android
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Similar to a Cowon, but cheaper?

Hello wise ones,

Here is my situation. I mainly listen to podcasts and audiobooks and have been using Cowon devices since the iAudio6. The main reason I have stuck with them is that I still use mypodder software, transferring it from my old players to my new ones since it no longer comes preloaded. I travel a lot and like to be able to download my podcasts easily from anywhere. For those of you unfirmiliar with it, mypodder is an aggregator that lives on your player rather than on a computer. In this case the player acts like a removable drive and the pogram runs from it. The software hasn't been updated since about 2007, but it still works perfect for me.

I am looking for a player that I can add mypodder to easily (I can drag and drop it to my new Cowons with no problem), but with less expense. Since my twins were born last year we are a bit short on cash! I don't need anything fancy except the ability to use mypodder and to be able to drag and drop files rather than syncing.

Alternately I guess I could live with a podcast aggregator that has an online format-meaning there is nothing to download to the computer itself. I don't know if such a thing even exists, I haven't had much luck finding it.

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like you might want a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip. When the player's USB mode is set to MSC mode, the player is just like an external drive/thumbdrive when attached to your computer. I don't use mypodder but I assume that you can drag and drop it onto the Clip player and run it from there, just as you do on your Cowon player. And you can't beat the price of the player, nor its great features!

Currently-running great deals: at dealfisher.com, a 4GB black manufacturer-refurbished Clip Zip or Clip+ for $21.99 and 18.99--and that includes shipping. Way cool deals.

http://www.dealfisher.com/product/Sa...r-(Black).html

Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 PM

How about a galaxy player since it has WiFi and you can use one of the many podcast apps on android to download and listen to podcasts?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

Mikerman nailed it dead on imo. The players and vendor he suggested are both reliable in my experience. The players are manufacturer refurbs that can't be told from new. I have bought dozens of manufacturer refurbs across the years and not a single one has given me a problem I didn't cause by doing something silly.

The two orders I put in with dealfisher arrived almost as fast if they were expressed shipped. I've had other outfits that used free shipping as a reason to drag their feet so I was a bit surprised how quick I got my merchandise.

I run software from mine on a regular basis. I carry several Portable Apps and they all run as well as if they were installed on my local HDD. Like mypodder they're optimized to run from a portable drive like a Clip set to MSC mode.

The Clips very reliably resume playback from any file that's in the Audiobook and Podcast folders. You don't say if you need multiple bookmarks per file. The Clip only gives a single resume point per file but it locks that in solidly with no need to do anything but be sure it's in the right folder.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Welcome to ABi

Mikerman nailed it dead on imo. The players and vendor he suggested are both reliable in my experience. The players are manufacturer refurbs that can't be told from new. I have bought dozens of manufacturer refurbs across the years and not a single one has given me a problem I didn't cause by doing something silly.

The two orders I put in with dealfisher arrived almost as fast if they were expressed shipped. I've had other outfits that used free shipping as a reason to drag their feet so I was a bit surprised how quick I got my merchandise.

I run software from mine on a regular basis. I carry several Portable Apps and they all run as well as if they were installed on my local HDD. Like mypodder they're optimized to run from a portable drive like a Clip set to MSC mode.

The Clips very reliably resume playback from any file that's in the Audiobook and Podcast folders. You don't say if you need multiple bookmarks per file. The Clip only gives a single resume point per file but it locks that in solidly with no need to do anything but be sure it's in the right folder.
or you could use rockbox which will create a single bookmark per file but the bookmark is just a text file with timestamps of updates. So that the single bookmark looks like many when actually using rockbox. Rockbox can be unstable though so maybe put the portable apps on the sd card and buy a cheap card reader you can carry on your keychain

Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Administrator

The reason I didn't recommend Rockbox is I've raised kids. JanKan has twins that just came into the family last year and they're already familiar with mypodder. There's enough other things to do without adding figuring out how to get Rockbox working and possibly learning how to setup new software. Especially when there's a firmware available that's considered among the best when it comes to podcasts that only require a single resume point per file. Rockbox is there if you need more but if you don't the sandisk firmware gets the job done with minimal effort.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Sure but the you deal with waiting for a refresh everytime you add podcasts. And it takes less than 5 minutes to install. Not to mention super fine grain speed controls for listening to podcasts quicker. Id still reccomend a android or ipod touch for podcasts though seeing how you can download podcasts directly without the computer middleman.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I will check out the clip since it is the least expensive and probably has the fastest learning curve (skip252 is right, less is better for me right now!)

Old 10-31-2013, 01:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The reason I didn't recommend Rockbox is I've raised kids. JanKan has twins that just came into the family last year and they're already familiar with mypodder. There's enough other things to do without adding figuring out how to get Rockbox working and possibly learning how to setup new software. Especially when there's a firmware available that's considered among the best when it comes to podcasts that only require a single resume point per file. Rockbox is there if you need more but if you don't the sandisk firmware gets the job done with minimal effort.
As a father of two I wouldn't be fearful of RB (Rockbox). I think i browsed the manual once and everything else was intuitive, skip exaggerates imo.

I usually listen to my Cowon players but yesterday I dusted off the clizpzip as I was preparing it for a friend to try out. You know what? I found the original sansa firmware more confusing... as it had been over a year or so I found RB more user friendly and straight forward. Just don't go tinkering with menu items you don't understand and u'll be fine.
Also RB sound quality was immediately better to my ears, I tweaked the bass up ever so slightly and loved what I was hearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
Sure but the you deal with waiting for a refresh everytime you add podcasts. And it takes less than 5 minutes to install. Not to mention super fine grain speed controls for listening to podcasts quicker. Id still reccomend a android or ipod touch for podcasts though seeing how you can download podcasts directly without the computer middleman.
^ This. Even after i put just 10 songs on the player I was getting pissed off with the dumb sansa firmware refresh library... really 2 mins for 10 songs wtf?! I went into RB updated library, bam done in 3 secs.
The refresh library is a joke on OF, its reason enough to go RB above everything else.

Tags
aggregate, cowon, mypodder, podcast