android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Default 90$ earbud or portable headphone for metal and rock?

Hi everyone

I need an earbud or portable headphone for walks and riding public transportation listening metal and rock, ocassional movie soundtrack music from Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and iRiver T10.
Budget is around 90$.
I want earbuds or portable headphones(on or over ear), do not want IEMs, can't stand them.
Open or closed doesn't really matter.
For reference I have been using Sennheiser MX460 for 5 years with a period of Sony MDR-AS30(really like this behind the neck design).

I've been reading the forum for a few days now and checking the local stores and a couple of online ones to see what's available to me.
I have narrowed the choice down to these models(of course, if you have a better recommendation, fire away ) that have acceptable design and price.

Audio-Technica ATH-SJ55BK, ATH-CKP200
AKG K 430
AKG K 518 DJ
AKG K514 mkII
AKG K450/451
Sennheiser PMX685i
BEYERDYNAMIC DTX-710
Grado iGrado
Sennheiser PMX90
Sennheiser HD 419
JVC HA-S500
Sennheiser MX 985, I can get these for 70$, which is a really good discount if I understand right.
They are the reason that I have started the quest for new phones and the real question is if any of the other headphones have better SQ?

I want the best SQ and possibly durability for my budget.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Late reply, but if you can get Sennheiser MX985 for $70 it's a no-brainer! I've got the earlier model MX980, and these are amazing earbuds. They truly sound like full sized headphones.
Of the other headphones you mention, I've only heard the AKG K518 DJ and it's good for portable use. While the K518 has got plenty of bass, my MX980 beats the K518 in detail and bass quality. Also you get a bigger soundstage with the MX980/985
DAP collection:Cowon S9; Cowon X5V; Creative Zen Vision M; Creative Zen Touch; iRiver H120; JVC XA-HD500; Kenwood HD20GA7; Rio Carbon; Rio Karma; Samsung YH-J70; Sansa Clip+; Sansa View; Sony HD5; Toshiba Gigabeat F20
Earphones:too many to mention...

Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM

He asked the same question on Head-Fi - my aswer.

I got a couple of weeks ago the OMX980 (new) for less than €50, including shipping. A good deal?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

JVC HA-S500 for teh WIN!!!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
JVC HA-S500 for teh WIN!!!
+1

Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM

You say you don't want IEMs but they're really the only way to get good sound quality on public transit. You need at least some passive noise isolation, or it won't matter if you spend 20 bucks or 100.

Open headphones are a pretty bad choice since you will just annoy other people on the bus with your music while you try to raise the volume enough to compete with the normal sounds of transit.

Since you listen to metal / rock it's slightly less of a problem, but I find with anything other than IEMs I can't hear half the notes in classical music. If you listen to older rock and metal where some notes are quiet, you won't hear them on the bus.

The JVCs at least look like they have closed backs, so probably not that bad to go with them. Plus you can put them around your neck and pretend to be cool when you're not using them. Hipster seal of approval hehe ^^