android
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 AM

Default question on shure se215

hello all, this is my first post on ABI but i have learned quite since i have been reading the posts.....

im not in any way an audiophile (not there yet) but i enjoy listening to good high quality music.

i have a question on my recently bought shure se215, i was really eyeing a klipsch s4 but stumbled upon the shures for a really good deal.

before i ask the question, pls take note that i have other headphones too, i dont know if this would influence how i look at the shures, my other headphones are: HD25-1 ii, philips downtown and senn px-100ii i. my DAP is a sansa clip zip BTW

my questions are these:

1. i noticed that the highs on the shure are somewhat "dull" and lack sparkle or brilliance. the mids or voice of the singer is somewhat not foreward enough, am i right in my observation?

2. do the shures need burn in period? or is burn in period true? if yes how long should i burn in the shures and how do i do it correctly?

3. I tried to correct the highs by using the eq and played with the freq from 1k to 16k increased them in a slope .5 to 2.5 respectively and i feel that the highs are somewhat closer to the sound of my HD25. is what i do correct?

4. Or, should i just sell the se215 and buy some iem with the sound signature i like?

thanks in advance for any advise that you can give..

BTW, as a complement, i find that ABI as one of the sites that give honest advise... many thanks

bino77

Last edited by bino77; 10-14-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM

They do need a fair amount of time to burn in. Mine started sounding amazing after maybe a month of regular usage. At first I thought they were not worth the price, but now I feel like these are one of the best purchases I have made.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip_blast View Post
They do need a fair amount of time to burn in. Mine started sounding amazing after maybe a month of regular usage. At first I thought they were not worth the price, but now I feel like these are one of the best purchases I have made.
what changes to the sound did you notice? did the highs become clearer and and have more sparkle?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's funny that you mention those characteristics--with my earlier Shure E2Cs, and while they were a good deal, the sound was a trifle muffled as if coming through some layers of fabric, missing some sparkle and clarity that I like to hear.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM

Has EQing solved this problem? Anybody?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bino77 View Post
Has EQing solved this problem? Anybody?
Personally, I just took it as the nature of the phones and accepted it as a given . . . . EQs for me rarely work and typically sound as if the sound has been puttered with, one way or another. Sometimes nice as a change, but then I go back to a flat/normal EQ.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM

Yup. That's what I think too. I rarely tinker with eq's.... its like changing the character of the headphones for what it is

Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM

A different point of view: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...phone-response.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Administrator

I find if equalization is done to compensate for imbalances in frequency response that are part of every headphone I've ever had it can deal with a number of issues. That type of equalization can't be done by creating a sound effect like most presets provide.

I spend time listening to a series of test tones and getting the volume levels across the the board equalized. Once I've done that I find it works well for me. When I just use a preset or tweak it up to suit a mood it sounds artificial after a while.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I find if equalization is done to compensate for imbalances in frequency response that are part of every headphone I've ever had it can deal with a number of issues. That type of equalization can't be done by creating a sound effect like most presets provide.

I spend time listening to a series of test tones and getting the volume levels across the the board equalized. Once I've done that I find it works well for me. When I just use a preset or tweak it up to suit a mood it sounds artificial after a while.
So correct me if I'm wrong, you correct the imbalances in the headphone not according to the sound you want but according to the sound it lacks? Then by doing that you stay true to the sound signature of the headphones but sort of more "corrected" thru EQing?