android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Anyone heard this Creative HD Airwave?

http://en.europe.creative.com/p/spea...ive-airwave-hd

Having owned a few creative aptx speakers I am generally satisfied, but I would like a portable battery powered one such as this. My experience tho (with portable ones) is that they lack the necessary 'pow' that you need from ac to properly drive, therefore all the ones I have listened to sound too tiny.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You DO KNOW u'r title sux,...

Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

haha yeh u think after 1000 posts I would do better lmao.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Haven't hear the Airwave HD myself, though I'd love to read your impressions. The only portable Bluetooth speaker I've listened to that truly impresses me with its "pow" is the Bose SoundLink Mini. I'm rarely shocked by audio gear, and generally vastly skeptical of the hollow marketing behemoth that is Bose, but this one really got me. Whatever digital signal processing it subjects the music to in order to make it sound so full-yet-natural from such a compact frame is quite special (as in, it actually avoids the common DSP pitfall of degrading the music in an attempt to make it "bigger"). This is in contrast to the other portable speakers in my stable -- the TDK A33, G-Project G-BOOM, soundmatters foxL v2 Platinum Edition, Soundfreaq Sound Kick, and JBL Charge -- all of which have their sonic merits (and many of which are bargains for the sound they produce within their price brackets) but fall to the SoundLink Mini overall.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Which out of these is the one you are referring to?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Which out of these is the one you are referring to?
I'm not sure I understand. That page is for the SoundLink Mini exclusively, so you've already found it. To be clear, the Mini is the one that looks like this:

I know the larger, older SoundLink II model is also considered by many to be among the best-sounding portable Bluetooth speakers available, but for some reason I've been less impressed by it during my (in-store) auditions. I guess the bass seems too artificially boosted and intrusive of the other frequencies on that one, and the overall sound less clear. It also fails to incite in me the sort of "big sound/tiny size" double-takes that the Mini produces. And it's stupidly expensive.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes my bad, I meant to send this link. I'll have to see if I can hear one, tho they do offer a 21 day risk free trial.
No mentioning of apt-x anywhere tho... in my experience that's what makes the biggest difference.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think we should call you Bluetooth Bruce.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hahahahaha

Well BT works pretty well for my current home setup. I have a D5 in my bathroom and a S2 on my veranda, two apt-x usb dongles in a usb dock connected to pc (where most my music is played from). Push button to activate corresponding usb dongle to push sound to right room.
It's not perfect, in some situations I had to run speaker wire under the house to other speakers in the home (kitchen speakers) due to kids running around the house and 'interrupting' the signal when it was carrying bluetooth. I have since learned that BT has it's drawbacks, you want little or no traffic going between transmitter and receiver etc.

What I'm lacking is a portable BT speaker that I can take to a bedroom or rear veranda etc, but so far all the units I've ever tried have sounded too tiny. I do have a 40% discount code with Logitech, was considering the Boombox also.
Actually the speaker might not even require BT, just an aux in, but most portable speakers seem to come with BT as standard so might as well have it I guess.

My car stereo is also rubbish, and the car is rubbish, instead of upgrading the sound system I was thinking perhaps just use the portable one from home etc when i want music in the car etc. But this time if I buy portable I want something with a little more pow.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yes my bad, I meant to send this link. I'll have to see if I can hear one, tho they do offer a 21 day risk free trial.
No mentioning of apt-x anywhere tho... in my experience that's what makes the biggest difference.
Gotcha. I tend to think aptX has less of a benefit with these tiny speakers (my SoundLink Mini sans aptX sounds definitively better to me than my aptX-enabled foxL v2 Platinum, for instance). As good as the sound reproduction technology has gotten with these uber-small noise makers, I think their primary limitations are still related to their size.

I'd be curious, if you can get your hands on a Creative HD Airwave with a solid return policy, how you'd find it stacks up to the non-aptX-capable SoundLink Mini.

Quote:
What I'm lacking is a portable BT speaker that I can take to a bedroom or rear veranda etc, but so far all the units I've ever tried have sounded too tiny. I do have a 40% discount code with Logitech, was considering the Boombox also.
Actually the speaker might not even require BT, just an aux in, but most portable speakers seem to come with BT as standard so might as well have it I guess.
I've read some very favorable things about the Logitech UE Boombox, and given its much larger footprint, I imagine it would best the SoundLink Mini in both "pow" and overall sound quality. I never considered it myself, as the G-Project G-BOOM is as big as I've been willing to go with portability-minded speakers like this. When you say all the units you've tried have sounded too tiny, which units are you speaking of?

Also, it's funny that you mention aux-in probably being enough. That's how I tend to do most of my listening with these devices...my tiny Clip+ wired with a 1 foot aux cable to the tiny speaker system. It's easy enough to grab both the player and the speaker in one hand whenever I change rooms.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just been reading about the BoomBox, seems well received, prolly will get that (and use my 40% Logitech code up before xmas), would come to $180AUD for it, pretty sweet deal.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cool. Let us know what you think when you get it!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Passed a shop that had it on display today, ready for me to test with a DAP or phone, but did Bruce bring a phone or DAP with him?...

Will go another day

Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I went today and took my i9+ and hooked it up to the Boombox, suffice to say I wasn't impressed. The 3.5mm jack tho was going into the desk and out the other side (special desk), there was a switch to direct the 3.5mm jack to different speakers, so it's running through sumthing (ie was not direct), this might account for some loss in soundquality, for sure the loudness was unimpressive and I have a feeling the amp going between was the culprit.

I couldn't go bluetooth directly but might chuck some tunes on my Nokia 808 (which has BT) just to see as it sounded so bad I can't believe that was as good as it got. I will also provide my own 3.5mm male to male cable and make a direct connection, see if its better.

I used Storm 3000 by leftfield as a test, set i9+ to normal (ie asolutely no DSP), the bass was distorting at seemingly low levels. I had the i9+ cranked to 35/40 and the Boombox at full volume, it really wasn't loud at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the amp its running through is lowering the volume and messing with it all...

From a device like this, my i9+ at full and boombox at full I would expect heads to be turning instore (from sheer volume alone), this was most definately not the case. Storm 3000 as a track has fairly strong mid bass, if its distorting here...

Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I went today and tested the UE Boombox through bluetooth (Galaxy Note 2) via Poweramp, was really unimpressed. I tinkered with the bass nob to see where distortion occurs and it was happening at seemingly very low volume levels and little emphasis on bass at all...
It can go loud but u will practically have to turn bass right off for it not to distort, $299AUD! Pfft! I wouldn't even pay $100 for it... seriously. Creatives D5 shits all over it (but of course that isn't portable per se, it's just about the same price/size).

Still looking...

I wonder what the TDK Boombox sounds like?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the Bluetooth TDK Boombox, the A73 or whatever, has only 2 speakers and is rechargable and I have to say the bluetooth is abysmal. You can find lots of people complaining about it. The sound is great, but the darn thing constantly drops the bluetooth connection. I don't know what causes it and I've completely forgotten about it. I mostly use this thing as a radio and secondly as a Line input device. For Bluetooth I actually have a dongle strapped onto the handle because it's completely unreliable otherwise.

I was fully aware of the bluetooth problems, and you can actually get the a73's for cheap . I ordered mine from america, and with freight and tax it was still way over half the cost of the thing in Finland, and well under any other portable speaker system with decent sound. I do really like the sound, it's beefy but probably muddy to any purists tastes, still it fills an open space with good sound and the battery works for a good while. It's nothing I'd use in place of a dedicated sound system but it's easier to handle then a kaboom and great for having decent sound in any room, boat or other location you probably don't have a built in sound system or possibly even power connections.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting. So the A73 has two speakers, this picture I posted above has 3, I wonder if its significantly better, or that it drops Bluetooth less often...
My experience with Bluetooth is it doesn't like walking traffic between transmitter and receiver. I have had to change my positioning of the transmitter and speakers so that they won't be affected by little people walking about etc. Would this account for the drop outs? I'm guessing not if as you say you have relied on a seperate Bluetooth module transmitter instead.
Where did you buy yer one from America might I ask?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM

I can relate to what you are going through Bruce, I went through a lot of search to find a BT speaker I liked and felt had a good sound.

I considered the Boombox, like you but few tests I did on it did not convince me. Same for the Bose Soundlink, too expensive for the sound quality.

Then we had the Boombox 360 and the Soundlink Mini that came out. I liked both but while the 360 left me with a "meh" feeling, the Mini on the other hand impressed me that such sound came out of such a tiny package.

So, I went for it and ordered it for my birthday. It arrived on the 29th and I tested it out a good bunch. Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. This little device (and yes, it is little, check the photo below) has a really impressive sound and nice bass too.

At one point though I thought there was a problem with it as my music had a his in it, but I then isolated it to the BT of my J3 which is sub-par and at fault.

So yeah, to quote epithetless, give the Soundlink Mini a try, you can always return it within 21 days if you are not satisfied.

Last edited by RedlanceEQ; 11-04-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have seen the Bose Mini in stores, not to try but to just see its physical size etc, I just assumed seeing as summin like the UE Boombox (which is far larger and heavier) was poor then there is no way this could be good...
I'll give it a whirl tho..

Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I have seen the Bose Mini in stores, not to try but to just see its physical size etc, I just assumed seeing as summin like the UE Boombox (which is far larger and heavier) was poor then there is no way this could be good...
I'll give it a whirl tho..
I know, I was also skeptical until I tried it in a store, then both me and my wife were like "no way, that little thing pumps out that good sound?". Did more testing before buying it, and with other speakers, but it is definitely one to try.