android
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Default S9 is gone...need advice for replacement!!!...

First, a pox upon whoever decided they needed my backpack and its contents more than I. Among other important things, the contents included my beloved S9 and a pair of Nu-Force NE-6s....both of which have been discontinued.

I will be replacing the NE-6s with a pair of SoundMAGIC E-10s, so no problem there. The more difficult decision is how to replace the S9. I have no need for video capability, web-browsing, or anything like that; I am only in it for sound quality!!! Things I liked about the S9 were long battery life, AMOLED touchscreen, sleek look and feel and, of course, the great sound quality. What I didn't like was the lack of an SD card slot, but that's not a deal-breaker...I think 32gb would meet my needs just fine.

I do want to stick with Cowon if possible. I want to stay away from the Z2, etc., as I don't want to shell out big bucks for stuff I'll never use. So, do I risk getting a used S9? Do I go with the iAudio 10? What other good options are there? I need some opinions and advice from all you experts out there!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Default S9 is gone...need advice replacing it!!!...

If 32GB is enough I would go with the I9+.
Honestly though, I would go J3 even though it's discontinued, but I'm the world's biggest J3 fanboi. There are a few on ebay right now, and I have seen two nice 32GB ones in the last week or two go for not much more than $200. That's not an outlandish price to pay for a J3 IMHO.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator

The only thing about the i9+ is the much shorter battery life. It's only rated at 29 hrs. vs the 55 of the S9. The iAudio 10 is better at 38 hrs. but that still down quite a bit. Most of the folks I read about that liked the S9 moved to the iAudio 10 and just charged more often.

The Cowon D20 hasn't been released in the US but it can be had through Amazon. The 16 GB is ~around $150 with shipping. I'm not sure if there's any import fees. It's not nearly as sleek and has a resistive screen but has a 90 hr battery rating.

As a last resort you may want to get a smartphone. It's fairly easy to find an inexpensive last gen model with decent audio output on ebay or craigslist. There's RMAA test results on gsmsarena that will give you a good idea which ones are up to snuff. There's been some improvements in Android audio starting with Jelly Bean so you don't want to get one that's too old.

I've used my Soundmagic E10 with a few of them and haven't found anything to complain about. That's with my middle age ears and not really trying to do any volume matched testing, ymmv.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Well, I said I was going to shy away from the Z2 because I didn't want to shell out big bucks for features I didn't need...that is, until I found a 8gb Z2 for $177 through JetMall! So Z2 it is.

Would have followed Dawning's advice by getting a J3, but just couldn't find a reliable one for a reasonable price.

Thanks Dawning and Skip for your input.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM

OK, not that anyone cares, but had a last second change of heart. I need longer battery life for extended hiking trips...cancelled the order for the Z2 and ended up going with a D20.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The D20 is the more reliable device, you made the right choice. Enjoy!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Administrator

It's not that I didn't care. I just didn't want to criticize your decision and prejudice you against your choice before you had a chance to check it out for yourself.

I've heard nothing good about the reliability and usefulness of the Z2. Also if you consider it's stuck on an outdated version of Android that really made me think it isn't a great choice. For me a D20 at ~150 is the much better choice.

It's not the most modern or sexiest thing out there but should sound every bit as good as your S9 and deliver better battery life. Please let us know how it works for you. I haven't heard much about it from anyone that's experienced them both. If you're a BBE user I'd be interested if the newer set of JetEffects improves on the old presets.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Thanks fellas. Makes me feel better about switching to the D20. The Z2 decision just wasn't sitting well, especially the more I thought about the mere 22hr (at best) battery life.

Skip, if I remember I'll post my impressions of the updated JetEffects compared to what was on my S9. It will be at least a couple weeks, though, as the D20 has to ship from Japan.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:40 AM

I recently did the same - though there were no real alternatives to size, battery life and versatibility. What are your experiences so far ?

For me the read-errors of my D2 slowly increase (skips during playback), but apart that player really lasts a damn long time (I only needed to replace the battery once since I bought it).

I seem have to live with the fact that they will not offer 24bit support on those small devices (I can hear a difference due to the fact that the digital noise is lower for 24bit on my own recordings). Seems mobile phone/rockbox is the only option (I wish the Sansa Clip+ had the double amount of battery life...).

Last edited by realsuamor; 11-24-2013 at 02:05 AM.