android
  #1  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 AM
blackfrog's Avatar
blackfrog blackfrog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Default Access sansa clip+ via usb

I just got my brandnew beamer with idrive and usb-connection. Now i just can't figure it out how to connect my clip+ porperly via usb. When it's connected battery is loading but that's it. So I wonder what's wrong. The device does not appear to be connected to the system. USB stick works fine in my car. Connecting clip via aux in also works. But clip+ and usb??

Last edited by blackfrog; 10-31-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfrog View Post
I just got my brandnew beamer with idrive and usb-connection. Now i just can't figure it out how to connect my clip+ porperly via usb. When it's connected battery is loading but that's it. So I wonder what's wrong. The device does not appear to be connected to the system. USB stick works fine in my car. Connecting clip via aux in also works. But clip+ and usb??
It's not possible. Just stick with the aux-in, or your USB stick.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 AM
blackfrog's Avatar
blackfrog blackfrog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Well thx. But can you be a little bit more precisely.

The sansa clip zip is on the list of compatible devices of bmw. Why shouldn't it work with the clip+?
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 AM
dave61430 dave61430 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 158
Default

I've had no experience with this, but if it is intended to work the device would need to be in msc mode. Also, initially I would try it without an external card plugged in.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM
blackfrog's Avatar
blackfrog blackfrog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Thx. I should have mentioned that the clip+ is rockboxed and set to msc. Will try without external card.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfrog View Post
Well thx. But can you be a little bit more precisely.

The sansa clip zip is on the list of compatible devices of bmw. Why shouldn't it work with the clip+?
Interesting....I am surprised by that. Well, dave61430's suggestion of MSC mode is likely the way to go.

In Rockbox there is a setting "USB Hide internal drive" which I would guess is meant for this kind of situation so you could just play music off the microsd card. But it is possible that the car might not recognize Rockbox but would recognize the crappy original firmware....worth a look.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,258
Default

That's just why the hide internal drive setting was added to Rockbox, Marv. Some head units get confused when presented with multiple drives and don't recognize anything. Even if there's no card present the external drive is seen. Putting the files on a card and hiding the internal drive lets the head unit see the Clip+ as a single drive it can read. It doesn't work in every case but if the head unit can deal with a USB stick there's a good chance it will.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM
blackfrog's Avatar
blackfrog blackfrog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Default

After updating the BMW Software i can access the Clip+ but only with Sansa SW. Works also with SD card. I can browse all the folders and files.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM
dave61430 dave61430 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 158
Default

Glad to hear you have something working. I'm curious as to what is working, by which I mean how do you navigate. Does the BMW just see the device as a USB stick and ignore the clip setting for current album etc. You would navigate using the BMW controls, or is this not the case.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 AM
blackfrog's Avatar
blackfrog blackfrog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 5
Default

I navigate with the BMW idrive wheel on the cars display. You have to turn the wheel to go up and down in the folder/file system. To select a song/folder you have to push the wheel down. Push left or right would have been better. Navigation is a little tricky.

Internal Memory and SD card appear as seperate drives with all files and folders like on the clip.

ID3 Tags are displayed correctly also the embedded cover.

Problem still is, that when I turn off the car, I have to disconnect the clip.
If not it won't start again without reset. Means that the display stays black. Then i push the start button for 15 secs. Then restart. and then it starts again. That sucks.

My idea would be that the device turns on and off with car when connected, but anyway it's much better than before like holding the Clip and trying to read the tiny letters while you're driving. The BMW is a good accessory for clip.

I hope I answered the question.

Last edited by blackfrog; 11-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 11-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfrog View Post
My idea would be that the device turns on and off with car when connected
You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state. At rockbox.org.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state. At rockbox.org.
Clearly you didn't read the whole thread.....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Clearly you didn't read the whole thread.....
Thank you, I had.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state. At rockbox.org.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Clearly you didn't read the whole thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Thank you, I had.
Really? Well, lets see here....

Post #5....
Quote:
Thx. I should have mentioned that the clip+ is rockboxed and set to msc. Will try without external card.
Post #6....
Quote:
In Rockbox there is a setting "USB Hide internal drive" which I would guess is meant for this kind of situation so you could just play music off the microsd card. But it is possible that the car might not recognize Rockbox but would recognize the crappy original firmware....worth a look.
Post #7....
Quote:
That's just why the hide internal drive setting was added to Rockbox, Marv. Some head units get confused when presented with multiple drives and don't recognize anything. Even if there's no card present the external drive is seen. Putting the files on a card and hiding the internal drive lets the head unit see the Clip+ as a single drive it can read. It doesn't work in every case but if the head unit can deal with a USB stick there's a good chance it will.
Post #8....
Quote:
After updating the BMW Software i can access the Clip+ but only with Sansa SW. Works also with SD card. I can browse all the folders and files.
I guess reading and comprehending do not go hand in hand.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,045
Default

Damn,...OwNEd!!! Lol!!!
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Really? Well, lets see here....

Post #5....


Post #6....


Post #7....

Post #8....


I guess reading and comprehending do not go hand in hand.
LOL--wow, you really must have a lot of time on your hands. But it's always good to offer constructive thoughts in a positive manner.

The car mode I was referring to was for the power (as my post indicated--"You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state."), not for internal/external memory. (Rockbox at least used to have that mode; I haven't checked in quite awhile.) I guess you missed that when doing your research up above and in doing your "reading and comprehending." LOL.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
LOL--wow, you really must have a lot of time on your hands. But it's always good to offer constructive thoughts in a positive manner.

The car mode I was referring to was for the power (as my post indicated--"You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state."), not for internal/external memory. (Rockbox at least used to have that mode; I haven't checked in quite awhile.) I guess you missed that when doing your research up above and in doing your "reading and comprehending." LOL.
I didn't miss that at all.....that's why I mentioned Post #8....
Quote:
After updating the BMW Software i can access the Clip+ but only with Sansa SW. Works also with SD card. I can browse all the folders and files.
The Rockbox car mode will do him no good, since the car will not recognize the player using Rockbox.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,474
Default

Yep, such a shame for him. But in the end, no real great hassle in the grand scheme of things, in only having to turn the player on/off--just like with a car radio. And better than having a player that won't connect. And should Rockbox at some point work for him in the car, car mode will answer one of his requests.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.