android
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM

Exclamation clip zip firmware help

Hey Guys I Just Bought A brand new clip zip 3 days ago. Last Night it went off for 20 mins and it would not turn on at all?! I went to the sansa forum and they said that I should hold the reset button for 20-30sec which worked .

I have about 40gb of music loaded onto my clip zip with and sd card. Anyways do you guys think I should update the firmware of my clip zip to avoid this situation again or can I just leave my clip zip alone

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

It won't hurt to update to the the latest firmware. I would follow the manual installation directions here. The sandisk updater software is a buggy and eats up PC resources listening for updates that will likely never happen this late in the Zip's release cycle.

However it's been my experience that fixing bad tags or files that don't decode properly are more likely to fix random freezes than updating the firmware. The limited memory and processing power of a portable player frequent can't handle those issues as well as the greater resources of a PC. They can cause a portable player to freeze where a desktop or laptop can handle the errors. I haven't personally encountered it but I've also read where large album art or embedded album art in file types like ogg vorbis can cause hangups like the one you experienced.

For fixing your tags I'd recommend MP3Tag. If your files are MP3s you can setup the way shown here, select the files save them and that will rewrite the tags the way sandisk recommends. Although it's named MP3Tag it also writes tags for all the formats supported by the Clip Zip except .wav. There's no special setup for writing tags for formats other than MP3I know. Just loading them and saving them should also make sure they're written properly.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco678898 View Post
Hey Guys I Just Bought A brand new clip zip 3 days ago. Last Night it went off for 20 mins and it would not turn on at all?! I went to the sansa forum and they said that I should hold the reset button for 20-30sec which worked .
Which release of firmware is currently on the player? The latest release is 01.01.21.

Steve

Tags
clip zip firmware