Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Did you do it like this?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Did you do it like this?
Just did that and it says "Formating ended with no success". Well it looks like name of this thread is quite adequate for my Clip.

Well, as You said WalkGood, i guess I'll have to wait so the battery will completely drain.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakbeat View Post
Just did that and it says "Formating ended with no success". ...
That sucks :/

Quote:
... i guess I'll have to wait so the battery will completely drain.
I was able to connect mine successfully to refirmware on 2 occasions, while I'm not sure if that will work at this point it's worth trying several times. As a last resort, I'd follow the RB instructions here but read the warning. If that doesn't work, it could be a hardware issue that just can't be fixed

Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 AM

This is the same situation as mine http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,25225.0.html and it looks like this is beyond unbricking

Despite the fact I always prised Rockbox it was the last time i would install it, next player will run on OF for me.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Suit yourself. My oldest Clip+ has run Rockbox literally from the first day there was an available build. It's the player I use more than any other and has given me very reliable service. It may die on the next boot but if it does I won't be blaming my decision to use Rockbox.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 AM

I second skip’s response. Before it was even released on the original clip v1 I got a build from dfkt and subsequently built my own 2 or 3 times. While there were numerous glitches I stuck with it and never bricked my clip. Later I thought I bricked my clip v2 on two separate occasions, my own fault as I made mistakes making a build but was able to get it running again. Still running rockbox with no issues, even on my zip … gotta tell ya, if I brick my player, I know who’s at fault, ME.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

And I third skip's response. I've had Rockbox running on my Clip Zip since last November, very early in the porting process, and I didn't hesitate an instant when the first builds were out there, and I've never looked back. Plus I've used RB on multiple Clip+ and Fuzes (and now Android devices), and never bricked a player.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Marv, wasn't there a sansa you were involved with had that went bad? Started showing up as a disc that couldn't be read or formatted?

If my memory of that is correct, did you ever find a solution?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Marv, wasn't there a sansa you were involved with had that went bad? Started showing up as a disc that couldn't be read or formatted?

If my memory of that is correct, did you ever find a solution?
That was one that I had sold to a buddy (after removing Rockbox and just reinstalling the OF), and he had sent it through both the washer and the dryer....and four days after that had happened, then he asked me to look at it. So that one was well and truly dead.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
So it turn out that when i plug it to PC, i can see it as usb massive storage and system immediately wants to format Clip, but when i hit format button it shows that device has only 4mb capacity and when i try to format Clip, it says that it can't be formated.
That means the flash memory is either blank or burned out. Since you didn't do anything that would have erased it, and were apparently getting random file corruption before, my guess is the flash chip died.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
That means the flash memory is either blank or burned out. Since you didn't do anything that would have erased it, and were apparently getting random file corruption before, my guess is the flash chip died.
I've tried unbricking method presented on Rockbox site, the recovery one but nothing happened, so i gave up and it looks like I'll have to -unfortunately- say hello to my ipod since i have nothing else left.

So, thanks to everyone that tried to help me, especially WalkGood.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM

I have had 2 Clip+, both running OF, that will just stop for no reason, and shut off. Both are 8GB models, bot hhad Sandisk 32GB micro SD cards, all mp3/flac/off files tagged & RPG'd. Have reset both units with the long button presses, , have run chkdsk on both, reformatted both, all for naught.
I set them to shuffle thru all tracks, that is how I like to listen to music. One of them had RB on it for a bit (saw similar issue), but I preferred the OF since it resumes playing with just one button press. I finally gave up & returned the 2nd one, ,since I cannot for the life of me get this thing to play music longer than an hour or less before it quits. IS ther eanything else I should try before throwing it away. The SanDisk forums are useless...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try downloading the OF again and reinstalling it in the player? Sometimes the firmware in the player gets corrupted. Did you try deleting the database file(MTABLE.SYS) on the player and letting the player rebuild the database? I assume that you only add or remove a card while the player is off. Are your tags ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1? Did you remove all the tags the player doesn't support(album artist, composer, etc), remove all comments, and remove embedded album art(sometimes embedded album art causes problems). First try getting the player to work properly without a card in it.

With Rockbox you can pause or restart playing with just one button press if you change the screen setting that is by default first button press just turns on the screen.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Did you try downloading the OF again and reinstalling it in the player? Sometimes the firmware in the player gets corrupted. Did you try deleting the database file(MTABLE.SYS) on the player and letting the player rebuild the database? I assume that you only add or remove a card while the player is off. Are your tags ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1? Did you remove all the tags the player doesn't support(album artist, composer, etc), remove all comments, and remove embedded album art(sometimes embedded album art causes problems). First try getting the player to work properly without a card in it.

With Rockbox you can pause or restart playing with just one button press if you change the screen setting that is by default first button press just turns on the screen.
wow...lots of things to try here. Thanks very much for this! Will go at it this weekend.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Well, I deleted the MTABLE.sys file, reloaded the FW, but it didn't make any difference. Not sure about ID tags, tried checking them using Tag & Rename, but couldn't find any way to tell if all of my tags are ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1, since a lot of my music comes from various sources. I know the ESeries & Fuze never had any issues like this. They just played until I turned them off.