android
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM

Default Clip+ Locking up on database refresh

So I've been having a problem for several versions of Rockbox now (since 3.10, 3.11 maybe?) wherein my Clip+ locks up after refreshing the database.
When I've added new music, I then wait for the disk access icon to disappear before I reboot the Clip+ to get the "Committing Database 1/9" display or whatever it is. If I manually shut down the Clip+, it locks up on the "Shutting down..." screen. If I leave it to shut off automatically, the display turns on and then the Clip+ locks up showing the most recently used menu screen. In both these cases, the device does not respond to any inputs, but if I hold the power buttons for ~15 seconds it will finally turn off; when I push the power button again the device boots and functions normally.

There just seems to be something going on when the database refresh finishes that's causing everything to hang, and like I said I haven't always had this problem. Been using Rockbox on the Clip+ since either just before or just after it entered "stable" status, and aside from the version upgrades I've made no major system changes (swapped microSD cards, etc.) that could contribute to this behavior. I can't say for sure, but I also feel like this problem appeared a while after upgrading Rockbox, so it doesn't seem to be immediately related to moving to a new version.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 AM

Did you tried to remove DB files?

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM

I haven't; I was wondering if there is some way of forcefully re-creating the database from scratch, but since I haven't poked around too much with Rockbox's innards I wasn't sure if I could do it without possibly borking my installation.

Which files are okay to delete?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator

You don't say which build you're using now. There's been changes made since the older builds you mention that have the database work much better than it did then.

There's no need to manually delete old database files if you use the Initialize function of the database to update. That wipes out the older database files and starts you off fresh.

The first thing to do is to update to the current development build, initialize the database and see if the problem persists. I usually use a relatively recent development build and don't have any problems with the database unless I use autoupdate. That creates duplicate entries in the database for me.

One last thing, if you save the .rockbox folder that's at the root of your current setup it can always be put back if you don't like the results of an update. Despite what some think a Rockbox installation doesn't break that easily and can usually be repaired by just copying a new build to the root of the player. If there's a setting that's causing a problem deleting the .cfg file or having a set of known good settings saved as a .cfg and "playing" that usually fixes most problems.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using the stable release of 3.13, and I just realized I had auto-update turned on. I've disabled it and initialized the database in the menu, and the problem seems to have gone away. I'll keep tabs on it.

Regarding the current development build, is there much reason for a non-tester to run that versus the latest stable build? Aside from the freezing issue, I've had no other problems with just using the latest stable release when it comes out.

And thanks for the hint about the .rockbox folder; I'll definitely be doing that each time I try a new version (although if I understand correctly, the Rockbox Utility can also back up the previous version when installing a new one, right?).

Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Administrator

I usually use a recent dev build but each person should use whatever build they prefer. If you ever have an issue with the release version and check in at the Rockbox forums the standard advice will be to update to the dev build. If there was a bug that was filed and fixed the fix will be in the dev build not the release. The dev build is frozen and bug fixes aren't back ported.

To me the "stable" Release represents code that sometimes hasn't been updated in months vs. all the updates http://www.rockbox.org/since-release.html that have been done since the Release was built. I've very rarely had an issue with a dev build and have frequently found useful features that took quite a while to make it into the Release version.

The automated installer can create backups but I find a simple copy/paste of the .rockbox folder to be much simpler and quicker. By the time I light up the installer I can have created the backup manually with no need to connect to a PC. I just use the context menu to create a folder and move the files right on the player. Knowing how to do that let's me test drive a build or fix an issue if I don't like a feature a new build brings.

How each person deals with Rockbox is a matter of preference. I've never found that there's a right or wrong way to do that. I have a fair amount of experience setting it up in a way that works best for me. Part of that has been trying different ways that aren't always included in the manual. Sometimes it's worked, other times it's brought about some real WTF!!! moments. You'll want to work out what works best for you.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsl View Post
So I've been having a problem for several versions of Rockbox now (since 3.10, 3.11 maybe?) wherein my Clip+ locks up after refreshing the database.
When I've added new music, I then wait for the disk access icon to disappear before I reboot the Clip+ to get the "Committing Database 1/9" display or whatever it is. If I manually shut down the Clip+, it locks up on the "Shutting down..." screen. If I leave it to shut off automatically, the display turns on and then the Clip+ locks up showing the most recently used menu screen. In both these cases, the device does not respond to any inputs, but if I hold the power buttons for ~15 seconds it will finally turn off; when I push the power button again the device boots and functions normally.

There just seems to be something going on when the database refresh finishes that's causing everything to hang, and like I said I haven't always had this problem. Been using Rockbox on the Clip+ since either just before or just after it entered "stable" status, and aside from the version upgrades I've made no major system changes (swapped microSD cards, etc.) that could contribute to this behavior. I can't say for sure, but I also feel like this problem appeared a while after upgrading Rockbox, so it doesn't seem to be immediately related to moving to a new version.

Can anybody shed some
led light on this? Thanks!
Have you sorted it out? I have upgraded Rockbox and facing similar problem.. Can you tell the way to solve it?Please reply thanks in advance

Last edited by MiltonButler; 07-12-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

This post outlines the steps gsl took to resolve their issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsl View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently using the stable release of 3.13, and I just realized I had auto-update turned on. I've disabled it and initialized the database in the menu, and the problem seems to have gone away. I'll keep tabs on it.

Regarding the current development build, is there much reason for a non-tester to run that versus the latest stable build? Aside from the freezing issue, I've had no other problems with just using the latest stable release when it comes out.

And thanks for the hint about the .rockbox folder; I'll definitely be doing that each time I try a new version (although if I understand correctly, the Rockbox Utility can also back up the previous version when installing a new one, right?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonButler View Post
Have you sorted it out? I have upgraded Rockbox and facing similar problem.. Can you tell the way to solve it?Please reply thanks in advance
As for the questions about why I usually use the Development build instead of the "stable" Release it's because I know that stable in Rockbox doesn't mean what most people think it does. It's my experience that Stable in rockbox translates older code that hasn't any updates or bug fixes.

Rockbox developers don't wait to until a Release to add and update code. That means if you have the dev build immediately before the Release you have everything that's in the release. That dev build won't perform any better or worse than the release. Most often when I've checked the release notes I've had the features that are listed there as part of what I've been using for months.

The database improvements I mentioned was one of those. I noted that it was mentioned in the since 4 weeks http://www.rockbox.org/since-4weeks.html and updated. i found thae improvements to be dramatic and added using the database to my routine. I would have missed using those improvements for several weeks if I had waited.

Once again, everyone should use what makes them most comfortable. Using the dev build and knowing how to easily revert to another known good build is what works for me. I have a folder on my players holding the build I prefer and just copy/paste it over the one I want to change. That lets me test drive builds and not lose my settings. If someone else prefers to wait until a build listed as stable comes along and only update then they should. I'm just not fond of waiting for improvements I could be enjoying now when it's so easy to make nearly risk free improvements that only take a few minutes.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

When you update the database manually in Rockbox on the Clip+ it does it in the background. How do you know when it is finished updating?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Updating the database causes disk activity. The disk icon lights up when the disk is active. When the database refresh is finished the disk activity icon turns off.

You could also go into System=>Debug(Keep Out!)=>View Database Info and check the database status there. I don't worry about the keep out warning. I've found there's are a few things you can change in there but any changes I've made have reverted whenever I rebooted. The rest is just info that might be useful if you know how to use it for troubleshooting.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't recall seeing any disk icon on my Clip+ or Clip Zip. Do only some themes display it?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Administrator

The icon is theme and screen specific. In the default Cabbie V2 theme on the Clips it looks like a lightning bolt with an arrow in the right hand corner of the status bar. If you disable the status bar it won't be visible. Other themes will have it in different places using different icons and frequently not show it at all in the WPS.

It also lights up when files are being transferred or read when connected to a PC. It changes to a AC plug symbol when it's a charge only connection.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm using the runner theme on my Clip+ and Clip Zip. I guess it isn't displayed.

I guess I should try checking the System=>Debug(Keep Out!)=>View Database next time. There is some interesting information in the player debug menu, such as the month when the player was made, and the flash memory speed(my Clip+ and Clip Zip say 25 Megabit/sec, around 3.12 MB/sec.