android
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Educate me on Stax

I saw a youtube review that claims its one of the best on the market specifically the SR-009 model

http://www.stax.co.jp/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Does any professional recording studios use electrostatic headphones/speakers?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 PM

"Educate me on Stax" --> $$$$$$$$$$$
in no specific order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stax_Earspeakers
http://www.stax.co.jp/index-E.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...#Electrostatic
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...702/index.html
http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.ed...lmore2_prj.htm

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Does any professional recording studios use electrostatic headphones/speakers?
I am sure there is some studio out there that uses them but I've never heard of one. Studios tend to prefer durable, easily repairable and replaceable headphones. I don't know many studios that spend more than 150$ per headphones.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Many like to use the Sony MDR-7506 since it is very rugged, very neutral sounding, and only around $100. I guess many also use the AKG K240 studio.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

IMHO the SR-009 is great if you want to get ripped off of $5,000.00 U.S. dollars. I am certain there are headphones at a fraction of that cost that sound just as good or even better.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Many like to use the Sony MDR-7506 since it is very rugged, very neutral sounding, and only around $100. I guess many also use the AKG K240 studio.
Indeed. Also, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Beyerdynamic DT250 and DT770 Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50 are commonly found in studios. They are all in more or less the same price bracket (100-150$) and they all sound really good for the price, are rugged and easily serviceable.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
IMHO the SR-009 is great if you want to get ripped off of $5,000.00 U.S. dollars. I am certain there are headphones at a fraction of that cost that sound just as good or even better.
I spend well over an hour about 5 different times over the course of 2 days listening to them on a Woo GES. While they don't have uber bass lows they cover the sound spectrum from low to high very respectable and are very clear with a fantastic sound stage. The build quality is second to none, I've never had a more comfortable/enjoyable listening experience with any other headphone that I recall as well. That said, if I just won a huge lotto prize (millions) I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any headphone. I would rather buy a new amp because mines older than grandma and new speakers but that's about it.

BTW, My first pair of expensive headphones were Teledyne electrostatic headphones. Yes I know they were ugly as sin, but fun to hear at that time. While I can not remember what I paid for them and the amp combo, I assure you it wasn't more than $100.00 bucks.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I spend well over an hour about 5 different times over the course of 2 days listening to them on a Woo GES. While they don't have uber bass lows they cover the sound spectrum from low to high very respectable and are very clear with a fantastic sound stage. The build quality is second to none, I've never had a more comfortable/enjoyable listening experience with any other headphone that I recall as well. That said, if I just won a huge lotto prize (millions) I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any headphone. I would rather buy a new amp because mines older than grandma and new speakers but that's about it.

BTW, My first pair of expensive headphones were Teledyne electrostatic headphones. Yes I know they were ugly as sin, but fun to hear at that time. While I can not remember what I paid for them and the amp combo, I assure you it wasn't more than $100.00 bucks.
They must sound very good and being they are comfortable that's even better. But, at the price of $5000.00 they not only have to sound the best, be the most comfortable, they also need to......
Nah, I won't go there, but you know what I mean.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
They must sound very good and being they are comfortable that's even better. But, at the price of $5000.00 they not only have to sound the best, be the most comfortable, they also need to......
Nah, I won't go there, but you know what I mean.
Let's assume they are the best, as I said before "I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any headphone," but I would certainly enjoy the listen for free

*assume is bold because I believe that whats best for someone might not be best for you or I and vise versa. We each have different taste.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
I am sure there is some studio out there that uses them but I've never heard of one. Studios tend to prefer durable, easily repairable and replaceable headphones. I don't know many studios that spend more than 150$ per headphones.
Exactly. Thus I cannot comprehend why electrostats even exist in the first place.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Market niches! Some prefer Ferrari, others Aston Martin. Regular Joes like me and you can only afford a decent Senn ou AT...

Electrostatic headphones are just a different technological approach to reproduction of sounds. They are far more expensive if they are built properly, because they demand high voltage to create vibration capable of producing all the dynamic range. So, they have to be sold with their own power station which also acts as an amp.

People who use them refer the greater soudstage and spaciality of music and the accuracy of the mid tones. I never tried elects...
| SanDisk Sansa Fuze v2 8Gb black Rockboxed | SanDisk Clip Zip 4Gb orange | uSD Kingston 8Gb | uSD Transcend 16Gb | Radiopaq Jazz / Pioneer CL21 / JBL ROXY / Sansa stock earbuds / Creative EP-480 (yeah, I love stock earbuds...) |

Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Ah - and they're not meant for pro/studio use. Only domestic. By those old audiophile guys with beards drinkin' conhaque and lighting cuban cigars on a tube...
| SanDisk Sansa Fuze v2 8Gb black Rockboxed | SanDisk Clip Zip 4Gb orange | uSD Kingston 8Gb | uSD Transcend 16Gb | Radiopaq Jazz / Pioneer CL21 / JBL ROXY / Sansa stock earbuds / Creative EP-480 (yeah, I love stock earbuds...) |

Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
... I cannot comprehend why electrostats even exist in the first place.
Electrostatic headphones are supposed to have the lowest distortion or artifacts of any dynamic speaker made, that's why. BTW, they work on the same principle as professional recording studio large-diaphragm condenser microphones.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The measurements at innerfidelity would indicate this.

I've decided I must have a pair of LCD2's one day, but certainly nothing past that.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post

did you also tried the lcd3?
he-60 or he500
mdr-r10

Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM

I heard only low-end Stax 2170. It was great - they sounded so much otherwise then dynamic headphones But they don't have great bas - it is dynamic and has great factory, but for most will be too little low tones. They are very accurate. But everything depends from what do You prefer. I more like Beyerdynamic DT-880 with good tube amp. Of course my electrostatic experience based only on this cheapest Stax headphones.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 PM

STAX seem to fall under that glorious category of 'it's ugly and expensive, so it must be a trade-off for sound quality!' that so attracts audiophiles to making unwise online purchases for things whose legendary sound quality they've only read about (from users frequently suffering from sunk-cost induced delusions). Hear it before you believe it should be a motto, at least as a good replacement to 'sorry about your wallet, [idiot/sucker].' Just general wisdom, no idea what they're actually like, dear reader of ancient threads.