android
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Default Zip Clip Won't Mount in RB

After I installed some of the first builds manually i had to start in OF to get it to mount on OS X and move files. Then one of the updates (installed manually) allowed me to mount in RB, and it mounted the SD! Yo!

I should have left it there...but used the GUI installer to update, and now I can't mount in Finder without starting in the OF. When I try to mount in RB, the screen shows the USB plug icon, but it doesn't mount. If I use a USB charger it doesn't show the icon and will play while charging. Player works perfectly otherwise.

Is this a bug or a feature? Was I living a charmed life before? Is there a way to return to everything mounting in RB? That was a lot easier to sync...

Thank you devs for everything you've done, this is kinda minor, but I'd love to resolve it and am happy to experiment with manual installs if that will help others as well as myself.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

It's a known issue that USB doesn't work as well for some on the Clip Zip. For me certain themes and not safely disconnecting stop USB from operating until I check the disk for errors, correct them and change to a theme that works in my case. As long as I don't use those themes and safely disconnect mine connects reliably.

It's a YMMV situation as other use the same builds and yank the cable as soon as transfer finish with no problems. Others can't connect at all unless they use the OF. It's just one of those things the developers have never figured out how to fix.

It's doubtful the installation method has anything to do with your problem. Results using the automated installer or a manual installation are the same as long as the same bootloader and build used during the installation.

You can try checking the disk for file problems. As certain themes can cause problems I'd also try changing to the default CabbieV2 theme and see if that helps. There's no guarantee that any of that will help. The problem seems to be non-deterministic so there's no set of directions that are known to fix connection problems across the board.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Thank you for giving me some things to try. I tried several themes including the original and none changed the issue. I tried the dfkt build and no mount.

Tried mounting it in virtuals of Ubuntu and XP, on Ubuntu Parallels very briefly popped the dialogue for choosing which OS to connect to, then it vaporised without me making a choice and showed up in neither. Neither OS mounted it while in RB.

Tried getting the Sansa Updater to look at it in XP, it said so updates were available, from reading it's a dicey thing to try anyway, but thought perhaps it would offer to repair it.

Tried running OS X Disk Utility while in OF, it didn't give me an error, but didn't read anything out either, just stopped.

What is a method to try to fix errors on this disk, please? Not terribly conversant in them but have the other OS's available if that would help.

I can get around it, but that damned updating my files scanner thing takes a long time in the OF. And if I could help find the root cause it would help others and pay a little back to you all.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Administrator

I said
Quote:
until I check the disk for errors, correct them and change to a theme that works in my case.
in that order because if there's disk problems changing the theme won't make a difference. Once the disk problems are fixed changing the theme avoids having more issues on the disk.

Checking for disk problems is done with either the built in error checking facility under the Properties=>Tools menu you find when viewing a disk or "chkdsk" in Windows. You can check a disk using "fsck.vfat" in Linux. I've found Windows does a better job for me but once again YMMV.

The sansa Updater is a useless, buggy POS. All it does is eat up processing cycles looking for firmware updates that will probably never occur. When there have been updates it usually failed to install them. If it did actually install the sansa firmware it would remove the Rockbox bootloader so there's nothing it will ever help with a Rockbox problem. If you have it installed anywhere I'd remove it.

There's a couple of ways to get around the OF database refresh. You can simply hold the power button until it shuts off. When you boot again the Rockbox bootloader calls Rockbox first. Rockbox then boots and you don't have to deal with the database refresh. Some people have expressed concern over possible file corruption but I've done it hundreds of times with no problems.

The other is to take advantage of how Rockbox is able to view all files and folders on a disk. You follow the directions Progweed posted here. Those directions are for the Fuze. The amount of space to leave varies by device. I never needed to do that on a Clip Zip so I'm not sure what it would be.

Rockbox does need a little working space so you don't want to fill the disk completely. On a Fuze I found if I left ~12 MB that was enough to let the Rockbox database refresh. You'll probably need to experiment to find what works on a Clip Zip.

Not being a developer I can't say if USB connectivity will ever be reliable for everyone. I can say the problem has been around for years. I think a breakthrough that fixes it in every case is possible but there's no way to say if or when that might occur.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM

Thank you for the instructions.

I ran the Windows disk checker twice, no error messages popped up, it was set to repair issues. Then tried CabbieV2, still no mount in RB.

Deleted the Sansa Updater, it had never worked anyway, and was on a VM I rarely use except for when I need Windows for something.

At this point I'll just plug the SD card in to update music, easier.

Appreciate all the help and knowledge. If I find something I'll post back. But I'm no dev, lucky to tie my shoes right.