android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 07-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default XBA3's lose sound in one channel after 2hrs

So it's been pretty consistent results, around the 2hr mark the left channel loses volume and eventually becomes barely audible around the 2hr mark. I'm concluding that I am listening to them too loud, I shall do a test sometime whereby I just leave my player running at a lower volume and check on them periodically.
It's a first for me, never had an IEM do that and I have owned quite a few, interesting that the XBA3's are the highest end most expensive IEM to do this.

I shall try the XBA2's (VP) and see if they do the same tomorrow (I haven't been able to fully put them through the test.

Just thought ya'all might like to know.

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting and unfortunate news, Bruce. In addition to testing them at a lower volume, could you run them at your usual volume but keep them out of your ears the whole time? I'd be curious to know if the problem is related solely to volume levels, or if it also has to do with them being worn for that long.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I will do, but really don't understand how having the IEMs in ear or lying on the table would effect them!?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I will do, but really don't understand how having the IEMs in ear or lying on the table would effect them!?
The biggest differences, I imagine, would be of moisture and heat. I'm still suspicious that the former might have something to do with your issue. If the problem occurs when your ears are out of the equation, that would eliminate moisture as a culprit, methinks.

Are your XBA's under warranty?

Last edited by epithetless; 07-28-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They were EOFY 85% sale, $60 instead of $350. Can't be replaced, End Of Line stock. There are none left in Australasia. So no cant be replaced.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 AM

That's a strange issue you have there.

I haven't noticed any problems with my XBA-2s since I got them in April, but I just use them in bed as they isolate a little more than I'd like for walking around outside.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
They were EOFY 85% sale, $60 instead of $350. Can't be replaced, End Of Line stock. There are none left in Australasia. So no cant be replaced.
Bummer. At least they were on sale...

Old 07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh i'll prolly give them to mrs banner, or use them at times when i'm not going to be listening for longer than a couple of hours. Turning down the volume is not an option lol.
But anyways, not sure its volume related yet...

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

By any chance, still under warranty to get a manf. replacement?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If u read above milkerman I said they were End Of Line/EOFY sale, there are NO MORE to have them replaced, the best they can do is offer a refund.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
If u read above milkerman I said they were End Of Line/EOFY sale, there are NO MORE to have them replaced, the best they can do is offer a refund.
Yep, but if still under warranty, perhaps the manf. has some replacement stash around, or can make good on a current generation, high-quality pair. I certainly would try.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I already did and the above was their response

Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, that was charming of them, wasn't it? Good way to build customer loyalty . . . . Maybe you could talk them up to a non-sale price credit for a new pair of phones, so that you could get a kind of equivalent sort of pair? (Yep, I know--fat chance with that. But I might be tempted to try . . . .)

Sorry for you . . . .

(The only other thought I had was, was this dealing with the manufacturer itself? I would think that the manufacturer, and as oppsed to a store, might have an incentive to replace a warranty return item with whatever is the current "closest match" in terms of technology and quality (and might be required to do so, under the law). But maybe that's just silly me again.)

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are no Sony stores in oz anymore, this IEM came direct from Sony.com.au in a 85% sale, they wont replace with a similar product worth $350 when I grabbed a pair for $60 (i know i had this chat with them already). Only option was keep 'em or credit my card back.
Right now im doing the test, XBA3's have been on for 2.5hrs at a loud volume but not in my ears, I will check in a little bit if there is a volume loss in one of the ears.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well after 5hrs of playing the XBA3's at the same volume levels as previously before I am not hearing any loss of sound from either channel, it appears it is indeed a moisture/heat related problem.
I am using triple flange tips, not sure how that might add to the issue but there we go. I might try a different tip and see if the problem persists.
FYI I use triple flange (same size) on all my IEMs and none have had this issue.

Another consideration is altitude. I live in a place called the Blue Mountains in Australia, I reside in the lower region. It's altitude is 163m, but when i travel to work I often go up a further 850-900metres (1030m approx), could this change in altitude contribute to the issue?
Also temperature wise in winter here, we have coldish mornings 0-5degrees and then rises to as much as 22 degrees in the day time (centigrade). Perhaps when it gets warmer and less drastic temps they won't be affected as much.
Will test again on Friday.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Goof sleuthing!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Goof sleuthing!
huh?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So... today I trialled the XBA3's again, this time they were performing fine (about 2.5hrs in) UNTIL I decided to pull the left channel out of my ear and reinsert again (to achieve a better seal again). What happened was I noticed the sound wasn't as good, at first I thought here we go again, but then i thought "this might be because its warm in my ear and cold outside" (prolly between 5-10 degrees), so I took it out my ear and left in a few more seconds before reinsertion, it was WORSE than before.
I'm completely convinced this is a heat/moisture issue that seems to be affecting the left channel only. I tried same thing with the right ear channel but nothing happened, it seemed immune to the hot>cold issue the left channel has.
I can't completely confirm this till the weather warms up but i thought ppl might like to know.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
huh?
Sorry, typo for "good" sleuthing . . . .

If the issue is related to moisture, how about if you put the plugs away in a container with some silicate packs for 2-3 days? Perhaps that could clear up any stubborn moisture in the plugs. Just a thought.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh that's an idea. But how can we be sure its moisture, I mean, if I have isolated the problem to being pulling the IEM out from the ear (after a 2+hr time period), giving it 1-5secs exposure to cooler air and then reinserting and its worse, and if I pull out and leave longer than 1-5 secs the quality gets worse and worse.
Does this equate moisture? Condensation? Temperature sensitivity issues? What exactly is the best guess?