android
Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 AM

Default Refreshing media always hangs halfway

I got a rockboxd sansa clip + and since theres problem when u connect it to a pc with the rb fw, i boot it to the ofw but of course it would refresh ur media but its slow as heck and it gets stuck halfway!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Administrator

If the OF database refresh won't complete usually it's because it runs into tags it can't read. There's been a number of threads about that but this one probably has the most usable info on how to deal with that.

The parts I found helped me the most was creating a sane file\folder hierarchy, getting rid of tags the Clip+ doesn't need and writing the tags using MP3Tag set to write ID3v.2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags. Doing that I was able to reduce the DB refresh time on a Clip+ with a 16 GB card from over 8 mins to ~2 mins, YMMV.

You can also try the "overfill the internal memory" workaround you'll find here. I used that for quite a while until USB support became available in Rockbox for the Clip+ and Clip Zip.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If the OF database refresh won't complete usually it's because it runs into tags it can't read. There's been a number of threads about that but this one probably has the most usable info on how to deal with that.

The parts I found helped me the most was creating a sane file\folder hierarchy, getting rid of tags the Clip+ doesn't need and writing the tags using MP3Tag set to write ID3v.2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags. Doing that I was able to reduce the DB refresh time on a Clip+ with a 16 GB card from over 8 mins to ~2 mins, YMMV.

You can also try the "overfill the internal memory" workaround you'll find here. I used that for quite a while until USB support became available in Rockbox for the Clip+ and Clip Zip.
So i just remove the extra tags then? Like APE? What else? Im afraid i will remove ALL the tags and there will be no info on my audio files.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM

So im in mp3tag right now and what can i do to remove the unneeded tags?? I dont wanna write tags of it on EVERY album. thatd be torture.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Set up MP3Tag like the pic in post #6 in the first link. Select any MP3 files you want and save them. That will write the ID3v2.3 tags in the format you need. Select them again and remove the tags. That will remove everything but the tags you've just written.

That only works for MP3 files. Don't remove the tags from AAC, Vorbis or anything else other than MP3s or you'll have to retag them. Any other codec requires a tag cut and paste.

You can also select the files, right click and check the Extended tags. Remove anything the Clip+ doesn't display. Tags like album art, comments, album artist, anything you don't see on the Clip+ isn't needed and just takes more time to be read during the database refresh.

I'd make copies on the player to work with. I like to assume that everyone knows not to store their only copy of their files on a player but you can never be sure. Whatever you do don't do that! That makes it not a matter of if you lose your files but when you lose your files. You can use MP3tag with the files on the player.

It runs somewhat slower than if the files are on my HDD but it's still fairly quick. It writes the tags on a full 16 GB card for me in ~8 minutes. After that full rewrite all you should ever have to do is new files. A typical album can be updated in ~ 10 seconds or less.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 PM

I accidentally connected my sansa without booting to the OF. And.. it worked.. the device is recognized. Meaning i dont have to use that stupid OF.
But the last time i read, there are problems connecting usb with RB fw. Is this safe?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Administrator

It's safe enough for me to use almost exclusively. I only use Rockbox for USB unless I'm checking something about the OF. I think of it as, if it works, it works. If it doesn't, there's not much that can be done.

The only thing I've ever found makes a difference is which theme I use. Some of them can cause USB transfer to fail for me. Other people use the same themes and never have problems.