android
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Default nwz-s764bt usb charger compatibility

Hi guys,
i need to charge my brand sony walkman nwz-s764bt whitout pc, can i recharge it with the original iphone usb adapter? This works with 5v and 1000a output,(sony original adapter works with 5v and 800a output, but i won't buy it!).
Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It will work just fine.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 PM

If you want more information regarding USB charging, check out the ABi USB Charging Guide here - http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/usb-charging-guide/

Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the answears guys.
In the article posted by xtr95 is said that the different amperage than that required for the device does not create any problem, only a difference in charging rate. I hope, however, that the higher amperage adapter apple in the long term will not damage the battery of sony walkman. What do you think?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Administrator

As long as the charger is supplying the USB standard 5 volts, no more, it shouldn't affect the longevity of the player. The point that's made in the article is that the device takes only what it needs and higher output amperage won't make a difference. My devices have lasted much longer than I ever expected following that advice using a wide variety of USB chargers.

IIRC some of the newer Sonys even have a setting that will limit the battery charge to 90%. That avoids the heating that occurs during the last 10% of the charge cycle that's said to cause the most wear on lithium batteries.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 AM

Yes, you're right skip252, there's a "Battery Care" feature in the Walkmans that limit the charging to 90% to increase battery longevity.

brigante, I currently use a Sony Ericsson USB AC charger that came with my phone, it charges my Walkman and other portables perfectly.

Last edited by XTR95; 10-16-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:37 AM

Well, the apple usb adapter seems to work. In other forums I read that the sony walkman limited the use of non-original sony usb adapters, however does not seem to be so, at least for the model in my possession.
Yes, my mp3 player has a function called "battery care" that limits the recharge to 90% in order to preserve the battery. I hope to allow my walkman to live for a long time!
However, I am very happy with the purchase: sony walkman nwz s series has a beautiful design, excellent sound quality, good battery operating time.
Thanks guys, your answers have been really helpful!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Sony used to force you to use their proprietary software. I hadn't heard about the need to use their proprietary charging hardware but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

Fortunately they've come to their senses and cut out that silliness. Sonic Stage has been dead for years and every Sony I've had across the last 4 years happily charges with any USB charger that supplies the standard 5 volts I've connected.

Tags
apple, battery, iphone, nwz-s764, usb adapter