Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I done some fb hounding of Jaybird, here's what a rep said (he/she has made the most sense yet).

I can understand why the Cowon J3's own internal Bluetooth provides a poor sound quality connection, after all it's quite old tech now. But what I find interesting is the sound quality is good when using your own brand uSport Universal Bluetooth adapter (instead) which does utilize apt-x. I'm just kinda shocked that you wouldn't also include apt-x in these BBX's when you still sell and promote the uSport. Surely you want the uSport adapter and BBXs to pair well together, one certainly does have apt-x, the other doesn't? Yet the sound is great quality, infact it sounds JUST LIKE apt-x, furthermore the BBXs when paired with other apt-x devices sound great... I can understand from a marketing perspective why you might keep quite about it if yer trying to promote something new (Shift technology), but so far the actual evidence is suggesting that if yer device has apt-x it's gunna sound great with BBXs... so HOW does it manage that if the BBXs don't carry apt-x themselves
Is it possible the engineers added it but didn't tell support staff?

We've switched to Shift® technology as it ensures the sound quality is just as good as Apt-X, but without both the audio device and the headset requiring Apt-X. Shift® is solely within the BlueBuds X, so it unpacks the sound coming in via Bluetooth a special way in which it minimizes packet loss. In short, Apt-X and Shift® sound the same (Shift® has been tested to sound even better) but Shift® is always being used with the BlueBuds X, whereas Apt-X is only used when both devices support it.

Our uSport does contain Apt-X, but depending on the headset it's connecting to it will either use Apt-X or it won't. The uSport still works when not connected using Apt-X. The only headset we have with Apt-X nowadays is the Sportsband.

You must also make sure that when connecting to a device, that you're connecting in Stereo and not Mono. Or you're connecting to both Media and Phone audio, not just Phone audio (when using Android).

So there u go.
SOURCE: Xclef (gone) | Cowon X5(gone) | Cowon D2 (dead) | Sansaclip+ RB | Sansa ClipZip RB | Cowon i9+ (32gb) | Cowon C2 (4gb)
HPs: Soundmagic E10's | Hippo VB's | UE 600's | Superlux HD 668B | Superlux HD660 | Sony XBA3 | Sony XBA2VP