android
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM

Default Jaybird BlueBuds X Question?

Hi guys, my first post here

I picked up a pair of these earphones yesterday and while they work great with my Galaxy Note II, my main intention was to use them with my Cowon J3. To my horror I discovered the bluetooth quality on the Cowon is not up to much and sounds like 64kb MP3 so I have decided to purchase the Jaybird uSport Bluetooth Adapter which should hopefully alleviate these problems.

My question is I can't seem to get a straight answer of whether these earphones utilize the APT-X bluetooth quality that the adapter will provide. From what I have gathered, these buds use this "Shift" technology which Jaybird have created, but this seems to be based on the standard bluetooth protocol. My question is whether this "Shift" feature is comparable to APT-X. The earphones seem very highly regarded so it seems unfatomable that the quality would be worse than ones that have APT-X support.

Google doesn't seem to give a clear answer on this or on whether shift is better or worse that APT-X.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh all I know is that APT-X is better than regular BT. Later Samsung products seem to support it (S3, S4, Note 2 I think etc), the Cowon wouldn't. That would explain it wouldn't it? Yer transmitter and reciever both utilising the APT-X, whereas cowon its slipped back onto rubbish regular BT. Seeing as the adapter also utilises the APT-X Codec I'm pretty confident it would solve yer sound issues.

But yeh I cannot see that the buds have apt-x... but with 'x' in the name... lol maybe they do..

Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Yeh all I know is that APT-X is better than regular BT. Later Samsung products seem to support it (S3, S4, Note 2 I think etc), the Cowon wouldn't. That would explain it wouldn't it? Yer transmitter and reciever both utilising the APT-X, whereas cowon its slipped back onto rubbish regular BT. Seeing as the adapter also utilises the APT-X Codec I'm pretty confident it would solve yer sound issues.

But yeh I cannot see that the buds have apt-x... but with 'x' in the name... lol maybe they do..
Cheers for the reply

Yeah it seems the buds don't support APT-X, and this "Shift" technology it uses is meant to clean up the signal at the reciever end. This is what confuses me as to why it sounds so bad on the Cowon as the Jaybuds are meant to work on properly on any bluetooth device.

Anyway I bought the adapter thingy and it solved the problem

Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well that is odd. I woulda thought the buds support apt-x even more now that you mention things are better with the adapter...
Who told you the buds don't do apt-x? Maybe they got it wrong (wouldn't surprise me in the least).

My exploration with BT got me to the same conclusion, in order for good sound both transmitter and reciever need to be apt-x, otherwise don't bother, so i never got excited when reading about this mp3 player or that having BT if it wasn't apt-x. To my knowledge Creative are the only player to release a apt-x BT player (X-fi3), but I hear it's not so good in every other regard...
Also BT chews battery life considerably, I believe later versions of it are better than earlier but still..
The adapter you got does make sense, making any DAP u own compatible with yer heads, it just kinda sucks that yer ferrying more on yer person.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This guy here seems to think yer heads are apt-x.
I wouldn't be surprised if the buds do carry apt-x somewhere, they just arn't shouting about it, instead trying to promote 'shift' instead..

Last edited by BruceBanner; 08-22-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are there any wireless HP's that offer longer battery life? 8hrs sux for me,...they would die before I got home!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Are there any wireless HP's that offer longer battery life? 8hrs sux for me,...they would die before I got home!!!
Not that I know of, this also is why I have not really gone fully across to BT headphones. I wouldn't mind trying an adapter of sorts so that you can keep yer favorite IEM, wrap the cords up and use a long battery life BT adapter, don't think such a thing exists tho...
Perhaps the cords could be wrapped into the neck band thing that has the BT adapter or sumthing.. (just ignore me, thinking out loud)

EDIT: all the adapters I found are largish, might as well keep it wired... It's funny how technology advances in certain area's and no so much in others...
A dream come true would be a tiny adapter to fit existing IEMs, OR with special headphones (like Triple Fi 10's), pull the cord out of IEM bud and insert a tiny non heavy adapter into each phone etc... ahh well we can keep dreaming...

Last edited by BruceBanner; 08-22-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
This guy here seems to think yer heads are apt-x.
I wouldn't be surprised if the buds do carry apt-x somewhere, they just arn't shouting about it, instead trying to promote 'shift' instead..
I spoke to Jaybird support and they confirmed that these buds are not APT-X. Very strange indeed because they do actually some fantastic when connected to a modern smartphone or a Cowon with the adapter on.

Quite confusing really how it sounds so good and why it needs a separate adapter if it doesn't support APT-X.

One annoying aspect is that the remote on the Jaybird buds worked to control my Cowon (where no other wired earphone remotes would work), but that functionality is lost when connected through the bluetooth adapter. A bit of a shame

Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't trust Jaybird support lol, but hey that's just me..
There is more evidence that they do (carry aptx) with the better sound quality of the adapter... otherwise what is really going on?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
There is more evidence that they do (carry aptx) with the better sound quality of the adapter... otherwise what is really going on?
I have no idea

If only Cowon would release a high capacity (64GB +) player, with no file limit and APT-X built in

Old 08-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If only any brand brought out a player like that...

Old 08-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
If only any brand brought out a player like that...
Haha true

But with the Cowon I KNOW the sound quality will be great (even if most other things about it suck!)

Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade2black101 View Post
I spoke to Jaybird support and they confirmed that these buds are not APT-X. Very strange indeed because they do actually some fantastic when connected to a modern smartphone or a Cowon with the adapter on.

Quite confusing really how it sounds so good and why it needs a separate adapter if it doesn't support APT-X.
Quote:
I'd say what this points to is a really, really bad Bluetooth implementation on the Cowon J3. Mystery solved! (FWIW, I doubt Jaybird support lacks the very basic knowledge of what Bluetooth features their brand new, flagship, Bluetooth-centered headphones carry...but I could be wrong. )

Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I'd say what this points to is a really, really bad Bluetooth implementation on the Cowon J3. Mystery solved!
But what does 'really really bad bluetooth implementation' mean tho? It's too generic an answer to me. I don't think it closes this Mystery!
Having been a Bluetooth freak I have tried dozens of bluetooth speakers and transmitters over the years, I KNOW what 2.1edr BT sounds like, thumps and hisses etc, it's hilarious. And i know that apt-x (to my ears) sounds like, as if the connection is wired, it's night and day difference. (FYI I continue to use apt-x on a regular basis in home streaming).
The fact that J3 is just standard Bluetooth and that the user reports that the sound quality is poor doesn't surprise me in the slightest. When I hear news of a new DAP that has BT the first thing I find out is if it is apt-x or not, otherwise I forget that feature immediately.
I wouldn't have said "really really bad Bluetooth implementation" as the answer, but rather that it's just old standard 2.1 BT tech.
What yer saying is that some 2.1 BT can sound great and others don't (due to implementation differences). If that's true (and im not saying it isnt) then EVERY BT 2.1 device I have heard has been badly implemented cuz they have all been terrible...

Perhaps someone who is experienced with apt-x sounding devices can report on some other DAPS that have standard BT (like the X7) and report on whether it sounds good etc. I have yet to hear non apt-x 2.0/2.1 sound good is my point.

In my 34yrs on this planet I have learned to be very skeptical about trusting support staff. At the moment the facts tell us two apt-x transmitter devices (the adapter and devices that have it as standard) sound good to the BBXs, a device that doesnt have apt-x sounds naff. That suggests the receiver does support apt-x coding, if not then why are the apt-x transmitters devices doing a better job?
Fade2blck, perhaps you have other non apt-x bluetooth devices, try some of them... report back on whether they all sound the same as the J3 or that the J3 sounds specially bad (which would suggest epi is on the right path perhaps).

Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
But what does 'really really bad bluetooth implementation' mean tho? It's too generic an answer to me. I don't think it closes this Mystery!
Having been a Bluetooth freak I have tried dozens of bluetooth speakers and transmitters over the years, I KNOW what 2.1edr BT sounds like, thumps and hisses etc, it's hilarious. And i know that apt-x (to my ears) sounds like, as if the connection is wired, it's night and day difference. (FYI I continue to use apt-x on a regular basis in home streaming).
The fact that J3 is just standard Bluetooth and that the user reports that the sound quality is poor doesn't surprise me in the slightest. When I hear news of a new DAP that has BT the first thing I find out is if it is apt-x or not, otherwise I forget that feature immediately.
I wouldn't have said "really really bad Bluetooth implementation" as the answer, but rather that it's just old standard 2.1 BT tech.
What yer saying is that some 2.1 BT can sound great and others don't (due to implementation differences). If that's true (and im not saying it isnt) then EVERY BT 2.1 device I have heard has been badly implemented cuz they have all been terrible...

Perhaps someone who is experienced with apt-x sounding devices can report on some other DAPS that have standard BT (like the X7) and report on whether it sounds good etc. I have yet to hear non apt-x 2.0/2.1 sound good is my point.

In my 34yrs on this planet I have learned to be very skeptical about trusting support staff. At the moment the facts tell us two apt-x transmitter devices (the adapter and devices that have it as standard) sound good to the BBXs, a device that doesnt have apt-x sounds naff. That suggests the receiver does support apt-x coding, if not then why are the apt-x transmitters devices doing a better job?
Fade2blck, perhaps you have other non apt-x bluetooth devices, try some of them... report back on whether they all sound the same as the J3 or that the J3 sounds specially bad (which would suggest epi is on the right path perhaps).
I'll test it out on my laptop (XPS 17), which uses bluetooth 3.0 (I think). Also on my HTC EVO 3D, which I'm guessing uses an older variant.

The confusion comes from the claim by Jaybird that these earphones are not APT-X and apparently they use this "shift" thingy to clean up the signal so it works on every bluetooth device and doesn't need special equipment.

Maybe it does have APT-X, but the staff are certainly of the opinion that it doesn't, and they don't claim it has it either. All very strange.

I'll get back to you lot once I find the time to test out the other equipment.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds good (pun intended). I guess my thinking is most front-line support staff will know as much as we do about a product, in my experience when talking with support staff (in other fields) they just refer to their own website for information. If you want more info your inquiry gets pushed up the chain of command (tech support/engineers input etc).

Also it doesn't make sense why Jaybird would create a new headphone that doesn't support apt-x yet they still sell and push their own brand of adapter that does clearly adopt apt-x (uSport).
Sounds to me they want to market Shift technology but aren't daft enough to push customers away (in terms of sound quality) by omitting apt-x (from a pairing perspective). I mean can you imagine how pissed you would be if you paired yer BBX's with the uSport adapter and sound was still awful (Jaybird to Jaybird no less!).

Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I done some fb hounding of Jaybird, here's what a rep said (he/she has made the most sense yet).

Me:
I can understand why the Cowon J3's own internal Bluetooth provides a poor sound quality connection, after all it's quite old tech now. But what I find interesting is the sound quality is good when using your own brand uSport Universal Bluetooth adapter (instead) which does utilize apt-x. I'm just kinda shocked that you wouldn't also include apt-x in these BBX's when you still sell and promote the uSport. Surely you want the uSport adapter and BBXs to pair well together, one certainly does have apt-x, the other doesn't? Yet the sound is great quality, infact it sounds JUST LIKE apt-x, furthermore the BBXs when paired with other apt-x devices sound great... I can understand from a marketing perspective why you might keep quite about it if yer trying to promote something new (Shift technology), but so far the actual evidence is suggesting that if yer device has apt-x it's gunna sound great with BBXs... so HOW does it manage that if the BBXs don't carry apt-x themselves
Is it possible the engineers added it but didn't tell support staff?

Them:

We've switched to Shift® technology as it ensures the sound quality is just as good as Apt-X, but without both the audio device and the headset requiring Apt-X. Shift® is solely within the BlueBuds X, so it unpacks the sound coming in via Bluetooth a special way in which it minimizes packet loss. In short, Apt-X and Shift® sound the same (Shift® has been tested to sound even better) but Shift® is always being used with the BlueBuds X, whereas Apt-X is only used when both devices support it.

Our uSport does contain Apt-X, but depending on the headset it's connecting to it will either use Apt-X or it won't. The uSport still works when not connected using Apt-X. The only headset we have with Apt-X nowadays is the Sportsband.

You must also make sure that when connecting to a device, that you're connecting in Stereo and not Mono. Or you're connecting to both Media and Phone audio, not just Phone audio (when using Android).

-----

So there u go.