android
Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potheadpixie View Post
Ah, not quite 'anything'butipod then....!
LOL, I've gotta agree with with ya.

Thanks for your review, its good to get a mature comment from someone who's actually seen and heard the AK120.....
I found your post more constructive than
Quote:
This player is an overhyped pos.
Quote:
They chose the name "Astell & Kern" out of thin air, to cater to audiophools who will think that sounds like a "boutique" name, like "Bowers & Wilkins", "Bang & Olufsen" or "Harman / Kardon"
and many other unbacked and irrelevant comments which would be better suited to a schoolyard.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
...and many other unbacked and irrelevant comments which would be better suited to a schoolyard.
Schoolyards are a lot nerdier than I remember them being.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Too bad it's iriver attempting to create a comeback that will never succeed by creating their own boutique brand...''Name it thus and they shall BUY!!!" It's a pos with middling measurements,...go check out the head-fi thread graphs. $1200 well wasted,...get a respectable player & amp it. Or are we dealing with corporate shills disguised as a member/s? Don't make it personal - another member did, I didn't,...or didn't your parents teach you that jumbuk?

Now let me get back to climbing with the other nerds on the playground obstacle course,...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Don't make it personal
Quote:
or didn't your parents teach you that jumbuk?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 AM

...Why?
Clip Zip [4gb+32gb], iriver B100 [4gb+32gb], Cilp+[8gb+8gb], iriver SPINN [4gb], Phillips GoGear SA6000 [8gb], Creative Zen [2gb+4gb], Sansa C200[2gb+2gb], ilo Player [1gb+2gb], mobiblu DAH 220 Cassette MP3 player, Rio Diamond.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
LOL, WAV and FLAC files sound 100 percent identical, and I pity those who think they sound different.
Don't know if its true or not but people claim flac doesn't sound as good as wav because bits can be lost when flac is being played back in real time. And that wav is eaiser for a player to process.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Administrator

People are free to claim what they want. That doesn't make those claims true. A claim of difference of that type that's only supported by the subjective claims of those I consider over financed and under-researched is definitely not enough for me to use as a basis for my codec or spending choices. If a modern playback device is overburdened to the point of audible differences by the decoding speed difference between FLAC and .wav it's broken.

Another, related thought. If this device is so incredibly capable why are some of the people who bought it sending it out to be modded so it works properly? If I'm going to lay out this type of cash for the "King Of Kings!" I would it expect it to work out the box and not need to be modded to achieve a output impedance that would drive my sensitive multi armature with crossover IEMs properly.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 AM

Actually it's the AK100 that people send to be modded, to reduce its 20Ω output impedance. The AK120 (which is the topic here) has a respectable output impedance of just 3Ω. And if the RMAA results for the AK100 are any indication, the AK120 should perform near perfectly.

It sells at a ridiculously high price though: $1,300. That's insane.

Last edited by skamp; 08-09-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Administrator

I agree. I didn't say it needed to be modded. I said people are modding it. You can find RMAA results both at GoldenEars and here. It seems the results with the UE Triple.Fi 10 are what's driving the modders. TBH I don't understand the mindset so I'm not sure. Maybe it's just the thought if they spend more there will be an audible improvement.

Take a look at the headfi thread and RWA. They make it seem as if the output impedance is a major problem. There's also a "S" mod for replacing the WM8740 with the WM8741 among other things. The way the ad reads it makes it seem as if the WM8740 just isn't up to the task of producing decent audio.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan2012 View Post
Don't know if its true or not but people claim flac doesn't sound as good as wav because bits can be lost when flac is being played back in real time. And that wav is eaiser for a player to process.
No, this is not true and not sure where you are getting this information. FLAC files are lossless, so when played back there is no loss of the original recording. Lossy files, however, are vastly different. For the most part, Lossy encoding strips the sections of music files of the parts that humans typically can't differentiate, so it's pretty close to the original recording, but not exactly like it. Going back to Lossless, if you envision them as archived files on a PC, you will get my point. Archived files are the original files that are compressed to a smaller file size, but, when decompressed, they are the same exact files from when they started out from. This is why Lossless encoding uses more battery juice than lossy, because the DAP needs to work "harder" to decompress the music before playback.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan2012 View Post
Just because people claim it does not mean that they are correct.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Wink AK 120 positives

Having recently purchased an AK 120 after having a dealer here loan me one for a few days I read with interest all the negative comments from all of the people who have never heard or even seen this superior piece of equipment. To put it simply the AK 120 blows away all of the various combos of players, dacs and amps from the extensive inventory this dealer carries. He finds it so superior that he also has one for his personal use. After owning this beauty for about a week now I can't imagine ever going back to an iPod, dac amp combo. I consider it money well spent and my hat is off to Iriver for giving me the ability to carry near perfect sound around in my pocket. I can hardly wait for a docking system as what I have heard so far from my home stereo makes me believe this little machine will be replacing a lot of large gear in my living room also. The AK 120 and Klipsch X-10 combo is heaven as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbo View Post
Having recently purchased an AK 120 after having a dealer here loan me one for a few days I read with interest all the negative comments from all of the people who have never heard or even seen this superior piece of equipment. To put it simply the AK 120 blows away all of the various combos of players, dacs and amps from the extensive inventory this dealer carries. He finds it so superior that he also has one for his personal use. After owning this beauty for about a week now I can't imagine ever going back to an iPod, dac amp combo. I consider it money well spent and my hat is off to Iriver for giving me the ability to carry near perfect sound around in my pocket. I can hardly wait for a docking system as what I have heard so far from my home stereo makes me believe this little machine will be replacing a lot of large gear in my living room also. The AK 120 and Klipsch X-10 combo is heaven as far as I'm concerned.
Please don't come here to add bullshit comments to boost up the player. If it's so good Red Wine Audio wouldn't need to mod it. Your "opinion" is wasted on realists,...

Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 PM

Talking Thank you Dark Side

Interesting response but really not very constructive. I do appreciate the link to the mod site though, but I've always felt that a lot of the modding done to audio gear over the years has been the true snake oil of the industry. After many years of listening to all kinds of music and going through many changes in playback equipment I am amazed how good this little machine is. The only drawback is that now I will be spending lots of money on high Rez downloads. Oh well they say you can't take it with you.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
B-B-But...the Klipsch X10 is far from the best-sounding IEM out there...

I mean...it's...affordable! How can you even stand it?

In all seriousness, though: Aside from the fact that the X10s cost a mere 10% of the price of an AK120, I'm surprised you've stopped your search for Nirvana-inducing earphones there. Since you're clearly not shy about dropping wads of cash on a portable audio system, and it's common knowledge that headphones are typically a much bigger factor in altering an audio setup's sound than source selection, I'm a bit puzzled why you haven't ventured further up the earphone ladder. I have a certain fondness for the X10 myself, but I'd never describe it as the best earphone I've listened to, either in terms of technical ability or sheer enjoyability.

Last edited by epithetless; 09-02-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
If it's so good Red Wine Audio wouldn't need to mod it.
That's no argument. Red Wine Audio is an audiophool company (even just the vanity in the name of their company gives it away, trying to convey elite refinedness for rich people with self-professed good taste, that supposedly elevates them above the masses), and they'll mod pretty much anything they can and say anything, just to make money. Their business model is to make people believe that their gear is terribly flawed and that they need to spend hundreds of dollars to have it "fixed". They sell $1,100 cables, for crying out loud!

That said, the AK120 can't improve on anything that didn't need improving to begin with. At best, maybe it ouputs more power (suitable for harder to drive headphones for which an iPod doesn't cut it), and it supports higher sampling rates and bit depths (where an iPod would need to resample). It can't get audibly "higher fidelity" when iPods (and other DAPs) are already "high fidelity". And RMAA measurements show that the AK's don't color the sound, so it doesn't subjectively "improve" the sound either: it's just high fidelity, like other cheaper DAPs.

Last edited by skamp; 09-02-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
The only drawback is that now I will be spending lots of money on high Rez downloads.
The only drawback is that iRiver was foolish enough to charge only $1 300 and not $13 000 for this digital-audio player. The more money paid for a digital-audio player, the better the sound quality. This digital-audio player is based on a myth that has already been debunked.

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index...eId=4&blogId=1,
http://drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf,
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html.

This topic has also been discussed in great detail here at anythingbutipod in multiple threads. Please do a search. And please stop repeating the myth so that members like The DarkSide, Marvin the Martian, skip252, musichound, skamp, epithetless, etc., do not have to debunk it again and again.

Last edited by Enigmatic; 09-02-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: minor

Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So, RWA's mod of the ak100 was/is unnecessary? Not all mods are snake oil. Quite a few may be,...but don't pick a battle that shows ignorance on the subject. Especially since the ak100 & ak120 came out of the gate gimped.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 AM

I'd buy the iRiver if it was 30; I don't see it's being worth more, however.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I'd buy the iRiver if it was 30; I don't see it's being worth more, however.
The voice of reason,...