android
Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Default Was I Sent A Refurbished Clip Zip

Howdy,

I recently purchased an 8GB Clip Zip via eBay for $35 from the following seller and am happy with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-Sans...96&mfe=sidebar

I spent a few dollars more to obtain a "new" Clip Zip.
I've just noticed an R engraved on the bottom of the case.
Does this mean I was sent a refurbished unit?

It's not a big deal, just curious.

Thank You.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

I'd say it's a big deal if you paid extra for a new unit and got a refurb. And it's definitely a refurb. The "r" stamped on the back tells you that.

It's listed as "new other"
Quote:
A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging,...
That means the listing is inaccurate. New means just that, new and unused, not refurbished. It will probably perform just fine but it being listed inaccurately would make me wary.

I've bought and sold hundreds of refurbs and consider them one of the best bargains in the market. Part of that has been knowing that a item should be listed truthfully with no upgrading to the next higher status to help boost sales. Anytime a vendor isn't fully forthcoming about an item's status I don't do business with them anymore.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Skip,

Thank you for the information. I spent an extra $3 for Clip Zip because I believed it was a new item. It did come in plain OEM packaging, which should have been another indicator.

Oh well, the Clip Zip looked new when I received it.

I won't cause a stink over $3.
However, I won't do business with this vendor again.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

That's why I said it that way. The few dollars difference probably isn't worth the hassle. If it works then it's probably not worth your time to return it. It does let you know who to deal with in the future.

If it's a manufacturer refurb it's essentially new. Those are sent through a second quality control process, stamped and the serial number is recorded so they can't be presented to sandisk for warranty service. Other than that it's the same as new.

Some people believe that they're returns that have been serviced but if yours is anything like any of them I've had the case should be pristine. It wouldn't make any sense to return, repair and place an item in a new case that didn't cost but a few dollars to produce in the first place.

It's much easier financially and physically to get rid of over production by just removing the warranty. The warranty is a substantial part of the expected cost in small electronics. Pencil whipping it out of the system and still selling the item at cost or a smaller profit is how there's so many like new refurbs for so many products.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Skip,

Thank you for the information on the refurb scene. I'm willing to buy another refurbished Clip Zip in the future when it comes time to replace my current unit.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, I'd be pissed at this deception and I'd complain to the seller and open up an eBay grievance, if needed. You were defrauded, putting it plain and simple.

If your player develops an issue in the future, you likely won't have any warranty coverage from SanDisk for a refurb (which is excellent--player replacement for 1 year in the U.S., 2 years in the EU--with SanDisk covering the postage both ways in the U.S.).

At the very least, you should be entitled to some $ back from the seller, and eBay will support you fully with this fraud (and the seller, if a repeat seller, will know that and try to avoid negative circumstances).

Stand up for yourself and against the defrauding seller (who likely knows exactly what he/she did)!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM

Mikerman,

I've followed your advice and received a partial refund of $12.99.
Thank you!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Congrats on the refund. Guess it was worth the hassle.

As the response seems quick and appropriate I'm guessing it was a matter of unintentionally mis-classifying the item instead of deliberate misrepresentation. Anyone can make a mistake. How they deal with it when it's brought to their attention is what counts.

Looking at their neutral and negative feedback across the last 6 months they seem to try to resolve issues according to eBay guidelines. I'm not fond of their relatively short return window but 14 days is long enough to get the item, use the heck out of it and see if it's going to fail. My experience is that if you use it hard (not abuse it!) for a week or so and it doesn't act up it will probably last a good long while.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM

I looked at the link and the item is described as new other. Personally I buy from Amazon, products come in original package, shipping is free and item will be replaced with no hassle if unit should not be satisfactory. There are other reputable vendors out there. I'm sure many are happy purchasing from ebay and get some kick out of feeling they are getting a bargain. I would only use them for something I couldn't get elsewhere like a discontinued part of item.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM

I was surprised that I was given a partial refund of $13. I was expecting $5 at the most. I am glad that I stood up for myself. I am considering using the partial refund to invest in a second refurbished Clip Zip, from another dealer of course.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Make sure that's a manufacturer refurb. There's several levels of refurb and the only ones I know that fit the criteria I listed are those. Anything else may or may not be at the level you would like.

The only time I got a lemon was when I got a Fuze and didn't pay attention to it being listed as user refurb. It was obviously used. The case was scratched and it still had someone else music on it. Since then I make sure it's listed as manufacturer refurb being sold by a reputable vendor and the results have been consistently top notch.

My criteria for choosing a vendor is here. As I said in that post it shouldn't be very difficult finding one that's more experience in dealing with electronics than the last one you used.

Checking the vendor on a site like ResellerRatings can also give you insight to how a vendor does business. They have a filtering process that makes it very difficult for anyone to create a phony rating. The times I ignored what was said there didn't work out well. Whenever I've used a participating vendor that had good feedback everything happened as expected.

My last sandisk purchase was from Dealfisher. It wouldn't be appropriate as a member of staff here to recommend them but an account of my experience is here.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Skip,

Thank you for the information. Deal Fisher was the seller I was considering purchasing a manufacturer refurbished 8GB Clip Zip from. They offer the 8GB unit at $29.99 shipped, which is a very good price.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockphantom View Post
Mikerman,

I've followed your advice and received a partial refund of $12.99.
Thank you!
Good for you! And I'd say that you made out well with that refund (I'm surprised by the amount as well). Hopefully, it will work just fine and you'll have many years of enjoyment with the player!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Hi there. I just bought a Zip Clip. I bought it on the Amazon website and it was sold by Deal Fisher. The product page clearly said it was refurb, and I was fine with that. Just $23. But it has "REFURB" stamped on the bottom edge (if you're looking at it straight on, then tip the top edge with the power button away from you, it's the bottom edge that you then see). I obviously didn't care that it was refurb, but I wish they didn't make it so obvious!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Hi there. I just bought a Zip Clip. I bought it on the Amazon website and it was sold by Deal Fisher. The product page clearly said it was refurb, and I was fine with that. Just $23. But it has "REFURB" stamped on the bottom edge (if you're looking at it straight on, then tip the top edge with the power button away from you, it's the bottom edge that you then see). I obviously didn't care that it was refurb, but I wish they didn't make it so obvious!
I've seen those...
I bought a refurb through Newegg, and it just has a small 'R' engraved on the bottom edge.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
I don't blame you and I think that "branding" a product that way, if readily visible (as opposed to in a battery compartment, for example), is defacing it.