android
Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godbes View Post
Comments: I found, there are minimum 2 different kinds of ZIF Connectors, as you can see in the pictures attached. No. 2 did not work with the samsung drive. Not in a 30gb ZVM and not in a 60gb ZVM. There was always the message "hard disk problem". With connector No. 3 it works fine. But there is one issue: installing firmware needs long time (about 30min) and at the end, there is an error message on the computer: failed. But: restarting the ZVM, it works fine...
Hi,

My Zen had a Toshiba drive with connector 1.
I bought a Samsung HS12YHA and a connector 2 and I confirm it doesn't work.
Do you know where I could find connector 3 ? I searched on Google and on eBay but I only find connector 2...

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2013, 04:55 AM

mrtrevor1945's page on eBay shows he's selling more than one, so he may have both kinds - it'd be worthwhile to send him a message, that is, if you haven't already.
Nokia Lumia 822 16GB+64GB

Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 AM

Well, no.
It's from them that I bought mine and they only have model 2

Last edited by JohnnyCaramello; 05-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCaramello View Post
Well, no.
It's from them that I bought mine and they only have model 2
Don't know if you still need the ZIF connector but I did this upgrade today using ZIF connector from portatronics.com with the Samsung HS12YHA and it works great! I didn't need to file down the ZIF at all and it was pretty easy to put everything together. Hope this helps you!
P.S. make sure you specify that you want the Creative not some generic one because I ordered 2 and one was Creative one was generic I use the Creative one and it works.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana88 View Post
Don't know if you still need the ZIF connector but I did this upgrade today using ZIF connector from portatronics.com with the Samsung HS12YHA and it works great! I didn't need to file down the ZIF at all and it was pretty easy to put everything together. Hope this helps you!
P.S. make sure you specify that you want the Creative not some generic one because I ordered 2 and one was Creative one was generic I use the Creative one and it works.
Wow, that's great. Sure I still need it.
I'll order one. Shipping is 39.50$ to Belgium which is quite expensive but currently the drive is in it's box, useless. So...
Thanks a lot, I'll keep you posted with the results once I receive the cable.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana88 View Post
By the way, does your drive have the Apple logo on it ?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM

WoW that's expensive for shipping to Belgium....
The drive I got didn't have the Apple logo. I bought that on Amazon. I also replaced the battery while I upgrade the drive. Everything works great! Hope yours will be soon! Let me know if you need help!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Success!

Player version: 30GB (Firmware: 1.41.01)
Installed drive: Toshiba MK3006GAL
Connector: Had to purchase ZIF connector for the new hard drive.
Replaced with: Toshiba 120GB MK1214GAH
Comments: ZIF was difficult at first, but managed to connect the new drive after some sanding, a little patience, and careful force. Trust me, it takes a lot more than Zero Insertion Force to insert this connector! I also installed a new extended battery pack, which is why I am currently running firmware 1.41.

Thanks to all who contributed to this upgrade!

Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Default Zen Vision M upgrade Samsung HS08YHA 80GB

Player version: Zen Vision M 30GB Firmware: V1.62.02
Original drive: Hitachi Travelstar HTC426030G5CE00
Connector: ZIF
Upgraded with: Samsung HS08YHA (80GB, 8Mb cache, 5mm height)
Comments: Slightly sanded flex zif pcb with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (not conductor side!). Like others, the flex pcb doesn't push into the drive's zif connector very deeply. If you can format and reinstall firmware you're done. Did get a firmware upgrade failure at end of firmware update, but it's fully functional. Both rubber bumpers will not fit into the case. Also previously reported, just use the rubber cushion at the connector end of the drive and leave out the other bumper. I inserted a thick sheet of paper (trimmed business card) under the drive to prevent it from damaging the zen's motherboard. If you leave one of the rubber bumpers out you will need something to prevent the drive from scuffing the motherboard. Works great. Contact Randall at Data Integrity Solutions (760) 343-3200 for a great deal on fully tested drives. Tell him the minicomputer guy from Arizona referred you. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Problems removing the ribbon cable

Player version: 60GB (Firmware: 1.21.02)
Installed drive: Seagate ST760211DE
Connector: Model: PD1580G
Replacing with: Toshiba MK1634 120GB
Comments: I am new here so please make the replies easy to understand!

Following other threads I have disassembled my Zen and removed the HDD. Again following advice from other threads I have ordered a replacement drive. But, I cannot see how to remove the ribbon cable from the Seagate HDD.

Is this possible or do I have to purchase a new ribbon cable and if I do what type do I buy and from where?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM

Default Samsung HS12YHA (120Gb)

Player version: 60GB - slimline (Firmware before: 1.21.02e / after: 1.21.02e)
Installed drive: Seagate Lyrion ST760211DE (p/n 9CR712-220)
Replaced with: Samsung HS12YHA 120Gb
Comments:

Just wanted to give my account of making this change. Firstly, I managed to install the Creative Media Explorer on my Windows 7 machine using the instructions on another thread (basically, unZipping the setup file and running setup.exe from the \setup folder as administrator). I only mention this in case it's relevant to my successes.

I had already recently replaced the battery on my beloved Zen which was a tight squeeze in itself, so taking apart the device was fine (YouTube for videos on how to do this). I was prepared that I might have to sand down the zif connector, but never really understood which bit of it, and what that meant. As it turned out, whilst a lot of care was needed to reconnect the new drive, I didn't have to do any sanding.

Once the new drive was in place, and in case it didn't work, I didn't put it all back together again until the very end. So anyway, I booted up the player, and tried to format the new drive, but got a hard drive error! I took the ZIF connector out and turned it around - in case I had done it the wrong way, but got the same error. I switched it back the other way, and made sure it was all the way in, and this time the drive formatted fine - and very quickly, actually.

Contrary to other experiences, I was then able to flash the player with firmware v1.21.02e and using Windows 7 - I don't know whether my having a working copy of the Media Explorer installed helped, or not, but it worked using the downloaded executable. I (like everyone) got the message telling me the firmware update had failed, but a quick reboot and I find myself with a lovely 111Gb disk space! I transferred a couple of albums to check it was all fine, which it was, so I put it back together again.

As with replacing the battery, this was the hardest thing of the whole process! But with a little patience, in the end, I was able to do so without forcing it (too much), and with both the blue plastic hard drive protectors in place.

I'm not sure if anyone reads this thread these days (except me!) but thanks to everyone for posting, I have read it, and re-read it many times over the last few years, dreaming of having the guts to update my player. The dying battery forced me to open it up, and now I've gone the whole hog, YAY!
upgraded to 60gb
Battery life poor now, but actually still going!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You're not the only one that reads this thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:44 PM

i am about to try this myself.i have the 2nd type of ZIF connector and am thinking of installing Toshiba MK8025GAL 80G in my zen vision 60m replacing the HITACHI 1.8 HTC426060G8CE00.do i need a different cable?also taking my zen apart theres a tiny rubber rectangle that fell out and im not sure where it goes,does it go over the small black piece in the corner on the left of the larger black rectangle left of where the zif ribbon plugs in? it gets blurry when i try to enlarge
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...m-13-thumb.jpg

Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Player version: 60GB - slimline (Firmware before: 1.21.02e / after: 1.21.02e)
Installed drive: Seagate Lyrion ST760211DE (p/n 9CR712-220)
Replaced with: Samsung HS12YHA 120Gb
Comments:

I had the same configuration as icypurplepants above so felt confident in starting this upgrade when my hard disk died.

ZIF connector inserted with zero force funnily enough i exected it to be more difficult.

My battery was completely discharged and after I had fitted the HDD it was connected to the pc via the dock. I thought I had problems because the touch pad would not move the selection bar on the menu to format the drive. However when I undocked the ZVM I could move the selection bar and formatted the HDD.

The Zen Explorer was showing 50MB so I flashed the ZFM with firmware v1.21.02e using Windows 7 . I got the message telling me the firmware update had failed, but a quick reboot and gives me 111Gb disk space!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post I am now back up and running with nearly twice as much disk space:-)

Tags
hard drive, hdd, swap, switch, tested