android
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM

Default Removing the clip from a Clip Zip

Can anyone tell me whether I'd likely encounter any problems removing the clip on a Clip Zip (odd question I know)? I saw someone comment that the hinge might be inset into the case, which is somewhat concerning. Presumably if I do it I'll have to rechristen it the Sansa Zip.

Last edited by All-a-Mort; 06-07-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: My stupidity

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The clip doesn't come off easily. If you want to, you could take a saw and cut it off. Why mutilate a good player though? After removing the clip there is a good chance that you will regret it. If you don't want to use the clip now, then just ignore it.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I gotta agree with JK98....I can't imagine my Zips without their clips. The only Clip+ I ever had that suffered a broken clip was sold within a week....it was useless to me without the clip.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm planning to stick it via dual lock tape to a Fiio E11 and with the clip it makes it a good 5-6mm higher than without (and so 10mm off the surface of the E11). Granted the case for needing an amp with a clip zip is debatable, but I'm really wanting to exploit the E11's bass boost as my Shure SRH440s are very very neutral sounding (despite that I do love them however).

Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-a-Mort View Post
Granted the case for needing an amp with a clip zip is debatable, but I'm really wanting to exploit the E11's bass boost as my Shure SRH440s are very very neutral sounding (despite that I do love them however).
Couldn't you just adjust the EQ or BASS settings on the player instead? "Neutral" or "flat" sounding is a goal all headphones (should) aspire to. If you like your music "colored" then that is what the EQ is for.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Except that, the Clip's adjustable EQ is, in my opinion, just crud.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like the Shure headphone's generally neutral flavour and the clarity they provide (I spent a long period comparing the frequency graphs on headphone.com), but the DIY style production on some of the music I listen to makes the music source sound very tinny and one dimensional.

I could possibly rely on EQ settings; I have already stuck rockbox on it to provide better options for customising the sound and greater volume (minus the EU volume limit). I suppose I was tempted to get the E11 coming from using my Galaxy S and Galaxy S 3 as music players and finding them rather underpowered.

At any rate, back to the original question: Can I feasibly just break or cut off the clip and gently sand the remains down without it damaging the integrity of the case?
Using cans on my head, I never wear them walking about, only ever on trains, at the office etc. So I have no need to clip the player to something whilst 'on the go' as such.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
At any rate, back to the original question: Can I feasibly just break or cut off the clip and gently sand the remains down without it damaging the integrity of the case?
Yes, you can. The visual quality of the final result will depend on your level of workmanship, but you can certainly break the clip off and file down the remains without the case falling apart on you. This has been done by at least a few members with the Clip+, and the Clip Zip doesn't look all that structurally different clip-wise.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Don't know if I'd just charge right in and try to "break it off' though. A bit more careful planning and finesse with appropriate tools I'm sure would result in a more aesthetically pleasing mod.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Don't know if I'd just charge right in and try to "break it off' though. A bit more careful planning and finesse with appropriate tools I'm sure would result in a more aesthetically pleasing mod.
True. Wield your sledgehammers with care.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Except that, the Clip's adjustable EQ is, in my opinion, just crud.
That's why we Rockbox....well, it's one of many, many reasons...lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Instead of taping a mutilated Clip to a portable headphone amp, you could put a thick rubber band on the amp and then clip the player to the rubber band. That seems like a much better idea than mutilating the player. Later if you decide not to use the amp, the clip will be there for you to use.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 PM

I do exactly what you suggest sometimes JK98. Rubber bands from brocolli in the supermarket work the best.

But I believe All-a-Mort was wanting to eliminate some of the bulk, or overall thickness of the player + clip as well, of which the clip portion does add some.

Last edited by Tapeworm; 06-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I do exactly what you suggest sometimes JK98. Rubber bands from brocolli in the supermarket work the best.

But I believe All-a-Mort was wanting to eliminate some of the bulk, or overall thickness of the player + clip as well, or which the clip portion does add some.
Yup. I'm looking to lower the profile of the clip and the whole ensemble. I doubt I'd ever use the clip and with dual lock stuck to it I can just mount another strip anywhere solid I'd want to attach it to. The heavy weight of my coiled headphone cable makes using the clip on the Zip pretty difficult anyway as it pulls it squint.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Aren't the broccoli rubber bands the best?!?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM

So, I did remove the clip. It was easy enough to remove, though I had to do it in sections using some clippers rather than a saw (couldn't find one suitable). Filing down the remains of the hinge etc was rather a lengthy and dull business though. It rather scratched the back, but since that is now covered with dual lock tape, I don't much mind. Now I need to leave it 72 hours for the adhesive to cure.

Lowering the profile by removing the clip makes it much more feasible to put the amp and clip combined in a pocket. As far as I can tell it has survived my efforts to knacker it, but then at a relatively low unit price, if it did fail or (heaven forbid) does fail in the future, it is cheap to replace compared to an iPod.

However I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it unless intending to cover up the exposed back of the Zip. Well, unless you make a neater job of it than me.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well done. Would love to see some pictures of the finished package once everything's cured and attached.

Quote:
However I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it unless intending to cover up the exposed back of the Zip. Well, unless you make a neater job of it than me.
Yeah, this sounds like the perfect situation for a Dremel. I keep meaning to Dremel down the remnants of my Clip+'s broken hinge, but I just haven't had the time.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Clip from my Clip+ broke off in my pocket and it wasn't even hooked once! I don't really need clip to be honest, and i wasn't sad because it broke off.

Clip looks quite stylish without the clip, but once it was gone i had to remove spare plastic from back to have more plain surface.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 AM

When the clip broke off of my Clip + I used a fingernail smoothing file after clipping off the big bits with wire cutters. Not a normal two sided file, this is one that is used to smooth the tops of fingernails, to get ridges out. It is basically gradually smoother sandpaper on a stick, I think mine has 4 different textures. By the time I got to the smoothest selection the back of mine was smooth as a baby's bottom. OK, fine, not that smooth, but it did look pretty darn good, and I think the fingernail smoother cost me all of $2 at Walmart.
S