android
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If your main need is playlists, and you don't want to move to Rockbox, just create folders as if they were your playlists. It may require some songs be on the player twice, but it will work. The dual memory issue still exists, but given the 32GB micro SD cards, and the fact that 64GB cards work in the Clip Zip (and presumably Clip+), the 2/4/8 GB main memory is becoming less important (IMO). I've started to understand JK98's position that you might as well get the smallest memory player (thus saving some $), and get a bigger micro card, and use just the memory on the card.

From the perspective of a Canadian, I'm starting to wonder if there will be any more players from Sansa. AFAIK, Sansa products are only available at one Canadian retailer. The Zip is still not available there. The Fuze+ is on final clearance. The Clip+ is still available in that store as a new item at the regular price.

Steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I've started to understand JK98's position that you might as well get the smallest memory player (thus saving some $), and get a bigger micro card, and use just the memory on the card.
Now that the 32GB cards are finally cheap, I've become more amenable to that idea also. When I bought a second Zip to supplement my review unit, I just bought a 4GB model.....and when I bought my tablet, I just got the 16GB instead of the 32GB, knowing that I had a 32GB card waiting for it.
Quote:
From the perspective of a Canadian, I'm starting to wonder if there will be any more players from Sansa. AFAIK, Sansa products are only available at one Canadian retailer. The Zip is still not available there. The Fuze+ is on final clearance. The Clip+ is still available in that store as a new item at the regular price.

Steve
It boggles my mind, the ramifications of that border between the US and Canada on the electronics' availability or lack thereof.....there's no logic there at all!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
There are other stores that carry Sansa products. Future Shop and Best Buy (essentially the same company, due to ownership) as well as some Zellers (exactly like Target) and the occasional Wal-mart have Clip+ as well as Fuze+.

But you're right, the majority of the Sansa players available are Clip+, and they're getting hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It boggles my mind, the ramifications of that border between the US and Canada on the electronics' availability or lack thereof.....there's no logic there at all!
Based upon a long conversation I had with a friend that manages a Future Shop, there are two key reasons for that.

The first is that aside from the really bad cheap brands like Hip Street and some of the middle-tier companies like Coby, everyone has given up on the Canadian market. Apple rules supreme here, despite the obvious interest of alternatives.

Only Sony (how have their own stores) and Sansa (who have a niche market as cheap but good players) are available, and even then, it's a limited selection. Archos is alive here, but only Future Shop and Best Buy carry them (and even then, it's barely anything: mostly just their smaller players and tablets like the 43). Our selection is very limited without importing.

Everyone else just gave up and decided that an entire country wasn't worth the effort to compete against Apple.

The second is supposedly a licensing/certification issue. I guess you can't just start selling your US product in Canada without going through some red tape first. So it takes longer to get electronics in stores up here unless your company is willing to go through it. The really big companies have no trouble with obvious big sellers, like video game systems, but for secondary items like music players, it's not such a big deal that they want to deal with it right away.

Meanwhile, Apple gets it done right away and gets even more of the market with each new product. That's why we saw the iPad 3 so quickly, as opposed to when previous Apple products has a delay from their US release.

So yeah, blame the manufacturers for the Canada/US disparity on DAPs. They could make the effort, but they don't seem to want to.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
There are other stores that carry Sansa products. Future Shop and Best Buy (essentially the same company, due to ownership) as well as some Zellers (exactly like Target) and the occasional Wal-mart have Clip+ as well as Fuze+.
Future Shop is the only store that I know of carrying Sansa products. It has been months since there has been any Sansa products on bestbuy.ca (although I check there less often than futureshop.ca).

I bought my Fuze in Wal-Mart back on Boxing Day 2008. I haven't seen a Sansa product in a Canadian Wal-Mart in a couple of years (not sure I've seen any in an American Wal-Mart either for that matter).

Zellers is exactly like Target? Have you been in a Canadian Target? The local Target has clothing only. But this store is called Target Apparel. I'll probably never go back in a Canadian Target - waste of time.

Over the last 3 years, I've never seen any Sansa goods advertised or in-store at a Zellers store. However, I check Zellers infrequently (less often than Best Buy).

At least in the Niagara region, only FutureShop. Oh sorry, refurbished players at Factory Direct (and maybe Tiger Direct), but I don't think that's what we are talking about. Mail order from Newegg.ca and sandisk.ca, but their shipping is too expensive when I live less than an hour from Buffalo.

Steve

Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Zellers is exactly like Target? Have you been in a Canadian Target? The local Target has clothing only. But this store is called Target Apparel.
Trust me, they are exactly the same store. They have the same color schemes, the same uniforms, they even have the same owner. Target bought Zellers. Some Zellers are getting shut down while others are just changing the name out front. Everything else is the same. Layouts, selection, everything.

(The only thing that will really change is the Zellers in-store restaurants... not that they were exactly a big attraction. I'm thinking those are going.)

I remember the first time I went to a Target store in the US, and all I could think was "Jesus christ, I'm in a Zellers. When did I cross the Canadian border? I'm in Texas, that shouldn't be possible."

On-topic (more so), online is really the best option for DAPs in Canada these days. Even Canadian sites offer far better selection and prices than any store.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If your main need is playlists, and you don't want to move to Rockbox, just create folders as if they were your playlists. It may require some songs be on the player twice, but it will work. The dual memory issue still exists, but given the 32GB micro SD cards, and the fact that 64GB cards work in the Clip Zip (and presumably Clip+), the 2/4/8 GB main memory is becoming less important (IMO). I've started to understand JK98's position that you might as well get the smallest memory player (thus saving some $), and get a bigger micro card, and use just the memory on the card.
I use tags to make my psuedo-playlists. I picked it up from using a Sony in MSC. It doesn't support .m3u playlists so I started changing the Genre tag to Playlist1, Playlist2, PlaylistJazz...etc.

I found changing the genre tag let me make playlists from files on both memories when I first got my Fuze and Rockbox wasn't ready. The way the sandisk firmware creates a single library from the tags lets the files be on either the internal or external memory. As long as the genre tag is the same they all play together when I played that genre based list regardless of location.

The files I put on my players never come back to my PC library so changing the tags their doesn't disrupt my library. I usually don''t use the Genre tag for browsing on the player so changing that tag doesn't change how I use the player. There was no need for duplicate files. I just use a tagging software to tag the existing files.

I'm not sure how this would work on a Zip as I've never needed to try it on one. I'm guessing that as long as it reads those slightly unconventional genre tags like the Clip+ and Fuze did it should work the same.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Talking Easy way to put a playlist on Sansa Clip Zip 4GB

If you have Windows 7, then I have the perfect way to make another playlist on a Sansa Clip Zip 4GB, and it uses only Windows Explorer. I don't know how to do it on other OSs, so don't ask. How to do it:
1. Browse to the Internal Memory, and go to the folder with one of the music files you want to put on the playlist. (Remember: the songs have to come from the player itself, not the computer.)
2. Right-click on a song, and choose "Create Playlist". This will create a playlist containing only that song in that folder. To add more songs, right-click on the playlist, select "properties", and go to the References tab. It will be a PLA file with a green "play" sign on it, this is normal. (If the image/icon is a blank sheet, try again; you might have accidentally copied it to the wrong folder. As far as I know, PLA format only exists in the Sansa.
3. Add all the songs that you want to your new playlist.
4. Cut and paste the playlist into the Playlists folder in the Internal Memory folder. Example: (Computer\Sansa Clip Zip 4GB\Internal Memory\Playlists) Copy it to this folder.
5. Unplug the Sansa, and enjoy!

Note: you only need Windows 7, Windows Explorer, and the Sansa (connector cord too) for this method. It really works!

Last edited by speedyquader; 11-22-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: See note

Old 11-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Thanks for your contribution and hope you don't mind if I add a few things. What you're describing is a long known attribute of Windows implementation of MTP transfer. There was a fair amount of discussion about this several years ago that prompted me to post this.

That was in 2009 so I would have been using WinXP at the time. The important part isn't that you're on Win7, it's that the MTP drivers that Windows media Player or the MTP porting kit provides are installed. If those drivers are in place and the file types are ones Windows know the Clip can use what you describe work nicely. I'm not sure if the most recently made playlist over writing others is still an issue.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 AM

thanks! I wasn't sure why I didn't have any problems... I have no idea what MTP transfer is... apparently it came with the computer or someone in my family installed it.