

I just recently got a Nokia lumia 920 and I was going to get bluetooth speakers to go with it but I could not figure out the music player app, so I thought a mp3 player might be easier.
My phone came with Nokia mixRadio and xbox music which do not let you create playlist from your own songs. you can pick an artist and they will create a playlist for you using their music.
can you suggest an app that allows me to create my own playlist from my own music?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The most recommended mp3 playing Android app seems to be Poweramp. I don't know how good it is with playlists as I don't use my Androids as music players.

Here's a link to the free trial.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pz.audioplayer

Steve

Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The most recommended mp3 playing Android app seems to be Poweramp. I don't know how good it is with playlists as I don't use my Androids as music players.

Here's a link to the free trial.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pz.audioplayer

Steve
That doesn't work on a Windows phone. It's Android ONLY. I would know, as I've just come from the Lumia 920, and my wife is still using hers. I use JetAudio or PowerAmp depending on my mood,...

He needs to download and create playlists with the Windows Phone app for desktop: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...pp-for-desktop

As far as I know there are no apps for the Windows Phone that allow creation of playlists on the phone itself (by picking song-by-song).

Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM

I have the windows phone app but I found a easier way to make playlist. http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...-computer.html
And I can access my playlist using the xbox music app now i just need speakers to enjoy my music

Old 01-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's actually not easier, but if it works for you that's great. Get one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=Noki...eaker&tbm=shop

Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM

$100 is going to be rough. Do you have speakers at all? You can probably get a netbook for $100 at at a pawn shop and connect it to external speakers if you want to save some power and use your phone as the remote for the netbook. I personally use my old netbook connected to a cheap garage sale boombox and have my phone as the remote control.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Unless they want to make this more complex than what it needs to be all they need is a boombox with a AUX IN jack or a set of powered speakers. They can use their existing phone as a source through the headphone out and a 3.5 mm male to male audio cable. Add a inexpensive USB wall charger and you're all set.

Like mamamia88 I use a boombox I picked up at a garage sale for near nothing myself. For better sound quality a speaker system like this one works.

I'm pointing that one out because one of my listening buddies has one. He kept bugging me with how great it sounded until I gave it a listen. I'd say great is a stretch but surprisingly good for the price is accurate. You're not going to rock a major party with them but for a single room they sound very good.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 AM

I prefer Naztech Koncert Boomstation N52 Bluetooth Speaker
***Link removed***
you can read about their benefits

Last edited by skip252; 01-28-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Link removed

Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I've removed the link to specific site you linked for this item. I've left the name of the product so anyone interested can do their check into it. I found it easily just using the name of the product. Most of the results had it a lower prices than the site you linked so it's members will be able to do much through their own research.

Tags
alarm clock, budget, docking station, ipod mp3 player, speakers