android
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 AM

Default Good android music player app

So I am trying to switch to Samsung Glaxy S (with Voodoo) as main music player, but i can't really find any suitable player app, any recommendations?

I know there is Rockbox app but i can't say i really like it on touch screen, so any other good apps?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Administrator

You would need to say what you expect from an app. There's so many differences in audio processing capabilities, library capabilities, interfaces, widgets, lock screens and the like it's not really possible to say which one is best.

Quite a few of the better ones have free versions. Those are usually time or feature limited. There's some that are full featured and unlimited but you need to pay to kill the ads. I'd try, Poweramp, GoneMad Music Player, PlayerPro, JetAudio and Winamp to get started.

That list is in order of my preferences which I'll admit are far from universal. I know a couple of people that thought I was crazy paying the few bucks to unlock Poweramp and GoneMad. For them the free version of Jetaudio did everything they wanted and they were willing to live with the ads. I liked them enough for my oddball uses that I waited until they went on sale and got them both for less than $5.

I think that money spent to deal with my music exactly the way I prefer is well spent. Not only that I believe that developers that have put in that level of work should be rewarded for their efforts.

I've found it best for me to give myself time with the ones that are time limited, full featured trials. There can be features and/or performance issues that can be missed if you're trying several at once.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:42 AM

I use Poweramp and have never felt the need to even try any others, it does exactly what I want.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 09-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, PowerAmp is the one for me as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 AM

I used to use Poweramp but have now deleted it (paid version),

I just use Google Play Music now since I don't store any music on my devices beyond 1Gb or so. It lets you use the EQ settings of your device.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Yup, PowerAmp is the one for me as well.
+1

Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 AM

I currently use Fusion player player and really like it. The free version has pretty much every feature you could ever want in a music player including ability to delete now playing songs.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You would need to say what you expect from an app. There's so many differences in audio processing capabilities, library capabilities, interfaces, widgets, lock screens and the like it's not really possible to say which one is best.
To be honest stock player included in SGS is pretty good, but i don't like the way you browse by folders, instead of something like this:

for example

Speedy J > (1993) Ginger > 01. Ginger
02. Fill 4
03. Beam Me Up!

You get

(1993) album
(1994) album
(1995) album
(1996) album

it's pretty annoying, if only the stock player would have gape less playback as well, it would be a perfect player for me

This is a player with perfect folder browsing capabilities but unfortunately it doesn't support gape less

Hiki Player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kiplayer&hl=pl

Last edited by breakbeat; 09-15-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp allows browsing by both folder & tags.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I like Google Music as well, but I'm not sure how good it is on older Android versions (I guess Gingerbread on that phone).

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM

I use Rocket Player, it does everything I need!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I like Google Music as well, but I'm not sure how good it is on older Android versions (I guess Gingerbread on that phone).
No, it won't work well on Gingerbread.

The Google Music App used to be quite slow and clunky, but has improved a great deal - whether you're playing your own music or streaming/downloading.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

One of my requirements was to be able to navigate the file system / folders. I have tried a few player apps, including Power Amp and Player Pro, which I used the longest. It's pretty good except for a couple of glitches. Recently started using Omich, and so far it's been the best for my needs.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:11 AM

The best sounding app is Neutron Player. It has improved in the UI (decent now after sucking big time). It can browse folders.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
The best sounding app is Neutron Player. It has improved in the UI (decent now after sucking big time). It can browse folders.
How is it "the best sounding"? The UI still sucks, as far as I'm concerned. But they claim to support a lot more file formats than the player I use and a few others I tried, which is nice.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergivs View Post
How is it "the best sounding"? The UI still sucks, as far as I'm concerned. But they claim to support a lot more file formats than the player I use and a few others I tried, which is nice.
It has better resolution. I tried poweramp and some others and they are decent but not quite as good sounding. The UI has improved a lot but still not quite as good as poweramp and some others. I hate the eq (wish it was easier to manipulate). I also wish they have a bass setting instead of trying to eq it yourself.

Android rockbox sounds good too. But it has some quirks. For high resolution screens the 480x640 seems to work the best.

But guess what. I found a much better sounding player than them all.
The Sony Walkman app. You must root your phone to be able to install it though. It has clear bass and nice eq. It sounds a lot better than even neutron player (hard to believe). Maybe it's the eq setting that makes me think this way.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM

I use the Amazon MP3 app on my tablet. Haven't tried it on my phone.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
It has better resolution.
No it doesn't. Everything on Android has the same resolution.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp has the same ''resolution'', and the UI isn't garbage. All those audiophile apps are BS. The only app that would sound different, through proprietary means, is a BBE app. All others sound the same, but are just packaged differently.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 AM

Poweramp is gorgeous, has lockscreen controls,easy to use interface, and responds to volume buttons for switching tracks. Can't ask for much else in a music app.