android
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Fuze+ refuses to boot

hello,

I own a fuze+ which has been lying in a drawer for about 2 years. I regretted the purchase immediately and got myself a clip+ which I use. But now I left my clip+ at the workplace and still needed a player, so I thought I'd give the fuze+ a go. I definitely think I rockboxed it. But it won't boot. When I plug it in to the pc, it does mount, and I can view the files. The screen then says:

Boot Version: 1.0
arg=CAFEBABE addr=40000000
USB: Connecting
Bootloader USB mode

I reinstalled rockbox (with 02.38.06 firmware), which didn't report an error. But if I unplug to reconfigure it just stays dead. It's been plugged into the usb for a couple of hours now, so there should be SOME juice in the battery.

Anybody have an idea what I could do? (besides binning it)

thnx, Pep

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You may need to leave it plugged in longer. Give it a good 12 hours before you give up on it for dead.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Bin it. Seriously. The problem I have found with a RB'd Fuze+ is the exact problem you are running into, which is why I am religious about making sure I leave it in a state (I use mine in my car with an FM transmitter) that my wife should not accidentally turn it on and run the battery down. It won't take a charge (or at least it doesn't seem to) and you can't get it to turn on. Even in the 'puter. I lucked out in that mine had just enough of a charge to turn on using the old firmware (hold the down button while holding the power button until it starts to boot). Maybe mine was charging, but it didn't seem like it. Also, it was weird, because the FM transmitter has a USB port that I use a USB cable to plug the Fuze+ into it to keep the the Fuze+ charged when I am driving around and I was trying to use that to charge my Fuze+ when the battery went dead, the Fuze+ kept coming on, giving the same error you show, then it would blank out for a few seconds, and then repeat. It would do that for at least 5 minutes and I want to say more like 10 minutes and then it just seems to "die". THAT was when I thought my Fuze+ had really died. When I got to work, used a USB wallwart to charge the Fuze+, I let it go through the motions again figuring if it died, good riddance, but while I am not sure if it really took a charge or what, I let it charge about 4 hours, regardless something must have worked because it is still working today. Not sure I will go through the hassle if this happens again. Since you haven't used it in 2 years, bin it, get another Clip.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.
I now have it plugged into a wall, and it does the continually resetting itself thing. I will leave it plugged in for the rest of the day and see what happens.

Then again, I might have been doing something not too smart. I lost my patience a bit yesterday and might have shift-del-ed the entire contents of the player. And I mean entirely. Figured it needed a proper reset and hoped the firmware would install itself from scratch, but not too sure anymore.

regards, Pep

Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 AM

FYI: the clip is not lost, it's just @work, plugged in for charging. And I'm working somewhere else, cursing all FM-stations.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:53 AM

UPDATE:
I held down the volume-rocker and pressed the power button. And a sansa logo come onscreen. And then the battery picture stating it's charging. And now it says "you have sucesfully updated your device". Seems to be working again!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Glad that it worked out for you. That confirms that it is taking a charge even when it appears to not.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM

How did you turn the device on? Did you press the power button, or did you simply plug it in while it was turned off.

If the answer is the latter, this is a known Rockbox bug. To prevent this in the future, try downloading the new Release Candidate bootloader, which you can find HERE*! Then, grab yourself a recent daily build, and unzip the .rockbox folder unto the root directory.

*If you don't know/remember how to perform a firmware update, just download the file straight to the Fuze Plus, specifically the root directory of the internal memory (but first, make sure to power off the unit, then plug it in while holding the Power Down button). Hold the volume down button while you unplug, and wait for the firmware to update.