android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 AM

Default Sansa Clip Zip - radio comes (and stays) on automatically when computer switched off

Hi All

First-time poster and non-technical, so hope someone can help me with this.

If my wife leaves her Sansa Clip Zip plugged in to the computer (MSC mode, Windows Seven) and the computer is switched off, the Clip's radio comes on and stays on, thus draining the battery to zero.This has happened twice now, draining the battery before her morning run.

Just investigating further now: when I "safely remove" the device, the "Connected" message and icon remain on the Clip's screen, but when I physically disconnect the cable music playback resumes. (Not FM radio.) Again, presumably this would lead to the battery draining.

Two questions:

a) Is this normal behaviour? (I've tried it on my laptop too - exactly the same.) If it's normal, I can't see the benefit, to be honest. Are you just supposed to remember to disconnect it (or switch it off again after disconnecting it)?

b) Are there any settings that would stop it doing this? I've tried setting both Power Saver and Sleep to 5 minutes with the radio playing and they don't seem to have any effect. I have looked around in the menus for any other options that might have an effect but couldn't find any. Can't help feeling that I'm overlooking something really obvious, though ...

The player seems to work fine in every other respect.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM

I think it's normal. The player turns on when charging, if you use a wall charger and inadvertently kill the power because the power outlet is controlled by a wall switch the unit may discharge as well.
Disconnect the unit before switching the power/computer off.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 AM

If the unit is on PAUSE, the Power Saver will shut the player off at the preset time. If it's playing that won't work, however the Sleep setting would.

However, having said that, I don't believe what you describe is normal; at least that's not what I have experienced with mine. You might try updating (or re-applying) the firmware and see if this behavior continues.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Colin1970:

Based on my experience, this sounds perfectly normal for the Sansa players. But for a test, here's what I did
  1. start Zip playing radio
  2. turn it off
  3. plug it into a computer (laptop, desktop should be no difference), and it turns on with Connected screen
  4. unplug (to simulate computer turning off), and radio is now playing

Are there any options to prevent this? I doubt it. The player is on while connected to the computer, presumably because it needs to be on if the player is going to be updated, and stays on afterwards. Setting the Sleep Timer to a time after the computer is turned off might work, but 5 minutes won't do it unless you're about to turn the computer off.

Steve

Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wonder what happens if you put the player last on pause before connecting to the computer--will it then go back to pause, and then time out (assuming that you have the Power Saver set under the settings), after the computer goes off? (I haven't tried this out--you might want to try it.)

Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I wonder what happens if you put the player last on pause before connecting to the computer--will it then go back to pause, and then time out (assuming that you have the Power Saver set under the settings), after the computer goes off? (I haven't tried this out--you might want to try it.)
That is what is supposed to happen. When you disconnect the player, it should return to whatever mode it was in before connecting, and if it was playing it should be playing, and if it was paused it should be paused. Pausing it before connecting should mean that if you forget about it and turn off the pc, the player will turn itself off after the time you set for the power saver. I always pause the player before I connect it.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the confirmation. And so the solution is simple: simply pause/stop the player before connecting to the computer (and also make sure to have the time-out under the player's Settings set).

Easy!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I checked again today, and the solution is indeed to pause the player before connecting so that it remains paused when disconnected. It then powers off after the time set for the power saver.

Fantastic little device BTW - I've already put Rockbox on mine (yes we're a two-Zip family), I'm going to get a 32GB card and retire my cantankerous Cowon X5, as IMHO the sound quality on the Sansa is as close as makes no difference (at least to my ears).

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1970 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I checked again today, and the solution is indeed to pause the player before connecting so that it remains paused when disconnected. It then powers off after the time set for the power saver.

Fantastic little device BTW - I've already put Rockbox on mine (yes we're a two-Zip family), I'm going to get a 32GB card and retire my cantankerous Cowon X5, as IMHO the sound quality on the Sansa is as close as makes no difference (at least to my ears).
The Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip charge much faster using Rockbox than the original firmware. With Rockbox, you can charge the player with a pc and listen to music at the same time. You just need to hold down any button on the player while connecting.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip charge much faster using Rockbox than the original firmware. With Rockbox, you can charge the player with a pc and listen to music at the same time. You just need to hold down any button on the player while connecting.
Doesn't that boot the player into the OF?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I've never understood why you'd want to do this. When the player is connected, you could just play the files on the player through the PC's media player, not to mention the fact that most likely those same files would already be on the PC and available to play.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
It boots the original firmware if you hold down the left button while turning it on. If it is on using Rockbox, then holding down any button while connecting will prevent a data connection.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've never understood why you'd want to do this. When the player is connected, you could just play the files on the player through the PC's media player, not to mention the fact that most likely those same files would already be on the PC and available to play.
Any number of reasons. There's not always a wall charger available and the only source of USB power available to keep the music going is a PC or notebook. Different PCs connect differently and have a wide variety of audio capabilities. There's a number of PCs and netbooks I've connected to that have terrible headphone out. Sometimes it's bad to the point where patching the headphone out to a powered set of speakers distorts badly or the internal noises from the PC are audible. Headphone out to aux in after establishing a USB power only connection in Rockbox let's you charge and play using a notebook that would sound lousy playing the files directly.

Not only that I have friends that I visit and use their PC to charge while I play music I definitely prefer not to have a data connection. They use WMP exclusively and the only way to play my files would through that. Bleh! I'm don't need WMP doing any of that sneaky crap to my files it's known to do.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Quote:
It boots the original firmware if you hold down the left button while turning it on. If it is on using Rockbox, then holding down any button while connecting will prevent a data connection.

Ah, that clarifies things then. Thanks.