android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Home Audio, Car Audio, Amplifiers, Cables

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Default Anything I can use to get rid of hiss from laptop? Maybe like the product I linked?

http://www.frys.com/product/7038821?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Is that product any good? I am getting a decent amount of static noise from my laptop when I use my headphones, and as I have been told, I do not really need an amp (I just wish someone would tell me if it would hurt my headphones, I might buy one just to test it as long as I knew it would not like..blow my phones up) and so I was looking for something to clean up the sound on my laptop..would this help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tisumner; 05-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM

lol 49 views and no one has any thoughts on what I might could do to help get rid of that hiss from my laptop?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator

I usually use a Turtle Beach Amigo II to deal with internal noises from my PCs, both laptop and desktop. There's a number of other external USB cards like it around. I've heard some that cost more and some that cost less. iirc the cheapest one I heard was a CMedia external USB card that runs around $5. That was pretty bad, hissy and rolled off in the bass.

Other than that one the rest all sounded pretty much the same. If nothing else they got rid of the internal noises that happens when I change screens, scroll through a list quickly or do anything processor intensive. Listening through the external USB card I don't hear the clicks, dropouts and other types of noises that happen then.

BTW, there's a chance that having adding a amp to your laptop would deal with the hissing if that's the only problem there. I've come across a number of laptops and tablets that seem to have problems with high output impedance due to poorly implemented amp sections. The built in codecs now are usually pretty good but if the maker doesn't implement the amp section properly they can still sound bad.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisumner View Post
lol 49 views and no one has any thoughts on what I might could do to help get rid of that hiss from my laptop?
I looked at it cause I didn't know what a Diamond was. Maybe others did the same.

Steve

Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I looked at it cause I didn't know what a Diamond was. Maybe others did the same.

Steve
I'm guessing that's at least part of it. Descriptive thread titles help if you're serious about getting meaningful answers.

A title like "Is a External USB Card Like The Diamond Diamond ExtremeSound 7.1 A Good Solution for My Laptop Hiss Problem?" would be more likely to draw a response from someone that has one. It tells an interested person exactly what type of Diamond you mean. It also alerts others that you're trying to deal with a problem they may know how to solve.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Search for a "Turtle Beach USB Soundcard". Otherwise, your thread titles really DO suck!!! :-/

Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 PM

Alright alright, point taken lol.

"
BTW, there's a chance that having adding a amp to your laptop would deal with the hissing if that's the only problem there. I've come across a number of laptops and tablets that seem to have problems with high output impedance due to poorly implemented amp sections. The built in codecs now are usually pretty good but if the maker doesn't implement the amp section properly they can still sound bad."

Might you suggest an amp?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM

Well, I ordered a Fiio 6, it should be here tomorrow. I will let you all know how I like it and if it helps with the hissing. Now...just to find the right headphones lol

Old 05-22-2013, 11:47 PM

So..the E6 came today, and Its smaller than I had imagined, very compact. It is taking some of the hiss out of the sound from my laptop, but I wonder if a different soundcard or a DAC would do a better job. (feel free to have your say It does a nice job at adding a bit more bass punch to the sound as well. I am thinking of buying some cans that have a higher ohm rating, (around 56 ohms is the set I am looking at) and perhaps the amp will have more use with them.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
So..the E6 came today, and Its smaller than I had imagined, very compact. It is taking some of the hiss out of the sound from my laptop, but I wonder if a different soundcard or a DAC would do a better job.
Any decent DAC will completely remove the hiss.

Quote:
I am thinking of buying some cans that have a higher ohm rating, (around 56 ohms is the set I am looking at) and perhaps the amp will have more use with them.
Amps help with low impedance headphones. You will quite possibly find that with higher impedances that the hiss is low enough that you don't even need the amp at all unless it was very loud to begin with.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM

Thanks Saratoga! I do not know why, but for some reason, the science behind all this stuff eludes me and therefore makes me ask multiple times :P

Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You could get a Fiio E10. I like my E10 very much. Many computers come with built in sound that is not so good.