android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Possible to load library books to external drive and then to zip clip?

Still new to this game. Will be traveling and wondering if can have audiobooks located on external drive (WD Passport) which can be transferred to zip clip?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Don't know why not, unless they're DRM-crippled files from Audible or the library. But you will still need a computer in between the two to handle the transfer.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I'm not sure I understand the question, but yes you can add files to a Clip. Probably thats not what you want to know though?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Wondering if I can initially download library audiobooks thru OverDrive Media onto an external drive. Following that can I thne move them to my zip clip?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

People have loaded via Overdrive onto the Clip, but I don't know if that included an interim stop on an external drive--that might cause file license issues.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueterry View Post
Wondering if I can initially download library audiobooks thru OverDrive Media onto an external drive. Following that can I thne move them to my zip clip?
Now that you explain further no, I don't believe this is possible. The Overdrive Console is going to need to see an authorized device to transfer its DRM-encrypted content too. Something your external hard drive is not.

Additionally, it is going to require MTP mode to transfer the licemsing 'keys' to the drive. Your external hard drive is not equipped with an MTP mode. And even if it were possible to load this time-sensitive content to the hard drive, when you attempt to transfer it to a different device (your player) the DRM encryption is going to prevent those files from playing. That's what DRM does, prevents unauthorized transfer and/or playing on un-authorized devices.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Now that you explain further no, I don't believe this is possible. The Overdrive Console is going to need to see an authorized device to transfer its DRM-encrypted content too. Something your external hard drive is not.

Additionally, it is going to require MTP mode to transfer the licemsing 'keys' to the drive. Your external hard drive is not equipped with an MTP mode. And even if it were possible to load this time-sensitive content to the hard drive, when you attempt to transfer it to a different device (your player) the DRM encryption is going to prevent those files from playing. That's what DRM does, prevents unauthorized transfer and/or playing on un-authorized devices.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion above.

The OP still might try--at least at one time, it was possible to do something like this with Audible files, manually copying and pasting the content and license files from the "interim" device to the player.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You could try putting some audiobooks on a microSDHC card in the player and see if they will play from there. If so, then you might be able to take the card out and put a different card in the player and load other books on the second card, then swap the first card back in and see if the files will play from the first card. Putting protected files on card memory sometimes will work, but sometimes the files are unplayable from there. Turn off the player before adding or removing a card.

Does Overdrive let you select what bitrate the files will be on your player at? I use 32kbps mono mp3 for my spoken word files which sounds just fine. That way the files take up just 1/4 of the space they would use at 128kbps. my spoken word files though are usually podcasts(which unfortunately are sometimes posted at 64kbps or 128kbps). Only a few kind websites post their podcasts at 32kbps.