android
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM

Unhappy Clip+ bricked, other forum tips not working

My clip+ has become completely bricked. The clip has done this once before. It belonged to my sister, and when it broke, she left it in a drawer for a year or two and got a new MP3 player. When my clip zip's headphone jack broke, I was able to get it working by charging it. It worked about a month, until one day, it required a reset to turn off. When I tried to turn it back on, it got stuck on the loading screen. I reset it again (via power for 30 seconds), and it hasn't turned on since.

I've tried power, reset, power for 5 minutes, and not charging it for two weeks. The clip does NOT have the latest firmware, unless they stopped making updates a year ago (though i have no idea if my sister used to update it or not). The computer recognizes that something has been plugged into it, makes a noise, but is unable to make contact with the clip in any way.

Is there a fix, or should I just get a new one? Thanks!!!

Edit: Forgot to mention, it does not have rockbox on it!

Last edited by pieman445; 06-29-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: forgot information

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You tried charging it with an AC charger? You tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds, then tried to turn it on again? If you could turn it on I would suggest formatting it using the player's menu(deleting all files on the player) If you could get it to connect to your pc then I would suggest formatting it via pc. Try charging it again with an AC charger, then try connecting it to your pc.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:04 AM

I have tried using an AC adapter to charge it, but to no avail. I've been planning on formatting it and updating the firmware as soon as I can get it to boot, but who knows when that'll be...

Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 PM

Have you tried forcing MSC mode while connecting to your computer? Press and hold the REW button |<< while plugging it in. Continue holding unitl it powers up and is recognized as 2 separate drives (one internal & 1 card slot) in Windows Explorer.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Still no signs of life. However, when I plugged it in a message came up on my computer saying that the device was not recognized. I'm not sure whether or not the computer recognized the player at all previously.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried to connect it to other PCs? Are you connecting it directly to a rear usb port(if you have desktop) or plugging in the computer to to its adapter first before connecting the player? Have you tried to force MSC mode when connecting(press and hold down the center button on the player and keep holding it as you connect and for a while longer until hopefully the player connects).

Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieman445 View Post
Still no signs of life. However, when I plugged it in a message came up on my computer saying that the device was not recognized. I'm not sure whether or not the computer recognized the player at all previously.
Hey, I had similar problem with my Clip+, it bricked while playing song in Rockbox and when plugged into PC it says device not recognized and suggest to format it but formatting doesn't work.

In my case Clip is beyond any recover.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM

I have a Rockboxed Clip (not +) that just spontaneously slipped into a coma a few weeks ago. I tried holding the power switch for 30 seconds, a minute, five minutes - nothing. Nothing showed up on the computer (tried on a Mac and a linux PC) when I plugged it in. Just totally dead.

I used a rubber band to hold the power switch overnight, and that fixed it. When it froze it had maybe 80% charge, and after a night with the power switch held, it was almost completely discharged. It's still working OK.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM

just to jump on this thread, i've had a quick browse of the forums cause my Plus just deaded itself and it seems this is a fairly common occurrence? i was sitting here at my desk, Photoshopping, and after about 5 songs it started the next track, played about 3 seconds and went dead. totally. fortunately after reading a couple of necro threads here i got it working by holding the power button for about 30+ seconds.

does anyone know why these do this? i haven't been overusing it and it hasn't had any knocks. maybe i need firmware upgrade for it to handle Rammstein? :-D

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Clips attract gremlins. Fortunately, often can be easily fixed.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanka View Post
I have a Rockboxed Clip (not +) that just spontaneously slipped into a coma a few weeks ago. I tried holding the power switch for 30 seconds, a minute, five minutes - nothing. Nothing showed up on the computer (tried on a Mac and a linux PC) when I plugged it in. Just totally dead.

I used a rubber band to hold the power switch overnight, and that fixed it. When it froze it had maybe 80% charge, and after a night with the power switch held, it was almost completely discharged. It's still working OK.
Sorry if this is necroing, but how reliable is the rubber band method? My Clip Zip is going through the same problem as Op's

Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 AM

Nobody can say. Why not just try it? I've recovered my Clip Zip by letting it sit for a few days. I imagine the rubber band trick just drains the battery faster.

Tags
bricked, broken, clip+, help., not working