android
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Default Recovery Guide

This guide will help you recover your Zen X-Fi2 if possible. Be warned that this guide will only help fix bad/corrupted a firmware flash. If after following this guide your Zen still does not work, it may be a hardware defect or another issue. Feel free to contact me via PM if you need assistance at any point.

Windows

The first step is to download the attached zip file called "ZenXFi2Recovery_win32.zip" and extract it. You will also want to download the latest firmware upgrade tool by Creative (which can be found in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61757). Once downloaded, rename the file to firmware.exe and place it in the folder that you extracted before. **NOTICE** If you do not see the .exe ending on the Firmware Upgrade Tool before renaming it, rename it to just "firmware"

You will now need to locate and record what your model number is. This can be found on the lower back of your Zen and will be one of the following three options:
Quote:
DVP-FL0012
DVP-FL0015
PF2494
Plug in your Zen and ensure that it is in ROM Recovery mode: your screen should remain black when plugged in. You can manually enter recovery mode by pressing the reset button while holding the home button and continuing to hold the home button for at least 5 seconds after letting go of the reset button while plugged into your computer.

Run the file RecoverZenXFi2.bat that is in the folder you extracted from before. Enter your model number and let the program run.

**NOTICE** If you ZEN is a PF2494 you will need to enter DVP-FL0012 and if you get any errors, re-run the program with DVP-FL0015. The reason is that we do not know what storage type that model uses yet. So if you do have one, please contact me.

Once the Creative Firmware Upgrade Tool starts, click the upgrade button when it becomes available.

Congratulations! Your Zen X-Fi2 should now be working normally.

Disclaimer
The included program mkimxboot.exe comes from the Rockbox repository and is open source. However, the included binary is not a direct port, I removed parts of the code so it could be compiled under Windows, so do not try and use it for its dualboot functionality.

Also, the program sb_loader.exe comes from Freescale, and is not made by me.

Linux

The first step is to download the attached zip file called "ZenXFi2Recovery_linux.zip" and extract it. You will also want to download the latest firmware upgrade tool by Creative (which can be found in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61757). Once downloaded, rename the file to firmware.exe and place it in the folder that you extracted before. **NOTICE** If you do not see the .exe ending on the Firmware Upgrade Tool before renaming it, rename it to just "firmware"

You will now need to locate and record what your model number is. This can be found on the lower back of your Zen and will be one of the following three options:
Quote:
DVP-FL0012
DVP-FL0015
PF2494
Plug in your Zen and ensure that it is in ROM Recovery mode: your screen should remain black when plugged in. You can manually enter recovery mode by pressing the reset button while holding the home button and continuing to hold the home button for at least 5 seconds after letting go of the reset button while plugged into your computer.

Run the file RecoverZenXFi2.sh that is in the folder you extracted from before with elevated privileges. You can do this by opening the terminal, changing your working directory to the folder you extracted and running
Code:
sudo sh RecoverZenXFi2.sh
Enter your model number and let the program run.

**NOTICE** If you ZEN is a PF2494 you will need to enter DVP-FL0012 and if you get any errors, re-run the program with DVP-FL0015. The reason is that we do not know what storage type that model uses yet. So if you do have one, please contact me.

Once you are prompted to Enter your Zen's location, wait until your Zen turns back on and then type ? and press Enter. You should see something like this:
Code:
Enter your Zen's location once it connects (type ? for a list of devices):?
/dev/sda3: LABEL="Data" UUID="27C2CB5A133D9D80" TYPE="ntfs" 
/dev/sdb2: UUID="2f20dea6-8552-434d-b700-18d46d401de1" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb3: UUID="dee2ab46-87d0-4284-8dbb-0802932e96cf" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="ZEN X-FI2" UUID="E424-88B3" TYPE="vfat" 

Enter your Zen's location once it connects (type ? for a list of devices):
You will want to find your Zen, in this case it is the last one, so I would type in /dev/sdc1 and press enter. Wait for the program to finish.

Congratulations! Your Zen X-Fi2 should now be working normally.

Disclaimer
The included program mkimxboot, sbloader, and scsitool comes from the Rockbox repository and are open source.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ZenXFi2Recovery_win32.zip (153.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: zip ZenXFi2Recovery_linux.zip (148.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by jbob182; 03-28-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Clarification on what this guide does

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 AM

I have frequently tried to Recover my Zen X-Fi2, and i open the RecoverZenXFi2.bat and i typed my Model Number. The program is running and he says "Downloading firmware.sb to device". And then starts the Firmware.exe and the shows "Device initializing" for long and then gives the Firmware.exe "Device not connected, Please connect your player".

Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

For anyone wondering, I was in contact with PeitjePuk and we determined that his problem was caused by a hardware defect.

Tags
brick, bricked, firmware, guide, recovery, recovery tool, zen x-fi 2