android
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Hey all guys! I'm still alive, don't worry The point is that I'm busy outside here hihi
Anyways, as lebellium pointed out, i'm still working on the port to this beautiful player.
Now I'm working to adapt rbutil (the rockbox installer with many automatic goodies) to it
Next steps will be working on radio recording and finally to the manual (to set our device to STABLE!)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Hi,

I just installed v2.51 & RockBox. As far as I can see, everything (still ) works fine! The dual-boot menu is really cl!

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this possible!

Before v2.51, I had v2.20 installed for almost 2 years. After installing v2.51, my "Sysdata" was gone, but I was able to restore it, so I have again my fonts, no power-on/off sounds, and a colored battery icon. However, the settings were lost after installing v2.51, and the DRK method (renaming "Restore_settings_DONE" to "Restore_settings") didn't work. Was the DRK removed from v2.51, and is there now another option to save/restore the settings?

BTW: I'm new to RockBox - so I wonder how can I save bookmarks. This would be very useful for podcasts.
I set the option "Bookmark on Stop" to "Ask", but so far RockBox never asked me to save a bookmark. Which button do I have to press to "stop" playback, so RockBox will ask me whether to save a bookmark?

BTW 2 (OT): Does anybody know if it's possible to use 64 GB SD Cards in the R0? My 16 GB internal + 32 GB SD card are almost full...

Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbi View Post
Hi,

I just installed v2.51 & RockBox. As far as I can see, everything (still ) works fine! The dual-boot menu is really cl!

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this possible!
Welcome to Rockbox! Better late than never

Quote:
Before v2.51, I had v2.20 installed for almost 2 years. After installing v2.51, my "Sysdata" was gone, but I was able to restore it, so I have again my fonts, no power-on/off sounds, and a colored battery icon. However, the settings were lost after installing v2.51, and the DRK method (renaming "Restore_settings_DONE" to "Restore_settings") didn't work. Was the DRK removed from v2.51, and is there now another option to save/restore the settings?
IIRC DRK has been removed from v2.51. As v2.51 is much "Rockbox-oriented", we did not think some people would still need the DRK features for the Samsung app.
You can do it manually though. Safe Mode>NEO-GHOST>Registry. There you'll see those *.ini files. Just replace them with yours from the SETTINGS folder.

Quote:
BTW: I'm new to RockBox - so I wonder how can I save bookmarks. This would be very useful for podcasts.
I set the option "Bookmark on Stop" to "Ask", but so far RockBox never asked me to save a bookmark. Which button do I have to press to "stop" playback, so RockBox will ask me whether to save a bookmark?
The Rockbox manual for R0 is not ready yet but you can have a look at another Rockbox manual, these settings are the same accross the different rockbox targets:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...#x11-1480008.7

Otherwise, while you're playing a song>long press on the selection button>bookmarks>create bookmarks.

Quote:
BTW 2 (OT): Does anybody know if it's possible to use 64 GB SD Cards in the R0? My 16 GB internal + 32 GB SD card are almost full...
Yes it's possible but they have to be reformatted in FAT32 instead of the default ex-FAT.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Hi lebellium,

thanks for your reply. I see - I'll have to RTFM; for example, I wasn't aware that long-pressing the center button opens a context menu. So now I can save bookmarks manually, that's good.

Since I use my R0 to listen to both music and podcasts, I'd like the player to automatically remember the last playback position of each file in the podcast folder (nevertheless if I stop playback or skip to the next track), and in the music folder, it should only remember the position in the recently played file - optimally for each subfolder (album). Is this possible using the bookmark feature?

In the manual, I read that bookmarks are created automatically "on Stop"; however, the R0 doesn't seem to have a "Stop" button; playback can only be paused, but this doesn't seem to create a bookmark.

Regarding the DRK feature of the firmware - that's OK if it's possible to save/restore the *.ini files manually (I didn't know that).

And as for 64 GB SD cards: That's really good that this works! IIRC, the free "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" can do the job (formatting big cards in FAT32). Are there any recommendations for good cards? Recently I had bad luck with a 32 GB microSDHC card from SanDisk, so I'm a bit skeptic about this brand...

Stefan

Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Since I use my R0 to listen to both music and podcasts, I'd like the player to automatically remember the last playback position of each file in the podcast folder (nevertheless if I stop playback or skip to the next track), and in the music folder, it should only remember the position in the recently played file - optimally for each subfolder (album). Is this possible using the bookmark feature?
Honestly I never use the bookmark feature. I can't tell you much more about it than the Rockbox manual. But I don't think it's possible to do what you want.

Quote:
In the manual, I read that bookmarks are created automatically "on Stop"; however, the R0 doesn't seem to have a "Stop" button; playback can only be paused, but this doesn't seem to create a bookmark.
Long press on power button stops playback. Take some time to discover all R0 keymapping

Quote:
Regarding the DRK feature of the firmware - that's OK if it's possible to save/restore the *.ini files manually (I didn't know that).
Well, now that you tried Rockbox, you will never come back to the original firmware so settings files are not that important

Quote:
And as for 64 GB SD cards: That's really good that this works! IIRC, the free "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" can do the job (formatting big cards in FAT32). Are there any recommendations for good cards? Recently I had bad luck with a 32 GB microSDHC card from SanDisk, so I'm a bit skeptic about this brand...
Stefan
Sandisk is probably the most famous brand and does pretty good job. They are generally not so expensive and reliable. I guess you were just unlucky, it's worth giving it a 2nd try. Of course pay attention to the many fakes on the market. It's sometimes better to pay a few more on amazon.de than trying to get it as cheap as possible on ebay and in the end getting a fake card.
Transcend, Samsung and Kingston are also advisable brands for microSD cards.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Honestly I never use the bookmark feature. I can't tell you much more about it than the Rockbox manual. But I don't think it's possible to do what you want.
I think I found a solution: Instead of bookmarks, I enabled the Automatic resume feature, and set "Resume on automatic track change" to "In custom directories only" and selected my podcasts folder here. So I can switch between podcasts and continue listening at the recent playback position without manually creating bookmarks.

Quote:
Long press on power button stops playback. Take some time to discover all R0 keymapping
Ah, OK, but isn't this a bit dangorous? Because if the Power button is pressed a little too long, the player is shut down...

Quote:
Well, now that you tried Rockbox, you will never come back to the original firmware so settings files are not that important
Well, I'm not quite sure... For audio files this might be true, but the FM radio in Rockbox IMHO sucks: Scanning needs twice as long as in the Samsung FW, and it finds only very few stations. So for listening radio, I still boot to the Samsung app.

Quote:
Sandisk is probably the most famous brand and does pretty good job. They are generally not so expensive and reliable. I guess you were just unlucky, it's worth giving it a 2nd try. Of course pay attention to the many fakes on the market. It's sometimes better to pay a few more € on amazon.de than trying to get it as cheap as possible on ebay and in the end getting a fake card.
Transcend, Samsung and Kingston are also advisable brands for microSD cards.
The 32 GB Class 10 card which made problems in my LG phone after some weeks I had bought at Amazon. Another 16 GB card from SanDisk which costed twice as much is working in my phone for 2 years now without any problems. - OK, I think I will try the Transcend or Samsung card...

Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 PM

Hi all,

I replaced the icon set of the "cabbiev2" theme (the default theme of the R0 port of Rockbox) with the icons from the "Rayboradio_ypr0" theme, and also replaced the WPS backdrop with a modified version (status bar background, no RB logo), and this is the result:

130713200841.jpg 130713201043.jpg

(The icons are actually grey.)

Some questions:

1. How can I make the subitems make "indented". Currently they seem to be on the same level as the root item ("Rockbox" on the left image, "Pop & Rock" on the right)? Is there a parameter for this in the theme .cfg file?

2. In the WPS of the "cabbiev2" theme, the Shuffle icon is always grey, even if i turn Shuffle on in the QuickScreen. Is this a known bug of the theme? In another theme (e.g. Pen & Paper) the Shuffle icon is displayed correctly.

3. Folder names of 3 letters are displayed with all lower case, e.g. "BAP" -> "bap", "ELO" -> "elo", "OMD" -> "omd", etc. Why is this so, and can this be changed? In the original R0 player, and also in Windows, they are displayed correctly with upper case.

4. How can I add more QuickScreen items, e.g. "Show Files"?

Thanks!

Last edited by stbi; 07-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Some questions:

1. How can I make the subitems make "indented". Currently they seem to be on the same level as the root item ("Rockbox" on the left image, "Pop & Rock" on the right)? Is there a parameter for this in the theme .cfg file?
This is because the scrollbar is disabled or set to the right. You can change that on device in settings>theme settings>status-/scrollbar>scroll bar and select Left. Or in the theme .cfg file you can add/modify the line
"scrollbar: left"

Quote:
2. In the WPS of the "cabbiev2" theme, the Shuffle icon is always grey, even if i turn Shuffle on in the QuickScreen. Is this a known bug of the theme? In another theme (e.g. Pen & Paper) the Shuffle icon is displayed correctly.
That's a bug indeed, but was not known. Actually it's even quite surprising that nobody noticed it before^^
I reported it to the devs, it will be fixed soon in a coming build.
If you can't wait, just open cabbiev2.wps in a text editor and change line 15 to "%xl(D,shuffle-240x320x16.bmp,0,0)".

Quote:
3. Folder names of 3 letters are displayed with all lower case, e.g. "BAP" -> "bap", "ELO" -> "elo", "OMD" -> "omd", etc. Why is this so, and can this be changed? In the original R0 player, and also in Windows, they are displayed correctly with upper case.
I don't know why, you should ask the devs. I also have this issue but not necessarily 3 letters folders. "acdc" instead of "ACDC" for example. And that doesn't really annoy me.

Quote:
4. How can I add more QuickScreen items, e.g. "Show Files"?
Long press on the selection button>set as xxx quickscreen item

PS:
I'm nice so I replied to you BUT this thread is about the specific R0 Rockbox port, not about Rockbox in general. That means that it is not the good place for questions about Rockbox in general and themes. You should rather ask these questions on the Rockbox forum or on the Rockbox IRC #Rockbox.
Hope you understand

Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
This is because the scrollbar is disabled or set to the right.
OK, I see... so the indention is only dependent on the scrollbar...

Quote:
If you can't wait, just open cabbiev2.wps in a text editor and change line 15 to "%xl(D,shuffle-240x320x16.bmp,0,0)".
Cool, thanks - now it works!

Quote:
I also have this issue but not necessarily 3 letters folders. "acdc" instead of "ACDC" for example. And that doesn't really annoy me.
OK, then it seems that if a name consists of upper case letters only, then the letters are converted to lower case. Well, it doesn't really annoy me either; I was just wondering...

Quote:
I'm nice so I replied to you BUT this thread is about the specific R0 Rockbox port, not about Rockbox in general. That means that it is not the good place for questions about Rockbox in general and themes. You should rather ask these questions on the Rockbox forum or on the Rockbox IRC #Rockbox.
Hope you understand
OK, thanks and sorry for abusing this thread for my newbie questions; I'll stop this immediately. Maybe a moderator can split the thread at #1122 ...

Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Hi there,

I'm using this Rockbox port now for some days, and I noticed that I didn't use the original Samsung software anymore. Even the FM radio is very cool since I discovered how easy it is to create and use different preset files (I use Excel to create/edit them ). I had some rare crashes while listening to radio - hopefully it's not the old RDS bug labellium mentioned in his theme thread.

Rockbox is also very useful for listening to podcasts - especially the "Auto resume" feature and the "Compressor" feature (for podcasts with very loud music mixed with low speech).

The only thing I'm missing is that the "Left" and "Right" keys don't scroll a full page back/forth in lists (files, presets, etc.). I know that there's an option for "Paged Scrolling", but this doesnt prevent the selection bar from skipping up/down line by line (which is sometimes slow).

So my question is: is it only a matter of key mapping to make this "page up/page down" behavior work just like in the original Samsung software (Left = page up, Right = page down)? If yes, could this perhaps be changed in the next build?

Old 07-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
So my question is: is it only a matter of key mapping to make this "page up/page down" behavior work just like in the original Samsung software (Left = page up, Right = page down)? If yes, could this perhaps be changed in the next build?
Nope, this just doesn't exist in Rockbox, whatever the target (R0 or another player). It's not a matter of keymapping.
You can speed up the scrolling with "paged scrolling" and "list acceleration speed" but you can't reproduce the behavior of OF.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:09 PM

OK, thanks. I have already enabled "paged scrolling" and the other option, but I'd prefer the behavior of the original R0 player. Technically it should be easily possible, and maybe there's a patch somewhere out there. Perhaps it will come in a future release...

BTW, how can I see what's new in a Rockbox build which can be downloaded here? Are there any changelogs?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Technically it should be easily possible, and maybe there's a patch somewhere out there. Perhaps it will come in a future release...
Technically it's probably possible but it looks like you don't really know how Rockbox works. It's not because something is possible that it will come to reality. The most important thing is the motivation and interest of developers. If nobody is interested in or has time to work on that -and that's probably the case- you can only count on yourself to implement it.

I can tell you that nobody is currently working on that (why would someone be working on that BTW? Do you really think that many Rockbox devs have a R0 and know how it behaves with the OF and actually miss this behavior right now in 2013 while the Rockbox project is 10 years old? ) so obviously it won't come in a future release unless you do the job yourself or convince a dev to do it.

The place to be if you want to follow what's going on, to talk with developers, to try to convince them to work on something or to get help is definitely the IRC #Rockbox: http://www.rockbox.org/irc/
Once again, this is about Rockbox in general and has nothing to do with the R0 port (except keymapping) and therefore is rather off-topic here

Quote:
BTW, how can I see what's new in a Rockbox build which can be downloaded here? Are there any changelogs?
You can see all latest changes on the homepage here: http://www.rockbox.org/
You can see more changes (since last release, last four weeks) here: http://www.rockbox.org/recent.shtml#code
And if you want to see older commits, it's here: http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=shortlog
If you want to see only commits specific to the R0: http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.gi...st=commit&s=R0

Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 AM

Hi guys, it has been a long time now since rockbox for R0 came out...It's time to add some fresh features
In a few I'm going to introduce the FM radio RECORDING and the automatic SD card mount (to say, you can change sd cards and they will be automatically mounted and available)

Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Good news.

Talking of SD cards, I bought a 64GO card and it works perfectly.
Thanks Lebellium for your comment.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appick View Post
Good news.
Indeed! (Although it's already perfect for me as it is.)

Quote:
Talking of SD cards, I bought a 64GO card and it works perfectly.
For how long have you been using your 64 GB card now?

Mine appeared defect after using it for 6 weeks in my R0. In Windows Explorer it showed "garbage" characters in each folder. Luckily, reformatting it with "SDFormatter" (the official formatting tool of the SD Association) reanimated the card. Other formatting tools than this one didn't work.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Also for me 64Gb card worked perfectly (but i tested it for only 2-3 days).
@stbi: It could be also a file system issue, we should try the NTFS instead of FAT for microsd bigger than 8/16Gb.
If i remember correctly needed modules are already included in the firmware, but probably it won't mount the card automatically and, even if it mount them, i don't know if there is the read/write support.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanniX View Post
Also for me 64Gb card worked perfectly (but i tested it for only 2-3 days).
@stbi: It could be also a file system issue, we should try the NTFS instead of FAT for microsd bigger than 8/16Gb.
If i remember correctly needed modules are already included in the firmware, but probably it won't mount the card automatically and, even if it mount them, i don't know if there is the read/write support.
I also think that it was a filesystem issue, as the card wasn't damaged physically. Automounting NTFS filesystems should be possible via /etc/fstab (at least this works on other Linux systems like Raspbian etc.).

P.S.: Why do I get a ...

Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/newreply.php on this server.
... when I write "/etc/fstab" without obfuscating it...?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Indeed! (Although it's already perfect for me as it is.)

For how long have you been using your 64 GB card now?

Mine appeared defect after using it for 6 weeks in my R0. In Windows Explorer it showed "garbage" characters in each folder. Luckily, reformatting it with "SDFormatter" (the official formatting tool of the SD Association) reanimated the card. Other formatting tools than this one didn't work.

I've been using it for about two months now virtually every day. My first step I botched up when I wanted to format it in Fat32 because I didn't wait long enough. Anyway, I downloaded a programme to fix it and I haven't looked back. Perhaps you could use the programme I used. I think it was HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (I was even having problems with SDFormatter).

PS I just re-read your earlier comment where you mention using it!!!

Last edited by Appick; 10-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
[...] I think it was HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (I was even having problems with SDFormatter).

PS I just re-read your earlier comment where you mention using it!!!
Yes, this was my first - but unsuccessful! -attempt. I then used Fat32Formatter which managed to format the card with FAT32, giving a formatted space of 59 GiB. (As far as I remember, FAT32format and H2format worked as well.) But after the filesystem was damaged for some unknown reason, none of these tools was able to repair it. I first had to format it with exFAT using SD Formatter, then the other tools were able to re-format it with FAT32. The Transcend support told me that SD Formatter would read the "hardware identifier" of the SD card and then (among other things) write a new partition table, which the other tools don't do...

Tags
r0, rockbox, samsung yp-r0