android
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 AM

Default Sony's Media Go - The MP3 Encoder It Uses

In the thread "Bitrate Software?" I posted a comment concerning the MP3 encoder that Sony's Media Go software uses. I thought it would be better to start a new thread since the above thread has been inactive for a while and it deals with a specific music management application.

I ripped some songs in Media Go, Version 2.5, as MP3 files. I checked the song's info in iTunes and it showed that they were encoded with LAME Version 3.99.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Nice to know. I don't use MediaGo but it's nice someone that's interested to know a high quality mp3 encoder is included. I've known iTunes to stumble in the past with identifying older MP3 encoding but the last few times I checked it was able to ID newer version of LAME reliably.

Are you able to use a -V quality setting or does it give you some other way to decide which setting to use? The last time I had MediaGo installed I only encoded a few things to AAC and wasn't happy with the results. They didn't sound bad but they took forever to encode and put all types of proprietary info in the files.

I'm not a music thief. I don't need for an encoder to brand my files without my consent.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 PM

As far as encoder settings go, Media Go allows you to rip to MP3, AAC, and FLAC. I've used it to rip a few CDs and it hasn't taken too long to do so. I don't recall it taking more than 5 minutes.

For MP3 and AAC, it only allows you to set the bitrate with a range of 64kpbs to 320kbps when ripping CDs. For FLAC, it just allows you to select FLAC without the option of setting a compression level. As a test, checked a few songs that I ripped with Media Go as MP3s at 320kpbs in iTunes and it showed that they were Constant Bitrate and in Joint Stereo.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Administrator

There's no option to rip or convert using a quality setting? It wouldn't make much sense for them to include a quality MP3 encoder and then cripple it by only allowing a bit rate setting.

Ripping to 320 kbps is a waste of both quality and disk space. LAME is optimized around it's -V quality settings. While it's not likely that forcing it into CBR mode at that high a bit rate will result in lower quality files it's possible.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use fre:ac to rip, and I occasionally use mediago to sync. I don't like that the Sony software doesn't allow VBR ripping,...
http://www.freac.org

Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There's no option to rip or convert using a quality setting? It wouldn't make much sense for them to include a quality MP3 encoder and then cripple it by only allowing a bit rate setting.

Ripping to 320 kbps is a waste of both quality and disk space. LAME is optimized around it's -V quality settings. While it's not likely that forcing it into CBR mode at that high a bit rate will result in lower quality files it's possible.
I agree that it's unfortunate that Media Go doesn't allow some form of VBR encoding. They should have followed the suggested LAME interface (seen here: http://lame.sourceforge.net/lame_ui_example.php) to give you needed options while, as they recommend, keeping it simple.

As far as conversion goes, it does allow you to convert the files when it loads them on your Walkman. For conversion, you're limited to MP3 (from 128kbps to 320kbps) and AAC (from 128kbps to 256kbps) and it has an option to only encode files when it's required by the device or all items when they are transferred to your device. I've used this to convert FLAC files (the format I rip to, one not supported on my Walkman) when loading them on my Walkman.
MediaMonkey 4

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 08-28-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: To add to original post.