android
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Is an Sansa E260 worth getting used for $30?

Well I need to get an MP3/MP4 player. I'm looking at the E260 on a local "craigslist type site" and its $30. Is it worth getting for that price, is the E260 still good? I cant find any new Sandisk stuff where I live like a new clip+ or whatever. Its the 4GB version of the e260

Thanks fellas. Also does it support Rockbox?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM

Depending on its physical condition, I'd say it's worth it. The e260 was the 1st player I ever owned, and I still have it (and it still works great) today. They're getting harder to find these days, but it has a user-replaceable battery to keep it going for a long time.

Built like the proverbial Sherman tank, it also has a large and bright screen. You can even watch movies or TV shows on it if you've got the persistence to convert the videos to the right format (not an easy or quick task).

And yes, Rockbox works on it as well and you'll find a plethora of custom themes for this model. 30 bucks isn't a bad investment for this player, provided it isn't all scratched and/or dented up.

Note there are 2 different hardware versions of this model. A v1 will only read up to 2GB cards unless you install Rockbox. A v2 will read anything up to a 32 GB card, however there is a rather small database limitation on these older players. If I remember correctly, it's somewhere around 2000 tracks. I personally have over 3200 on one of mine (with a 16GB card) but I know many are not getting played when in shuffle mode. Again, Rockbox will overcome this.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Hey man, thanks for replying. Iu ploaded a couple of pics from the ad

Here: http://imgur.com/a/Hd2sQ

My only concern now is if its v1 and v2, and if it has any problems like the headphone jack. The guy has about 40 previous transcations and he didnt mention anything is wrong in the description, so everything might just be right!

Thanks btw

Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Great description Tapeworm, I still own my 260 Modovich and if itís in good condition itís worth it. Besides you could offer lower, hehe. BTW mines been Rockboxed since the day they released the build and itís great because you can boot to either firmware although I donít use the Sansa firmware my wife does when she uses it.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modovich View Post

My only concern now is if its v1 and v2, and if it has any problems like the headphone jack. The guy has about 40 previous transcations and he didnt mention anything is wrong in the description, so everything might just be right!

Thanks btw
If that's the actual unit in those pictures you linked to, it looks in very good shape. Possibly even new, given that the little red sticker tab is still on the HOLD switch.

But you do have a valid concern over the headphone jack; this was the Achilles Heel of this model. But looking at the pictures, personally I'd risk it.

And with Rockbox, the version really doesn't matter that much.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 PM

I just got a brand new E250, sealed box and all, for $37 on ebay. And I've got another used one in decent shape on the way that was just $10.

I don't know anything about these, except they are supposed to be pretty sturdy, they have a card slot and they can do Rockbox. After my sometimes unfulfilling experiences with a Fuze+ it will be nice to finally have a full-size player that isn't super-glitchy all the time.

How is the screen on these? Better/sharper than the original Fuze? Or about the same?

At this point I've got quite the collection of Sansa players: a Fuze, a Fuze+, two Clip+, a Clip Zip, an original Clip, two E250s, a C140, a C250 and an E140 that I love to bits.

I think I may have a problem. LOL

Last edited by Roboturner913; 09-26-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I just got a brand new E250, sealed box and all, for $37 on ebay. And I've got another used one in decent shape on the way that was just $10.

I don't know anything about these, except they are supposed to be pretty sturdy, they have a card slot and they can do Rockbox. After my sometimes unfulfilling experiences with a Fuze+ it will be nice to finally have a full-size player that isn't super-glitchy all the time.

How is the screen on these? Better/sharper than the original Fuze? Or about the same?

At this point I've got quite the collection of Sansa players: a Fuze, a Fuze+, two Clip+, a Clip Zip, an original Clip, two E250s, a C140, a C250 and an E140 that I love to bits.

I think I may have a problem. LOL
I do not think you have a problem

I have 3 original clips
2 clip+
2 clip zips's
1 e260
1 e280
1 fuze 2gb
1 fuze 4 gb in white
1 fuze 8 gb
1 fuze+
1 slot player
and i gave away four sansa's

But i think its a good problem

Old 09-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post

I would think if you already have all these players, you should know what the screen is like.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:56 PM

To elaborate, I hadn't yet received either of the two E250's in the mail when I made the post.

I got one of them today and the screen is much, much sharper than the Fuze.