android
Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Default Portable Speakers - Best right now!

I need to get some good portable speakers to use with my Sansa Clip+ within the next 24 hours.

We used to have the Virgin VS2100 Boomtube EX Portable, but I gave it to my sister a couple years ago.

I've been looking mostly at the X-mini MAX II Capsules, but I've also heard of a few others. My main priority is sound quality, but I also need it to be loud enough for a medium-sized group hanging outside.

Please help! Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Default X-Mini Max II vs iTour-Pop

Ok, I've done a bit more research, but I could still really use some help here. Basically, I have a really good friend's wedding and the entire bridal party is spending a week at this house. I am providing the tunes and need something portable (I'm flying out to LA from NYC). We'll be hanging outside a great deal and I need something loud. I really would have preferred something like that boomtube I mentioned earlier, but it is no longer available.

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm basically looking at:
X-Mini MAX II Capsule Speakers (which may not be quite loud enough)
and
iTour-POP Ultra Portable Rechargeable Speaker

I was thinking about picking up a portable amplifier, but I'm not sure how that would work with these mini-speakers. Anyone have any experience?
FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier

Finally, I've also been checking out these, but not sure if they are as good options.
Thanks again! Really appreciate the help!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 AM

What did you decide on? How did it workout? I'm in the market for portable speakers now.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 PM

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I wanted to add my two cents here -- I LOVE my Boombotix BB2 speaker (http://boombotix.com). It's much cheaper than the jambox and logitech miniboombox. It's also INSANELY loud for the size, and is super durable and WEARABLE (built on metal clip)!

They're drop tested, water resistant, and even mount to bike handlebars...definitely safer than headphones!

The sound quality is good, but it won't blow you away quite like the jambox. It's VERY loud though, never have trouble hearing it. And even cooler is when you have it tethered via bluetooth, you can connect it to a home stereo a use it as a wireless receiver!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 AM

I'm looking for speakers for my ZIP. I want them in my truck on the dashboard. I want cheap! If would be nice to have some good sound but I can't spend more than $20.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwphotos View Post
I'm looking for speakers for my ZIP. I want them in my truck on the dashboard. I want cheap! If would be nice to have some good sound but I can't spend more than $20.
So I guess the foxL v2 Platinum is out, eh?

Seriously, though...For good sound at $20...in an automobile...you're in quite a bind. The best ultra-portable speaker I've heard at that price point is the iHome iHM60. If you can stretch your budget by a few bucks, I slightly prefer the Satechi ST-IPOP for its better clarity. I can't say how well either one would do in a vehicle, though...At that size, they're not loudness beasts to begin with -- and you'd need to find a non-permanent way to keep them secured to your dashboard so they won't fly across the truck but can also be removed for charging. (You could potentially charge them with a mini-USB auto adapter, but that might add to your total cost depending on what you already have on hand).

Last edited by epithetless; 08-01-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 AM

[QUOTE=epithetless;617972]So I guess the foxL v2 Platinum is out, eh?
Can't even imagine it.

Went to best buy today. They had a nice wallet type speaker for $9.99. Zip it open and put you player inside. Clip it to your belt. 3 aaa batteries over and over for the rest of your life.
At the cash register I found this... http://www.amazon.com/Portable-As-Se...s=music+bullet
Way cool. USB rechargeable. Retractable audio cord. $14.99 at Best Buy. NOW I SEE THAT AMAZON HAS IT FOR $10.99!!!! I use it for audio books so it is way adequete. My happy. I'll velcro it to my dash.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad you found something that works. Also glad to see "good sound" wasn't too important after all.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Woops! I spoke to soon.
My speaker is skipping. sound..silence..sound..silence..sound..silence..so und..silence..sound..silence..sound..silence..soun d..silence..sound..silence..
I thought it was a short. My headphones work fine. I wonder if it is low on power. I am recharging mow. I hope that isn't bad because the instructions say to let the battery die before giving it its first full charge.
Think this is my problem?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe. Or maybe you're overloading it (with too much volume from your player) and it's clipping. It could possibly be triggering a fail-safe which attempts to keep the speaker from blowing at high output, but I'm not sure how likely a $15 device is to have that sort of circuitry. I wish you luck with the recharge!

Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 AM

I took the music bullet back to best buy. Bought a new one and tried it right there. Same thing. So I found this at OfficeMax... http://www.officemax.com/technology/ipod-mp3-players-accessories/ipod-mp3-speakers/product-prod3430150?history=61e2murx|prodPage~15^freeText~ ihome^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~retu rn_skus@bdtp39gp|prodPage~15^paramValue~true^refin e~1^region~1^categoryName~Audio+%26amp%3B+Accessor ies^param~return_skus^categoryId~397^parentCategor yID~cat_10004@tn9z2wdi|prodPage~15^paramValue~true ^refine~1^region~1^categoryName~iPod+%26amp%3B+MP3 +Players+%26amp%3B+Accessories^param~return_skus^c ategoryId~403^parentCategoryID~cat_397@yqsxxrnb|pr odPage~15^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^catego ryName~iPod+%26amp%3B+MP3+Speakers^param~return_sk us^categoryId~450^return_skus~Y^parentCategoryID~c at_403

Its really not as nice as the bullet but it works. And this one has very good sound. Sure was expensive though. Thats right...I said expensive. 11 cents worth of plastic and 30 cents worth of circuitry. Total $20.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM

These are quite the thing too:

WOWee One (video review)

This one isn't as a normal speaker... at least not for the bass. Only the Trebles and middles come from the speaker. The bass is projected by the surface in it. And the Bass it's good and deep. I'm keeping my eye on it. Seems really something.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 AM

Hate to necromance a dead thread but AYL makes a portable speaker for >$20 that is pretty awesome and crystal clear on sound quality. www.amazon.com/dp/B007OYAVLI

Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Hate to bust your bubble on this but the one you're recommending is part of a line of the same speakers with different names stamped on them. Shopping them by price instead of name gets you the same thing.

I've heard a couple of them and I'd put them in the category of noise makers, not quality speakers. They distort at anything more than moderate volume and don't sound good below that. Bunches of flabby bass is all I've got from them. You may have become accustomed to the deficiencies but I'd recommend anyone else that sees this save their money and look for something else.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 AM

I think saying that without actually trying the speaker is more than a tad biased.

True the bass is not heavy but the sound quality is very good imo.

Also just saying something is bad without trying it or suggesting something that is good isn't really helpful... although this thread has been dead for awhile so I guess nothing is probably helpful to the maker but anyone reading after this won't get much help from "don't get this speaker I've never tried because others like it suck".

Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Not sure what offends you here. I was clear in saying that I didn't own this particular one. I'm also certain that this has specs very similar of ones I have heard. I found those not to be what I'd buy and I said that. I don't see a need to buy and listen to every variation of a device to say what I've experienced with similar items.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the massive number of audio devices that really aren't worth having at any price. There's all types of mp3 players, headphones, speakers and such that are poorly designed or built. They're wholesale distributors you could contact and start a line with your name on them as long as you're willing to buy a minimum number of units.

Don't believe me? Take a run through this thread. The link to the gizmodo article still works and you should find it an interesting read.

That article primarily addresses IEMs but the same marketplace and suppliers exist for just about anything can imagine in audio. Where do you think the other speakers on the page you linked that have the same design and specs come from?

The help the next person gets is that they've been warned there's a fair chance that this one won't sound any better than the others. When your advice has been posted in a thread titled "Portable Speakers - Best right now!" I can't see the harm in letting others know that I have serious doubts if this falls in that category.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:43 AM

There was no offense taken, I was simply pointing out you came across as very biased and didn't provide any first hand information.

If you doubt me buy 1. $17 and a 3 year warranty you really can't go wrong.

If you can suggest a better portable speaker under $200 (11 times the price of the one I suggested) I will buy it and test it out as well. I'm more than willing to put my money where my mouth is.

The speaker I suggested is in my opinion much better than any suggested in this thread so far because it can do things like play on a multitude of surfaces without sound distortion or volume loss and doesn't clip horribly.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I won't be buying one of these. I heard the variants and can't see that this one is anything but the same thing rebranded. I can't see the need to eat the entire apple once the first few bites aren't to my taste.

This vendor is just that, a vendor. There's nothing that makes it seem they do anything else other than order these with their name on it. I've been up that road enough times not to want to travel it again.

Besides
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The help the next person gets is that they've been warned there's a fair chance that this one won't sound any better than the others. When your advice has been posted in a thread titled "Portable Speakers - Best right now!" I can't see the harm in letting others know that I have serious doubts if this falls in that category.
was my only purpose in coming into this thread. Now that doubt has been expressed there's no need for me to continue.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:12 AM

Ruling out everything isn't much help at all. At least leave someone with the best option out of the bunch.

And unless you try it you haven't even taken a bite out of the apple. That is like saying you tried fruit once so all fruits suck.

I however being willing to put my money where my mouth is went out and compared it against the Ihome and noticed the Ihome produced a tin-ish or staticy sound while this speaker did not.

Also I set my Clip+ Rockbox'd to the EQ preset for Rock and noticed the speaker was able to produce some decent bass. And even if it couldn't it still doesn't clip horribly or have surfaces impact its performance (although I noticed in a room it performs about 8/10 while in a car it is more like 6/10)

Tags
portable, speakers