android
Old 11-22-2013, 11:41 PM

Default Sansa clip+, and 64gb micro sd cards

Hello guys, new to the boards. :-) My second Walkman is dying on me and my mum has offered to get me a new mp3 player for Christmas, I'm disappointed in Walkman, and have decided to go an alternative. Sansa supports Vorbis and Flac, so they get a big plus from me for that, and the clip series still have real buttons which is a must for me. So i've decided to get a Sansa clip+. 8gb is not enough for me, i'm almost filling 16gb at the moment with my music, audiobooks and podcasts. I know the Sansa clip+ officially supports micro sd cards up to 32 gb, but i was just wondering if a 64gb card would work at all?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

64 GB card should work as long as they're formatted FAT32. Windows won't do that natively so you'll need a tool like guiformat to get that done.

I've come across a number of post that report better success with slower Class 2 or 4 cards than with the Class 10. I'm not an expert but someone who says they are says it's a issue where the card is expecting the faster response of a camera and times out before the player responds. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I have seen more reports of success with slower cards, YMMV.

Everything that happens on the player is slower than the slowest Class 2 card so there's no performance hit using a slower card. File transfer will tend to be slower but that's limited to the internal speed of the player in any case. Using a dedicated card reader can speed up file transfer time but even then you may or may not reach the rated speed. The rating is based around data transfer speed in a camera, not read\write speed in file transfer.

If you're planning on using ogg vorbis or FLAC files you'll want to be aware they reduce battery life on sandisk players by ~50%. It's not a hardware limitation as using Rockbox with the same codecs on the same player can actually increase battery life above the sandisk rated life.

The decoders for those formats were never optimized by sandisk. It seems they threw being able to play those in as an advertising point and never did anything to make sure they worked properly.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One thing to note: the database on the Clips has a severe numbers limitation handicap. If you load the player with par-for-the-course mp3 files, you easily can hit the database limit on the number of files that can be added well below 32GB.

The solution to this: load and use the alternate Rockbox firmware (from rockbox.org), that does not have that handicap.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks for getting back to me guys. By the sounds of things, i'm pretty sure i'll end up using Rockbox. Never used it before, but had heard about it previously, my previous walkmans weren't compatable though. Formatting should be no problem, i have gparted installed on my computer which seems to handle everything. I have one more question though, is the Sansa restricted to fat32 on all micro sd cards, or is that just a 64gb card thing? Is fat32 the native format the Sansa formats its cards too?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep--the Clips use FAT32 for all microSD cards used with it.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Whatever you do, don't format the Clip itself to anything else other than FAT32. The firmware resides on a hidden part of the file system that isn't affected by formatting to FAT32. If you format it to anything else it wipes the firmware and bricks it. I haven't seen anyone say they've recovered one after that.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 AM

I use a Sandisk Class 10 64GB microSDXC card in my Rockboxed Fuze+ and it works OK. I also have a Lexar Class 10 32GB microSDHC which works fine in the Fuze+ and was fine in a Clip+ when I owned that player.

I'd suggest caution if formatting it with GParted and absolutely resist the temptation to "reclaim" the 10 or 15MB of apparently "wasted" space. Instead just change the existing file system from exFAT to FAT32. This can of course be done perfectly well with GParted. If you change the disk layout with a tool like GParted or similar (or the tools built in to your OS) you will probably create a misaligned partition and file system, in which case you can expect slow performance and poor reliability such as data corruption and mount and umount/safe remove failures. There is a good explanation at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Dam...Storage_Device

The tool to use if you have wiped the card completely, or want to, is https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

The article at wiki.laptop.org can help you figure out how best to accomplish the task with parted or fdisk if you don't have a Windows or Mac system that can run the SD Formatter.

Prepare your 64GB card properly and it should be fine, otherwise you might find yourself one of those people who erroneously believes the Sandisk players don't work with high capacity or high speed cards. They do.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the help guys, my clip and card have been purchased and should arrive in the mail one day soon now.
Your helpful advice and tips have been of much help. :-)

Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM

Note that sometimes cards come with other filesystems and need to be reformatted, and some versions of windows refuse to format 64GB to FAT32 (for no good reason). There are utilities out there to do it, but if you have problems when you get the card, suspect the filesystem type that came with the card, first.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The currently-free (via special, limited-time offer) software AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro does an easy conversion between formats. The download link and license code: http://www.disk-partition.com/specials/cnet.html. I recommend that everyone grab this while it's still available for free, if only to have if needed in the future.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 PM

I have a new 64gb card but my card reader is not working. I have downloaded the SD Formatter program. Is there any risk of a problem by reformatting the card while it is in the player (Clip Zip), with the player connected to the computer? (Making sure to format the card drive and not the player itself of course.)

Old 12-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman View Post
I have a new 64gb card but my card reader is not working. I have downloaded the SD Formatter program. Is there any risk of a problem by reformatting the card while it is in the player (Clip Zip), with the player connected to the computer? (Making sure to format the card drive and not the player itself of course.)
Anyone? Is there any risk with formatting the (new) SD card while it is in the player? Has anyone done this? Seems like it should be OK but just want to make sure.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think it should be just fine--just make sure, of course, that you've selected the right drive . . . .