android
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 AM

Default protect screen?

hi guys,
my lovely new clip zip just arrived :-)
was wondering do you guys bother using any sort of screen protector on it? as seems like it is just plastic so assume will scratch very easily
cheers
Dan

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danx55 View Post
hi guys,
my lovely new clip zip just arrived :-)
was wondering do you guys bother using any sort of screen protector on it? as seems like it is just plastic so assume will scratch very easily
cheers
Dan
I never put mine in a pocket with keys or coins, but I have no screen protector on it and there are no scratches.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 AM

hi Marvin,
ok cool thanks - yes i would try not to do that too - im generally very careful with my kit
cheers
dan

Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Personally, I use a screen saver of some type or ALWAYS keep the player stored in a protective case--crud just seems to happen, and I feel better with a case with screen protection.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I always keep a card in my Clip players as having the slot open is a way for lint to get inside the player. I don't use a screen protector, but am careful about what I put it in a pocket with. I don't put the player next to anything hard that could scratch it. I carry a small ziplock plastic bag with me when there is a good chance of rain, so I can keep the player and my watch dry.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Personally, I use a screen saver of some type or ALWAYS keep the player stored in a protective case--crud just seems to happen, and I feel better with a case with screen protection.
The silicone cases for the Clips are no good...they ruin the tactile feel of the player's controls, which ruins any chance of operating the player blindly. It was bad on the Clip+ and it is even worse with the Clip Zip.

In the middle of the grocery store one time I was trying to just pause a track for a second, and suddenly instead my music started sounding all wrong.....so I had to stop, push my cart over to the side, and then I discovered that I had ended up in the pitch control screen! That made me quite angry, and I tore the case off the player right there, restored the pitch to where it belonged, and on my way out of the store that case went in the garbage can...lol.

So you couldn't pay me to use a case on a Clip. I am a big proponent of cases on players normally though....just not on Clip variants.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The silicone cases for the Clips are no good...they ruin the tactile feel of the player's controls, which ruins any chance of operating the player blindly. It was bad on the Clip+ and it is even worse with the Clip Zip.

In the middle of the grocery store one time I was trying to just pause a track for a second, and suddenly instead my music started sounding all wrong.....so I had to stop, push my cart over to the side, and then I discovered that I had ended up in the pitch control screen! That made me quite angry, and I tore the case off the player right there, restored the pitch to where it belonged, and on my way out of the store that case went in the garbage can...lol.

So you couldn't pay me to use a case on a Clip. I am a big proponent of cases on players normally though....just not on Clip variants.
So you blame the case for a deficiency in Rockbox(not being able to set the time for a button press to be considered a long press)? Rockbox is very good and has so many features, however some crucial settings are missing. Not being able to set the long press duration is very annoying.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
So you blame the case for a deficiency in Rockbox(not being able to set the time for a button press to be considered a long press)? Rockbox is very good and has so many features, however some crucial settings are missing. Not being able to set the long press duration is very annoying.
Yes, I do blame the case....because I never once had ever gone into that pitch control screen before that day, and never since then, for that matter.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't really like the silicone cases much, aesthetically (apart from for gym purposes). With the original Clip I had a small, classy leather case (really!)--looks great and offers some protection. And with the original Clip and Clip+, I have DLO neoprene cases ("Action Jackets")--nicely protective.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, no leather cases or DLO cases for the Clip Zip--just the darned silicone jackets . . . . Really, manfs.--is it so hard?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM

I don't use plastic screen protectors on my devices because I hate how ugly they make the display look. When the screen inevitably gets covered in tiny scratches from my pocket I use Meguiar's PlastX, which you can get at an auto parts store.

You put a little bit on a cloth and rub it into the plastic for a little while then wipe off the waxy residue. It completely removes smaller scratches (not deep gouges) by polishing them down and is good for lots of things, like watch faces and LCD monitors and plastic glasses. It does not work on glass, but it's still very handy stuff.