android
Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 AM

Unhappy Somehow sansa messed up my songs

I don't know how to explain this, I copied my music from 2 8gb cards(hp brand) to my desktop folder (since my laptop had only one space for an sd card) then moved them all to a sansa 16gb sd card. Everything went well windows wise. I waited for my sansa clip and clip + (I tried both out before posting on here) My music played well, it wasn't until I went to skip a song that I discovered they were mostly labeled like ^$&DHFSKJ . I put the micro sd card into the adapter and on windows it show those same songs as ^$&DHFSKJ. Any idea how to fix this? Seems odd that a sansa sd card would do this onto its own player >.<

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Administrator

It seems you put the files on the player and are seeing the names differently in Explorer. If the Clips are in Autodefect mode that's normal. If you didn't specifically set them to one mode or the other they are in the default MTP USB mode.

Autodefect defaults to MTP which isn't strictly speaking a file system. It's a set of links the player creates so it can read the files. There's no regard to what the files and folders look like to you. If the files and folders are different when they come off the player or are viewed in Explorer that's not something that the programmers consider a concern.

That's not just sandisk. Every MTP player I've dealt with will change names as seen in Explorer to accommodate what it needs to read the information contained in the tags.

In MTP the only thing that matters is if the player itself can read the information and presents it properly in the player's interface. MTP enabled software like WMP, MediaMonkey or Musicbee should also be able to see the tag info and work within a MTP loaded DAP.

If you plan on using Explorer to try to manage your files you need to change the USB transfer mode to MSC. Files transferred in MTP can't be seen in MSC so it's best to delete all the ones on there now then add them again from your backup. When the database refreshes with the new files they should still be the same as when you placed them on the player.

If you don't have your files backed up, you should. If the only copy of your files is on a DAP it's not a matter of if you'll lose them, it's when. DAPs are made for playing music, not storage. Even using one for temporary storage is risky. Especially if it's set to MTP.

The only thing that can read an MTP system is the player that created it. File recovery software can't help if a player in MTP malfunctions, is formatted or has have it's firmware updated to deal with a problem. Whatever was on there then is gone forever.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM

This MSC/MTP thing is causing more problems than you can shake a stick at. Add to that Sansa's decision to make life easier by adding an auto mode that manages to make life harder and you have enough material to keep this group going forever.
The only time MTP mode is needed is when dealing with protected music. The only solution as far as I can see is for Sansa to be kind enough to include a concise explanation with the player and hope people read and understand it. The manual is no help, too few people read manuals.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
This MSC/MTP thing is causing more problems than you can shake a stick at. Add to that Sansa's decision to make life easier by adding an auto mode that manages to make life harder and you have enough material to keep this group going forever.
The only time MTP mode is needed is when dealing with protected music. The only solution as far as I can see is for Sansa to be kind enough to include a concise explanation with the player and hope people read and understand it. The manual is no help, too few people read manuals.
And they probably wouldn't read and understand the concise explanation even if it was stuck to the face of the player.

BTW, I think this has been a problem since I got my first Clip back in 2007. Even if Sansa was still making mp3 players, I doubt that there would be any change.

Steve

Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM

well the good thing is the music thats on my sansa originally was burnt off a cd so i have the cd to rip from. Also I have the same computer that burn those cds so the names will still be listed without me having to go thru each one to name.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadentone View Post
well the good thing is the music thats on my sansa originally was burnt off a cd so i have the cd to rip from. Also I have the same computer that burn those cds so the names will still be listed without me having to go thru each one to name.
Aren't the songs still on your PC hard drive? How about on those 8GB cards? Should still be good there.

Steve

Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Aren't the songs still on your PC hard drive? How about on those 8GB cards? Should still be good there.

Steve

i believe they're there just wondering how to make the thing correct the names

Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Administrator

If the names aren't displaying properly on the player that means the files need to be tagged. The tags are mostly what's read to create the database the player uses to display information. MP3Tag is about as good as it gets for doing that.

Even if they're files are properly tagged they may not look the same in Explorer after the database refresh if you use MTP mode to transfer your files. I explained why that is earlier in this thread. If you don't want the file or folder names changed you'll need to switch to MSC mode.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have used USB MSC mode exclusively on my Clips for years, and no issues. MSC mode--rah! MTP mode--not so rah . . . .