android
Old 07-27-2013, 02:20 PM

Hello,

I've just installed Rockbox (with the Rockbox Utility) on my 8gb Clip Zip, and am very much liking it in every way except one - certain albums won't play. As far as I can tell (it's hard to check everything as I have quite a lot of music on it) all the albums that don't work are WMA files, but other WMA files work fine, and they are always entire albums.

The 'broken' albums don't show in the database, and when I go to files to play them the file opens and then immediately goes back to the menu without playing. I've had a look through the manual but couldn't find the solution, and keep going around in circles on the Rockbox website - hope this isn't a silly question!

Thanks for the help!

(PS: Another slight bug I'm having is sometimes on database I click an album/artist/etc, and it just takes me back to the top of the list I'm currently viewing, except with the name of the item I clicked at the top. But this is not as important as the other issue.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

WMA standard and pro should work. WMA lossless and voice will not. Anything with DRM will not.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
WMA standard and pro should work. WMA lossless and voice will not. Anything with DRM will not.
Thanks for your response,

None of my music has DRM as far as I know (it is not 'protected') and there is no reason why they should be lossless or 'voice' (although I don't know what that is) as all of it is ripped in the same way, using Windows Media Player.

The majority of my files are WMA so it may not be related to that, but I checked the mp3 files I have and couldn't find any that didn't work, this could be coincidence though.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Administrator

The default setting when ripping using WMP is to set copy protection. If you didn't specifically change that setting anything you ripped to wma using WMP will be copy protected.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The default setting when ripping using WMP is to set copy protection. If you didn't specifically change that setting anything you ripped to wma using WMP will be copy protected.
Yes, I did change it and I have checked the properties of the files in question and under protected all say 'no'

Old 07-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Then your next step would be to report the problem over on the Rockbox forums and be prepared to file a bug report. In the past I've seen them ask the user to upload an affected file somewhere so the developers can takes a look and find what makes the files not play.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM

So stupid me updated to 1.01.21 and now I can't install the bootloader again because mkamsboot says it's unsupported. I see that it was patched and git but i can't seem to find a newer binary. Any help finding one would be greatly appreciated. BTW i'm on linux 64bit

Last edited by mamamia88; 07-27-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Fixed by installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rbutil-git/ Just wish They would provide quicker updates to mkamsboot for newer firmware

Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Administrator

I don't know about Linux but in Windows you could just supply a copy of the 01.01.20 firmware for the installer. You can find a link for that here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64931.

For a Rockbox user it's doubtful there's a reason to change to the newer firmware. Unless there's a change to Rockbox that requires a newer bootloader like when USB was activated I haven't found any reason to reinstall the bootloader. I'm not going to be using the OF and the version I have installed now has all the features of Rockbox active.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I don't know about Linux but in Windows you could just supply a copy of the 01.01.20 firmware for the installer. You can find a link for that here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64931.

For a Rockbox user it's doubtful there's a reason to change to the newer firmware. Unless there's a change to Rockbox that requires a newer bootloader like when USB was activated I haven't found any reason to reinstall the bootloader. I'm not going to be using the OF and the version I have installed now has all the features of Rockbox active.
Yeah i had it connected to the computer to upgrade rockbox builds and figured i might as well. Didn't expect it not to work with the newer firmware files.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 PM

I am sure that has been answered multiple times before. However I have been unable to find an answer. Why is there a menu for audible files in rockbox if they are incompatible with rockbox? I just got my clip zip and immediately installed rockbox. However, when I tried to put my audible audiobooks on there they will not show up. I immediately searched forums and discovered that they are drm protected and not compatible. So my question is why is there a file menu option for audible if they are incompatible? Or does that file stand for something other than Audible audiobooks. thanks for your help. I am very new to this.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

That folder is created during the database refresh in the OF. You have the option to keep it and make it part of a folder structure you prefer or delete it. It's not required for anything in Rockbox. If you delete it it will be created again if you ever boot the OF.

The same goes for any of the other directories you see after booting the sandisk firmware. The only one that is created by the installation of Rockbox is the .rockbox folder. If you want to get rid of any of them or use them that's up to you.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Ah I see....that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I don't have drm material of any type on my sandisk players so I don't worry about the precaution on the Rockbox Sansa AMS status page. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS#
Quote:
Installation of a bootloader may or may not cause any DRM music in the Sandisk player to suddenly expire. If it does, you may be able to fix it using these instructions
I notice that that page no longer warns against the permanent loss of drm capability. I'm guessing that means someone from Rockbox has followed the instructions in that link and they worked to allow a Rockboxed player to use drm material again. Once again, that's a guess but considering how long that page warned about the possible permanent loss of drm capability and seeing it's been changed I believe it's a good guess.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM

my 8gb zip is having problems with my 64gb card. it runs great on my J3 and Fuze but on my zip, it keeps on freezing up and the database never finishes. I even left it to initialize overnight but to no avail

sorry if this was discussed before, don't have time to backread.TIA!

Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM

I have a Clip Zip whose centre "select" button is dying (it is very hard to get it to activate). Since this device otherwise works perfectly, I was wondering if there was an easy way of rebinding the keys so that the function of the centre button could be given to a different button (the "home" button would make sense).

Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Administrator

The keymap can only be changed by compiling a custom build. You would need to setup a build environment, pull the source code and remap the keys.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Hi All! I'm a recovering Rhapsody-to-go user who just RB'd my ClipZip; had the player for over a year and a Clip before that (still works great!).

My question is related to playlist and song location. I'm using MusicBee to maintain and organize my music collection; amazing freeware, truly.

When I connect my CZ to my Win7 (64bit) laptop MusicBee sees the CZ as two separate devices, the internal memory and the external (32GB SanDisk Micro SD card).

If I set the device settings in MusicBee to put a playlist on the INTERNAL memory then everything works as expected; you can see the playlist in the RB 'Playlist Catalog' and it plays.

If I set the device settings in MusicBee to put the playlist on the External memory then it does NOT appear in the Playlist Catalog but will show up (and function) if invoked from Files/<microSD1>/Playlists.

There doesn't seem to be any way to have a playlist 'span' the two 'separate devices' so that I can have the PL show up in the Playlist Catalog while the files reside on the SD card (or a combination of internal memory and the SD card).

Ideally I'd like the CZ and card to function seamlessly as one device, so that I don't need to put "big" playlists on the SD card and limit the use of the internal memory to "smaller" playlists.

Am I missing something obvious? (I am new at this ).

My current workaround is to just use the SD card, but that's a total kludge and doesn't use the internal memory (4GB) at all.

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Administrator

If you place the playlists on the external memory all the files from both the internal and external memories will be recognized. It's been like that since saratoga reworked the code quite a while back. I don't think the manual has been updated to reflect all the changes to the Playlist Catalog since the major rework a couple of years ago so that may also be a part of your confusion.

You can change the location of the Playlist Catalog by using the context menu. Navigate to the external memory or any folder on it then, long Enter=>Playlist Catalog=>Set As Playlist Catalog Directory. For neatness sake I've created a Playlists folder but you can just use the root of the external memory or any other directory you create.

I don't usually use MusicBee to deal with playlists on a Rockboxed player. The playlists MusicBee makes work but the ones made on the player itself don't in MB. Not surprising as the way they're stored I haven't found an external software that's able to read past the <microSD1> prefix and read them properly.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:15 PM

Wow, thank you very much for the prompt and detailed reply. I successfully changed the target directory for the Playlist Catalog as you suggested, so that part is cool.

I don't ever build playlists on the device; too clunky, tiny screen....

I'm still not sure how I could have a MusicBee playlist that contains songs from both memory locations; given the MB interface it seems like it isn't possible?

Just for laughs I loaded a song (by itself, via MusicBee) to the internal memory and then included that same song in a playlist stored on the external memory and synchronized. The song got copied again (to the external memory) and now exists on the player twice.

ETA: You're right- there's not much information on file loading/playlist handling in the manual.

Any further insight? It seems like this should be a no-brainer, but I'm stuck.

Last edited by porterdog; 12-06-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: moar deets!