android
Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
Who owns this web site these days?
The forum is part of the Crowdgather Forum Community (not owned by them though). I'm not very knowledgeable about it but I believe they are responsible for the ads, and we have contacted them about the issue.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep mode zZ View Post
And now it's here again.
Happily, not for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 AM
Samsung Moderator

Here's crowdgather's reply:
Quote:
We try lots of different ad methods. This is just a test and may be temporary.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Here's crowdgather's reply:
It sux,...we all HATE IT!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM

its a java script, so shut off java script in your browser.
no need for 3rd party software.
there are sites i frequent that do this to us, so i know before i get there to turn off java script. its safer anyway.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup, disabling java helps on devices that allow it. It's no longer an issue on my nook HD+ or Nexus 7. And it's ridiculous that it's a requirement to do so on ABi, considering how were all so vocal about disliking the annoying ad bar on the bottom of the page. Thanks a lot for (no) assistance crowdgather.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Thank you 3300! I disabled javascript for this site and the banner is gone. The reply box might be missing some of its functionality though... So I probably have to enable javascript when writing replies.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

When Java is disabled on my mobile chrome browser I have no bookmarks/favorites. The shitty ad bar creates more problems than it's worth.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
When Java is disabled on my mobile chrome browser I have no bookmarks/favorites. The shitty ad bar creates more problems than it's worth.
hope some of this helps someone.
i try most popular browsers to find the one that works best for certain sites. not all browsers work on all sites. example, opera browser is not compatible with face book, not that i care or use face book, but it's fact. also yahoo does not like opera. i like opera and have 3 different builds of it in my pc for different sites/reasons. i also kept internet exploder. i have fire fox, but refuse to use google chrome as they hand over search records to feds. some thing like every 3rd search they get a hit on goes to the feds. so if they are so willing to not protect your privacy, (even before any laws came to be on the matter) then i can not trust them doing any thing online and personally i can't stand its interface (gui) or lack of features and controls. be careful what you "google"! flags are set on you if a certain word is used and then you will be followed closely.
some browser are just someone elses browser with a hat on it.
all browsers have security holes in them and bugs.

on my pc:
i use an old copy (primary browser) of opera v7.24 for sites i don't want cookies/java/java script.
i use (secondary) v12.xx for sites w/shopping carts/cookies/java/java script.
i installed newest build of opera v15.xx and it like this add... bites a big one.
i use (thirdly) firefox current for sites incompatible with opera.
i use (next to never) internet exploder if i have to.
also i use peer blocker to weed out bad html codes and bad ip's and hijacks and other bad thing that people try to do to us.
and zone alarm firewall as its a 2 way packet sniffer with the best atni-virus (kaspersky) and is free.

on my droid:
never used the built in browser, being it came from googles operating system, i dont trust it at all.
added opera mobile and opera mini and firefox.
so far the firefox seems to work best on the sites i use. i don't try to surf the web on a 7 " screen much at all and loose most of the content because i'm on a tablet form factor.

anyway, back to topic, the add blows... and it sounds like its driving what few people that use this place away. it's a shame that there is no control given to the site owner as far as the software he is using.
if it were me, i would change out forum software and be done with the clowns thats maybe costing business.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3300 View Post
hope some of this helps someone.
i try most popular browsers to find the one that works best for certain sites. not all browsers work on all sites. example, opera browser is not compatible with face book, not that i care or use face book, but it's fact. also yahoo does not like opera. i like opera and have 3 different builds of it in my pc for different sites/reasons. i also kept internet exploder. i have fire fox, but refuse to use google chrome as they hand over search records to feds. some thing like every 3rd search they get a hit on goes to the feds. so if they are so willing to not protect your privacy, (even before any laws came to be on the matter) then i can not trust them doing any thing online and personally i can't stand its interface (gui) or lack of features and controls. be careful what you "google"! flags are set on you if a certain word is used and then you will be followed closely.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ref=technology

Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 AM

gone...

Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Administrator

I've received word from Enzo the ad has been removed. I'd like to thank everyone for your patience during this inconvenience. The understanding by the members that ads are necessary in order to have the funds for the site to continue lets me know that ABi has a group of members that can be proud of their knowledge of how things work.

I've viewed the site in several different browsers and don't see any signs of the ad. If anyone is still seeing it please pm me with the details of which browser you're using and your settings. Experience has taught me not to advertise my settings and I believe a pm will be the best way for me to bump up any further issues to CrowdGather.

Two things, Abi is owned by CG and I'm not one of their employees. The primary role of local staff, the mods and admins, is to help members. CrowdGather is in charge of everything else. When something isn't right with the site please let me know immediately by pm.

There's a number of things we can't do at the local level but we can bring site issues to the attention of CG in a way that posting in the forums won't accomplish. I've found them to be very responsive when I've let them know that members are having site issues and they seem to resolve most of them quickly. They may not be able to fix everything immediately but the response time frame has been reasonable imo.

Thanks again and let me know if this is still an issue. If I don't get anything in the next couple of days I'll mark this closed.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks skip252, and thanks to EnzoTen!!!

Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Default A Complaint about ads while using Opera

content removed

Last edited by skip252; 09-25-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: content removed, didn't follow pm request

Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Forgot to close this. Please follow the direction to send me a pm with your browser and settings instead of posting in the forum.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread