android
Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 AM

Default Access sansa clip+ via usb

I just got my brandnew beamer with idrive and usb-connection. Now i just can't figure it out how to connect my clip+ porperly via usb. When it's connected battery is loading but that's it. So I wonder what's wrong. The device does not appear to be connected to the system. USB stick works fine in my car. Connecting clip via aux in also works. But clip+ and usb??

Last edited by blackfrog; 10-31-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfrog View Post
I just got my brandnew beamer with idrive and usb-connection. Now i just can't figure it out how to connect my clip+ porperly via usb. When it's connected battery is loading but that's it. So I wonder what's wrong. The device does not appear to be connected to the system. USB stick works fine in my car. Connecting clip via aux in also works. But clip+ and usb??
It's not possible. Just stick with the aux-in, or your USB stick.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 AM

Well thx. But can you be a little bit more precisely.

The sansa clip zip is on the list of compatible devices of bmw. Why shouldn't it work with the clip+?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:58 AM

I've had no experience with this, but if it is intended to work the device would need to be in msc mode. Also, initially I would try it without an external card plugged in.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM

Thx. I should have mentioned that the clip+ is rockboxed and set to msc. Will try without external card.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well thx. But can you be a little bit more precisely.

The sansa clip zip is on the list of compatible devices of bmw. Why shouldn't it work with the clip+?
Interesting....I am surprised by that. Well, dave61430's suggestion of MSC mode is likely the way to go.

In Rockbox there is a setting "USB Hide internal drive" which I would guess is meant for this kind of situation so you could just play music off the microsd card. But it is possible that the car might not recognize Rockbox but would recognize the crappy original firmware....worth a look.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator

That's just why the hide internal drive setting was added to Rockbox, Marv. Some head units get confused when presented with multiple drives and don't recognize anything. Even if there's no card present the external drive is seen. Putting the files on a card and hiding the internal drive lets the head unit see the Clip+ as a single drive it can read. It doesn't work in every case but if the head unit can deal with a USB stick there's a good chance it will.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:32 PM

After updating the BMW Software i can access the Clip+ but only with Sansa SW. Works also with SD card. I can browse all the folders and files.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM

Glad to hear you have something working. I'm curious as to what is working, by which I mean how do you navigate. Does the BMW just see the device as a USB stick and ignore the clip setting for current album etc. You would navigate using the BMW controls, or is this not the case.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 AM

I navigate with the BMW idrive wheel on the cars display. You have to turn the wheel to go up and down in the folder/file system. To select a song/folder you have to push the wheel down. Push left or right would have been better. Navigation is a little tricky.

Internal Memory and SD card appear as seperate drives with all files and folders like on the clip.

ID3 Tags are displayed correctly also the embedded cover.

Problem still is, that when I turn off the car, I have to disconnect the clip.
If not it won't start again without reset. Means that the display stays black. Then i push the start button for 15 secs. Then restart. and then it starts again. That sucks.

My idea would be that the device turns on and off with car when connected, but anyway it's much better than before like holding the Clip and trying to read the tiny letters while you're driving. The BMW is a good accessory for clip.

I hope I answered the question.

Last edited by blackfrog; 11-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My idea would be that the device turns on and off with car when connected
You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state. At rockbox.org.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state. At rockbox.org.
Clearly you didn't read the whole thread.....

Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Thank you, I had.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, I had.
Really? Well, lets see here....

Post #5....
Quote:
Thx. I should have mentioned that the clip+ is rockboxed and set to msc. Will try without external card.
Post #6....
Quote:
In Rockbox there is a setting "USB Hide internal drive" which I would guess is meant for this kind of situation so you could just play music off the microsd card. But it is possible that the car might not recognize Rockbox but would recognize the crappy original firmware....worth a look.
Post #7....
Quote:
That's just why the hide internal drive setting was added to Rockbox, Marv. Some head units get confused when presented with multiple drives and don't recognize anything. Even if there's no card present the external drive is seen. Putting the files on a card and hiding the internal drive lets the head unit see the Clip+ as a single drive it can read. It doesn't work in every case but if the head unit can deal with a USB stick there's a good chance it will.
Post #8....
Quote:
After updating the BMW Software i can access the Clip+ but only with Sansa SW. Works also with SD card. I can browse all the folders and files.
I guess reading and comprehending do not go hand in hand.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn,...OwNEd!!! Lol!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Really? Well, lets see here....

Post #5....

Post #6....

Post #7....

Post #8....

I guess reading and comprehending do not go hand in hand.
LOL--wow, you really must have a lot of time on your hands. But it's always good to offer constructive thoughts in a positive manner.

The car mode I was referring to was for the power (as my post indicated--"You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state."), not for internal/external memory. (Rockbox at least used to have that mode; I haven't checked in quite awhile.) I guess you missed that when doing your research up above and in doing your "reading and comprehending." LOL.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
LOL--wow, you really must have a lot of time on your hands. But it's always good to offer constructive thoughts in a positive manner.

The car mode I was referring to was for the power (as my post indicated--"You may want to check out the alternative Rockbox firmware, which indeed has a car mode recognizing the car's on/off state."), not for internal/external memory. (Rockbox at least used to have that mode; I haven't checked in quite awhile.) I guess you missed that when doing your research up above and in doing your "reading and comprehending." LOL.
I didn't miss that at all.....that's why I mentioned Post #8....
Quote:
The Rockbox car mode will do him no good, since the car will not recognize the player using Rockbox.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, such a shame for him. But in the end, no real great hassle in the grand scheme of things, in only having to turn the player on/off--just like with a car radio. And better than having a player that won't connect. And should Rockbox at some point work for him in the car, car mode will answer one of his requests.