android
Old 10-24-2013, 02:04 AM

Smile upgrading ipod's storage up to 100gb+

i've read somewhere before that some owners upgrade their ipod video's storage up to 100gb+. some, went up to 250gb. my question is, how can we do that? what's the best ipod to use? i'm not really familiar with these things since i only have an ipod touch and a sansa clip+.

i'd buy an ipod classic 7th gen or a cowon x7 but they're too pricey for me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You can only upgrade an ipod classic.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
You can only upgrade an ipod classic.
You can put a larger hard drive in almost any iPod. The monochrome models, the picture, iPod video, iPod mini (even though it's a compact flash card of an SD card via adapter), or the classic. I've done the upgrade on all these models before - I would know.

To see more about how to physically do the HDD upgrade do a search on YouTube - there's numerous instructional videos on how to do it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
You can put a larger hard drive in almost any iPod. The monochrome models, the picture, iPod video, iPod mini (even though it's a compact flash card of an SD card via adapter), or the classic. I've done the upgrade on all these models before - I would know.
By classic I mean the line of ipods with hard drives as per the OP's nomenclature.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
By classic I mean the line of ipods with hard drives as per the OP's nomenclature.
Then the terminology is incorrect. The classic is only the last few HDD based models. All the HDD models are upgradeable, and these include the coveted iPod video & iPod photo. The OP is requesting information on the models PRIOR to the classic. The classic is out of his/her price range.

PS: I can see where the confusion is coming from, as the wiki lists the 1st thru 5th generations as iPod classics. It's simply a blanket statement, as quite a few knowledgeable iPod owners feel the "classic" name belongs to the 6+ generation models. I feel it's 6+,...

Last edited by The DarkSide; 10-24-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Then the terminology is incorrect. The classic is only the last few HDD based models. All the HDD models are upgradeable, and these include the coveted iPod video & iPod photo. The OP is requesting information on the models PRIOR to the classic. The classic is out of his/her price range.

PS: I can see where the confusion is coming from, as the wiki lists the 1st thru 5th generations as iPod classics. It's simply a blanket statement, as quite a few knowledgeable iPod owners feel the "classic" name belongs to the 6+ generation models. I feel it's 6+,...
Indeed, the Apple support pages refer to only gen 6 and later as "Classic".

Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
ok according to google, best one to use is the ipod video 5.5g 80gb. what do you think is the best 200gb+ hdd to use?

edit:

after watching this vid

seems like i have to buy this kit?

Last edited by awe; 10-27-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

All you need to do is find a nice iPod video 5.5G and a compatible 1.5" hdd. There are no special tools needed, except a small set of eyeglass screwdrivers.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Apple's naming is really confusing, and usually I just say the version number (ie 5.5G). But if the OP is going to call hard disk ipods the classic I'm not going to tell him hes wrong.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

To clarify, there was never a 7th generation iPod classic. The latest HD player in the iPod line is termed as the iPod Classic 6th gen 2nd revision

Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Apple's naming is really confusing, and usually I just say the version number (ie 5.5G). But if the OP is going to call hard disk ipods the classic I'm not going to tell him hes wrong.
OK, reread the first post. He/she asked about an ''iPod video'' upgrade (which iPod is the best to get). Then further on stated the ''iPod classic 7th gen'' is too expensive. The op is now asking about possible HDD upgrade options for the 5.5G iPod video. Can we now move on? Especially since the op DIDN'T call all HDD models classics - you did. Or are we going to begin another verbal game of tag?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

LOL, Darkside is correct, Saratoga, now fess up.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM

If thats not what he meant, my bad. Either way, I think it was pretty clear what i meant.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@awe: a search of eBay has come up with some interesting stuff: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ipod-240gb

I'd personally go and buy a modded classic w/a 240gb HDD already installed. It'll cost around the same to do it yourself,...

Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
@awe: a search of eBay has come up with some interesting stuff: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ipod-240gb

I'd personally go and buy a modded classic w/a 240gb HDD already installed. It'll cost around the same to do it yourself,...
lol it costs more than an ipod classic http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipod/ipod-classic

p.s. just realized this forum is anything but ipod yet i'm talking about ipod stuff. i hope you guys don't mind.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Administrator

You've said a couple of times you're on a limited budget. Putting a dollar figure on your search would help others know what might work for you. No sense getting suggestions that you won't fit your budget.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup!!! Give us a ballpark dollar figure & we can work from there.

As for iPod's, most of us own at least one nowadays - and you can RockBox most of the hdd models. All good!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM

thanks, darkside.

budget is $200 below.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's an eBay search: http://www.ebay.com/sch/iPods-MP3-Pl...h%20generation

If you'd like to search on your own just type in "iPod video 5th Generation" or ''iPod video 5.5G''.

The average cost is between $100-$200, and the HDD size starts @80gb. If the HDD is smaller it's not a 5.5G, it's a 5G - pass on it. You want to the upgrade to that generation.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM

thanks so much, man. appreciated it.