android
Old 12-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Default NWZ-S545 audio out aux for car

Is there a setting on the NWZ-S545 for audio out aux for car? On my older Walkman there was this setting. If you didn't set it for line out and then plugged it from the ear phone jack/line out into your car's AUX jack you could barely hear it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2009, 12:23 PM

There isn't any type of setting like you described above on the S545. The only output is the headphone ouput - and it does not double as a line out. The only way to get a line out is to get an accessory that plugs into the WM-Port that has a line out on it (see your other post about car chargers, the charger that I linked to has a line out).

Matt

Old 12-24-2009, 01:08 PM

It says its designed for S600 Series and I have a S545. Would it work? Wonder why Sony doesn't sell it.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:17 PM

It should work (I'd buy it if I needed it). As far as I know, all WM-Port accessories will work with all Walkmans that have a WM-Port. I think it's last years model that is being clearanced out, which is probably why Sony isn't carrying it on it's website anymore. I bought the BCR-NWU5 cradle for my S545 and it works fine even though it doesn't say it is compatible with the S545.

Matt

Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Here is the link to the car charger/line out at SonyStyle. It is no longer available through Sony. The charger at Amazon is sold through Tiger Direct, but if you order it, order it through Amazon because the shipping is half as much as ordering directly from Tiger Direct.

Matt

Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM

How strange Sony doesn't carry it. Seems people would want to use it in their cars. Its not in the Sony store either.

So if i get it, the line out option will give me the true volume level I will need? Because I know the earphone jack output won't be strong enough or I will have to crank up the volume.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambloke View Post
How strange Sony doesn't carry it. Seems people would want to use it in their cars. Its not in the Sony store either.

So if i get it, the line out option will give me the true volume level I will need? Because I know the earphone jack output won't be strong enough or I will have to crank up the volume.
All you need to do is turn the equalizer and Clear Bass/Clear Stereo off, and turn the volume to 25/30, and it will work just fine. I have used mine that way both with home stereos and a car stereo.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambloke View Post
So if i get it, the line out option will give me the true volume level I will need?
That is how I would expect it to work. I don't have the DCC-NWC1, so I can't tell you for sure. Below is a link to the users manual.

DCC-NWC1 User Manual (157kb PDF)

Matt

Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 PM

Perfect thanks. Looks like this will do the job. Even has option of low and high output. I knew there had to be a solution. You shouldn't have to crank up the volume to get it to play through the car stereo aux jack. Would have been great to have the feature built in like my old NW-HD3.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM

still available in the uk :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DCCNWC1...pr_product_top

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 PM

Well I got the DCC-NWC1 car charger. It has a switch for high and low output. I played around with the settings. But to be honest, if I don't plug in the charger and just plug from the earphone jack directly into the AUX jack of my car stereo I have to increase the volume almost all the way. I then tried the charger/line out and its a little louder but not much. I expected more. I guess the benefit is the battery will never die on me because all I use it for is in the car. So it will be charging while I am playing it. I'm just glad I got it becuase Sony phases out models so often.

If anyone else uses this car charger/ line out let me know it it works for you.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've run mine on shuffle all at volume 27/30 with flat EQ but with Dynamic Normalizer on for 7.5 hours before,running into a stereo from the headphone jack, and it only used 25% of the battery capacity....not too shabby.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:08 AM

@williambloke: I ordered the car charger a couple of days ago but I haven't received it yet. I ordered it with the intentions of opening it up and seeing if I can use it as a line-out cable only and not as a 12v charger. I'm not sure if that will be possible or not.

With my Sony cradle that has a line out, my Walkman's volume controls are disabled and you must adjust the volume through the stereo component that it is conected to. Is the car charger the same? Or do you still adjust the volume through the Walkman? I prefer to adjust the volume through the stereo, like a true line-out. Thanks.

Matt

Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM

I got my DCC-NWC1 today.I needed to amplify the output with a higher level into the car stereo aux input ,because the output of the earphone jack is somewhat weak.
It seems to do a very good job on the high output setting it amplifies very well the bass really sounds improved and I don't have to crank the car stereo up all the way. For example without the DCC-NWC1 my setting were 26 for the car stereo and 23 for my NWZ-S544.With the DCC-NWC1 my settings are 19 for the car stereo and 20 for my NWZ-S544 and I get a nice volume level with improved bass.

Quote:
Or do you still adjust the volume through the Walkman?
The volume settings for my NWZ-S544 and car stereo are still adjustable when connected with the DCC-NWC1.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM

If I wanted to play my S545 through my car speakers, I just need that DCC-NWC1 cable? Do I need a docking cradle too?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrat View Post
If I wanted to play my S545 through my car speakers, I just need that DCC-NWC1 cable?
Yes. The DCC-NWC1 will plug into your car's 12v outlet and to your S545's WM-Port for power. For audio, it has an 3.5mm audio output on the bottom that you can plug into an aux input on your car stereo (if you have one).

And I want to make a correction on an earlier post of mine. I though that the DCC-NWC1 had a true line. It doesn't. It just has an "audio output" with a high/low switch (you will have to control the Walkman's volume on the S545 and on your car stereo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrat View Post
Do I need a docking cradle too?
No. If for some reason you wanted to use the dock in a car, it would work (but it only comes with an AC power adapter, not a 12v power adaper.) I wouldn't recommend the dock for car use though. With the S545 in the dock it's hard to reach the "down" button and control playback, not to mention where you would put a dock in a car. It's possible but I wouldn't recommend it.

Matt

Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMc3 View Post
And I want to make a correction on an earlier post of mine. I though that the DCC-NWC1 had a true line. It doesn't. It just has an "audio output" with a high/low switch (you will have to control the Walkman's volume on the S545 and on your car stereo).
Mine doesent, cant change the player volume when its plugged in and playing/charging, buttons dont do anything? And if anything the line out on high is a little quieter than the player on 30 from the headphone port, but maybe a little clearer (hard to tell see below)

Biggest issue i have is the NWC1 seems to be picking up engine noise interference, really noticable on pause or quiet bits , not sure if i have a dodgy unit, dodgy car (ie the 12V source has noise in it, or the fact i am linking 12V to aux in is causing some kind of feedback), or this is just a feature

Got it of Amazon (13) so its a pain to send back, so for now just using the NWC1 for charging and the headphone port as Aux out. If it bugs me enough will return

Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyesi View Post
Mine doesent, cant change the player volume when its plugged in and playing/charging, buttons dont do anything?
You are right. I based my last comment on a previous poster's answer to that question. I ordered my DCC-NWC1 last month because it was on clearance but have never even opened it up. This morning I plugged it in to my 12v outlet and I don't have volume control through the Walkman either, only through the car stereo (but I do have full menu control). To me that is encouraging because it acts line a line-out and not like a headphone-out. Althuogh I don't know why you would need a high/low switch if it was a line-out. The user manual confirms that the volume control on the Walkman will be disabled when plugged in.

I wasn't able to connect the audio line-out to my car stereo though since my line-in connection is on the back of the head unit. Which means I can't comment on any noise issues (My head unit has a USB input so I use a 16GB thumb drive for all of my car music - and in case anyone is wondering, my S545 will connect via USB to my head unit but the folders show up in a random order. Some folders show up as dashes with no music in them and some play fine. The S545 is locked out like it is when connected to a computer. I'll keep my MSC thumb drive.)

Matt

Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 AM

Hi, guyz!
Does NWC1's line out work if it is not connected to power outlet? Is it possible to use it just as line out cable?

EDIT:
OK, I've bought a WMC-NWV10 cable - works like a charm: line out, video out and the USB (data and charging) connections - all in one. Super

Last edited by dimmer; 06-19-2013 at 01:26 AM.