android
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM

Default SansaClip+ with Grado's SR80i.... is the amp worth it?

Hi! I'm thinking to buy the Grado Prestige Series SR80i headphones to use with my Clip+. Just wanted to know your opinions about buying an amp also. I do not intend to spend more than $50 on a headphone amp.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainostr View Post
Hi! I'm thinking to buy the Grado Prestige Series SR80i headphones to use with my Clip+. Just wanted to know your opinions about buying an amp also. I do not intend to spend more than $50 on a headphone amp.

Thanks!
If you Rockbox the Clip+, you won't need an amp. I use SR60i's with my rockboxed Clip+ all the time.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
If you Rockbox the Clip+, you won't need an amp. I use SR60i's with my rockboxed Clip+ all the time.
Is it stable?? and how is it different?? Thank you!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainostr View Post
Is it stable?? and how is it different?? Thank you!
It is stable, and if you take a little time to play with it and learn all the nuances of using the EQ, you can make the player sound pretty much however you'd like it to. And for those just starting out, there are also basic Bass and Treble controls available too. Rockbox also improves the battery life, which is a bonus.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox

Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It is stable, and if you take a little time to play with it and learn all the nuances of using the EQ, you can make the player sound pretty much however you'd like it to. And for those just starting out, there are also basic Bass and Treble controls available too. Rockbox also improves the battery life, which is a bonus.
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox
Cool! I really don't like to EQ that much... but the battery life improved? thats awesome! Thanks Marvin.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Max volume with or without Rockbox is the same. If the headphones are loud enough with Rockbox they should also be loud enough without it.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Max volume with or without Rockbox is the same. If the headphones are loud enough with Rockbox they should also be loud enough without it.
I thought the same at first then I realized that Marvin was referring to the fact that the SR60i and SR80i’s need the eq to sound bearable

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-17-2011, 01:34 PM

What about the razor blade earpads? Is there a fix for that?

I jest, i jest, kinda
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I thought the same at first then I realized that Marvin was referring to the fact that the SR60i and SR80is need the eq to sound bearable
Hmmm... think I'm going to stay out of that end of it.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
What about the razor blade earpads? Is there a fix for that?

I jest, i jest, kinda
I guess the "bowl" earpads on the higher-end models might be where that comes from.....I've never tried those. The "comfy" ones that come on the SR60i and 80i are soft as can be.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I thought the same at first then I realized that Marvin was referring to the fact that the SR60i and SR80is need the eq to sound bearable
Because they don't have a veil thrown over them?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 AM

what do you think about grado sr80i paired with fiio e11? i'm using sansa fuze+

will i get significant improvement on sound quality on same volume level compared to the sr80i+fuzeplus unamped?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagorbin View Post
what do you think about grado sr80i paired with fiio e11? i'm using sansa fuze+

will i get significant improvement on sound quality on same volume level compared to the sr80i+fuzeplus unamped?
At the same volume level, not really.

The only difference would be if you were using the E11's bass boost...and to my ears, that was an improvement with the SR60i. But that speaks more to my sonic preferences than anything else.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 AM

Using sansa fuze+, will i get significant improvement in sound quality using an amp with a headphone with this specs, given that i'm getting sufficient volume. Thank you
• Transducer Principle: Dynamic • Driver Diameter: ¢53mm • Impedance: 60Ω • Sensitivity: 1013dB • Frequency Response: 15Hz-25kHz • Rated Power: 250 mW • Max. Input Power: 500mW

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagorbin View Post
Using sansa fuze+, will i get significant improvement in sound quality using an amp with a headphone with this specs, given that i'm getting sufficient volume. Thank you
Transducer Principle: Dynamic Driver Diameter: ¢53mm Impedance: 60Ω Sensitivity: 1013dB Frequency Response: 15Hz-25kHz Rated Power: 250 mW Max. Input Power: 500mW
http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/g...-ampsdacs.html. You do not have to give us the driver diameter or frequency response. Since you are getting sufficient volume, you do not have to give us the sensitivity or maximum input power. Sensitivity is useless without specifying the input: it could be power or voltage. I am not sure what the vendor means by rated power.

What is its significance? The vendor should explain why it feels it is necessary to give this specification. At the rated power, the volume is only 3 dB less a slight decrease in volume. Another thing to keep in mind is that headphone vendors sometimes make up their specifications: they are sometimes not even close to objective measurements. What, specifically, is wrong with the sound quality?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
What, specifically, is wrong with the sound quality?
Nothing really sir. I'm just wondering if the sound will improve if i buy a separate amplifier.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't think of Enigmatic's question as a challenge but an attempt to identify what isn't right. You can't help someone fix a problem until you know what the problem is. In order to know what you would consider an improvement you need to identify what you hear that you think isn't as good as what you think it should be.

Despite what you may have read in some places amps actually are best used to deal with a fairly limited number of audio playback issues. The Fuze+'s output is good enough that when used with headphones that have the specs you listed the only one that might be a problem is volume. Since you've given the condition that the volume is sufficient a amp won't improve something that isn't broken.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I wouldn't think of Enigmatic's question as a challenge but an attempt to identify what isn't right. You can't help someone fix a problem until you know what the problem is. In order to know what you would consider an improvement you need to identify what you hear that you think isn't as good as what you think it should be.

Despite what you may have read in some places amps actually are best used to deal with a fairly limited number of audio playback issues. The Fuze+'s output is good enough that when used with headphones that have the specs you listed the only one that might be a problem is volume. Since you've given the condition that the volume is sufficient a amp won't improve something that isn't broken.
Don't worry. I didn't take what he said as challenge or anything negative. It's just that I know that i have little knowledge about these things and i did not comment more on what he said because i might ask questions that don't even make sense. So i just replied to the question that I know I can answer clearly. And on your second paragraph, my inquiry got answered so thank you for that. Thank you to both of you.

Last edited by lisagorbin; 01-22-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Tags
amp, clip+, grado, sansa, sr80i