android
Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Default MTS/MSC mixup on Clip Zip

I've been having a lot of problems lately with my Rockboxed Clip Zip when connecting to USB. Lots of crashes, either when connecting or disconnecting from USB in Rockbox. So I wanted to see if going back to using the original Sandisk firmware for charging and loading music would be best.

So the scenario is this: I had a Rockboxed 4GB Clip Zip with a 32GB card that was nearly full of music. I booted into the OF, then connected it to USB. I could see the Zip in Windows Explorer, but no files, so figured it must be in MTS mode. In the OF settings I switched it to MSC.

Then I booted it into Rockbox and now I see no files on either the drive mounted from the Clip Zip's internal storage or the microSD card. I don't see anything at all - no Rockbox directories, no music, nothing. Also, Windows will not let me format the microSD card/drive.

What would be the best way to proceed from here to restore file access again? Preserving the music on the card is of no concern. I'll just reload it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Sounds like either severe file corruption problems or a hardware failure. Neither gives much hope for your Clip Zip.

If it's file corruption and you can't access the disk to fix it I don't know of anything you can do. I only format a disk as a last resort. Before I do that I try the built in disk checker in the Windows disk properties menu or "chkdsk/f" from the command line. If both of those fail to complete it's usually a hardware failure.

If the hardware is failing the situation really bad in my experience. There's no way to fix one I know. If an RMA is possible you may want to give that a shot.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Nah. Mostly, it works just fine, except for Rockbox's broken USB handling. I can browse the database and browse the file system in Rockbox, play music in either the OF or Rockbox. Just can't see anything in Explorer. If there's any kind of hardware issue, it would have to be with USB, but USB works fine in the OF.

Now that I look at it again, I think that it's crashing part way into being mounted in Rockbox. Right now I'm connected and in Explorer I see a drive labeled "Removable Disk", but no drive for the microSD. Explorer just gives me a spinny when I try to browse that drive. On the Zip I have the screen showing the USB plug, but it never displays the % charge level, as it does when it connects successfully.

Edit: The drive for the microSD card finally showed in Explorer, but I can't browse it either.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I was under the impression that you were using the OF to view the player in Explorer. If the OF is working that's what I'd use. The last few times I've seen someone with a USB problem that's what the Rockbox developers have suggested.

USB can be buggy for some in Rockbox, especially on the CZ. It's listed among the known issues. USB locks up on me when I use certain themes. Others run the same themes and have rock solid USB support. As long as I don't use those themes my CZ connect reliably every time with Windows, Linux and Macs. I prefer a reliable connection to eye candy so I don't use the themes I know gives me USB problems.

I've had file corruption issues when it's locked up during file transfer so that may be part of your problem. I'd check the disk for errors and fix any if they're found. It may help and sure can't hurt.