android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-08-2013, 02:06 AM

:-D true true.. I find myself worrying... does that sound better or worse than my other phones... and completely not enjoying my tunes :-\ :-D

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2013, 06:24 AM

Why i still in my heart have love for ABI still sense after a decade or so.

I got messaged last week after posting the FI-BA-SS review on my site and had to explain that the differences between something rated 7/10 and 10/10 are extremely marginal and almost non existent to a lay person who doesn't know what he is looking for. Another said they were going to buy a cheap car but instead was thinking about just taking a bus and getting the FI-BA

The other thing I get a lot is why are my reviews of most phones positive, well simple fact is that most of what i review is over that price threshold where to be honest pretty much all sound good (bar a review of a POS im putting up this week) and i am just trying to pick out subtle technical abilities which are minor. More major differentiators are the sound sig, the build quality, isolation level, styling and accessories etc

Even more so on the player front. The dx50 is better than the clip sq wise but that is mainly down to the 24bit files.

I think the greatest thing I saw all week a man named rudi claimed ipad air sounds significantly better than the ipad 4 both going through the Line out into a clas and amp. Now thats a dude that seems to drop 4000+ on setups, cables and the like, doesn't know what he is talking about and is certainly only getting the worst of the diminished returns.

The whole hobby has snowballed in the past couple of years and Im not so sure its for the best.

Anyway I digress off topic. lalala

Or like Stozz-Audio on facebook for updates of when new reviews come out and ex review sample giveawayshttps://www.facebook.com/StozzAudio

Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
If you search for HiFiMan here at ABi you will find few (if any) positives. If you look at Head-Fi, I understand that you will find HiFiMan well beloved.

It's your choice who you believe.

IMO, get a Clip+ or Clip Zip and if the rest of your money is burning a hole in your pocket, give it to my favourite charity (I'll happily send you my the address).

Steve
Sorry. Confusing answer. The OP asked for recommendation on an earbud as well, you gave recommendation on the player and to give the rest of his money to charity. So in the end, with what should he listen to his music?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 PM
Administrator

You're missing that comment wasn't meant seriously. He'll use the combo he decided on in post#11.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 PM

In fairness, HifiMan's headphones and IEMs are pretty good quality, in my experience. (That said, they should've stuck to just making those, IMHO.)

Old 01-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Why you guys think Hifiman makes bad products? WHY? A LOT of reviews are with positive opinions like Hifiman HE-500 one of the best sounding headphones. And when you compare hifiman players to other cheap one like sansa you only show numbers and diagrams. Face it guys, you can't afford hifiman, so that's why you say they are bad.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Lol.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilelis View Post
Why you guys think Hifiman makes bad products? WHY? A LOT of reviews are with positive opinions like Hifiman HE-500 one of the best sounding headphones.
I don't think most of us here have complained about their earphones and headphones...just the players.
Quote:
And when you compare hifiman players to other cheap one like sansa you only show numbers and diagrams. Face it guys, you can't afford hifiman, so that's why you say they are bad.
I've got enough money set aside that I could buy one....but they'd have to pay me to use one.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Why you guys think Hifiman makes bad products? WHY? A LOT of reviews are with positive opinions like Hifiman HE-500 one of the best sounding headphones. And when you compare hifiman players to other cheap one like sansa you only show numbers and diagrams. Face it guys, you can't afford hifiman, so that's why you say they are bad.
Not at all. I'm just too bright to pay that type of cash for a verifiably inferior product. Not that they should sound bad in most cases. It's just that their DAPs are made to produce the signal improperly in an attempt to fix a problem that doesn't exist in well made players.

I think of it as a matter of knowledge and priorities. You may need to pay someone to roll off the treble to produce a pleasing sound. I know how to use an equalizer to achieve the same effect. That leaves me that much more to spend on better headphones and well produced music.

If you're uninformed enough to believe that it's better and prefer to buy something that's incapable of producing a clean signal, you have my blessing. Just don't expect me to join you based on the same tired arguments several other Hifiman shills and fanboi have presented before.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
And when you compare hifiman players to other cheap one like sansa you only show numbers and diagrams.
And listening tests: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=34.
Quote:
Face it guys, you can't afford hifiman, so that's why you say they are bad.
Your argument has been used before. If one cannot afford $21 000 for loudspeaker wire, one will claim it is a rip-off. If one cannot afford about $35 000 for a CD player, one will claim it is a rip-off. If one cannot afford more than $40 000 for audio cable, one will claim it is a rip-off.

If one cannot afford 650 000 USD for an amplifier, one will claim it is a rip-off. Etc. Your claim that it is envy that makes us claim that that digital-audio player is bad falls apart for the same reason these other claims also fall apart—ABX tests. Do not criticize what you do not understand. Because that only makes you look foolish.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't think most of us here have complained about their earphones and headphones...just the players.
In a thread asking for advice on earphones.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
In a thread asking for advice on earphones.
Seems you didn't read the first post.
Quote:
So, I'm choosing earphones and mp3 player. I was thinking about HiFiMAN RE-400 and HiFiMAN HM-601. But I read an article that HM-601 isn't that good for that price it's same or worse than Clip +. Is my choose RE-400 and HM-601 is good ? Maybe you can suggest some other mp3's and earphones(like fischer audio)?

P.S I have very good experience with Fischer Audio FA-003. Got them and like them
The parts I've put in bold request assistance in making a choice not just on headphones. The members gave that assistance. The OP didn't like what was said but it was within the scope of the original request.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Seems you didn't read the first post.The parts I've put in bold request assistance in making a choice not just on headphones. The members gave that assistance. The OP didn't like what was said but it was within the scope of the original request.
Thanks. You're right.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 PM

So, what's the sweet spot for price/performance ratio?

The price you are willing to pay for quality <> the price you are not willing to pay?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It depends on the individual.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:

The price you are willing to pay for quality <> the price you are not willing to pay?
I'd say about £90 to £100.

I recently paid £100 for my Sony XBA-H1, (although they can be had for less online) and they really sound excellent to me. I think that if I was to pay £150 or £200 upwards for different iems they would perhaps only sound a tiny bit better, not enough to make it worth it for me.

Last edited by Jeven; 02-21-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I disagree. Imo the sweet spot, that gives the best performance per dollar is at around $20-$50(actual discounted price, not list price) for an earphone. Of course one needs to shop carefully, as some earphones in this price range are total junk, while others are an excellent value. At $25 the Sony XBA-1 seems like a very good value. As I use mine, I am liking it more. When it was $65 two years ago, I was not tempted enough to buy it.

The XBA-H1 is probably quite excellent, however at around 6x the current price of the XBA-1, it might not be that easy convincing people that it is 6x as good. I guess many are still thinking of the XBA-1 as being around a $75 earphone, and the XBA-H1 being only around twice as much.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Well some people spend 1000s on custom iems.

I can say that the XBA-H1 sound so much better than the XBA-2s, well worth the exra to me, to the extent that I've no wish to ever use the XBA-2 again - they just sit in a drawer as I consider them worthless.